Thread: Replace Trane XR11 18,000 outside unit only with XV18?

Post Likes

Replace Trane XR11 18,000 outside unit only with XV18?

I have a 14 year old Trane XR11 18,000btu A/C which neighbors complain is very noisy. The unit cools fine.
    I had a contractor look at it with me and determined the noise - 86db @ 3' - is coming from the fan and not the compressor by temporarily running a few seconds with the fan motor disconnected.
    The contractor changed the fan motor anyway and the noise INCREASED by 2db.
    Washed the condenser coils which seem clear and no noise change.
    I don't think the unit is any noisier than installed - just neighbors spending more time outdoors these days.

SO:
    1) Is there any baffle material that can help?
    2) would a fan blade type change help (14")?
    3) If the outside unit is replaced with a Trane XV18 - quietest current unit (smallest is 24,000 btu and new refrigerant type) can the existing indoor XR11 unit and piping be reused?
    4) any other suggestion?

Thanks

Post Likes
    No, you need a matching indoor unit.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Well my suggestion is to find the root of the noise.
    Sometimes it's just an out of balance or bent fan blade. And sometimes something as simple as a capacitor that's getting weak.
    And in extreme cases there are special fan blades that are shaped like a wing to run quieter.
    But the first question is what kind of shape is the coil in? Is it bent up? Because if fins are bent then straightening with a comb would help.
    And the next question is.... is the condenser coil actually clean?
    I like to have the unit running and watch my head pressures before and after cleaning.
    And when cleaning i prefer to hose it out really good with a garden hose.
    I hate seeing perfectly good equipment replaced because someone missed the basics
    Oh one more thing to add. I ran into this a few years ago. Someone replaced the condenser fan motor with the wrong rpm.
    Unit needed 850 rpm motor and a 1075 was installed.
    You don't gain experience without making mistakes

Post Likes
    Where can I get a "special fan blades that are shaped like a wing to run quieter"? 14" for 1/2" shaft.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George1110 View Post
    Where can I get a "special fan blades that are shaped like a wing to run quieter"? 14" for 1/2" shaft.
    This is why wer're not allowed to give DIY advice (see the red banner above).

You're rushing off on an assumption that this would be the solution when in fact it's not.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Is it the fan making the noise or the compressor? In those days they usually used to old recip compressor, often with a wrap around it, but it still was noisy. The swept wing fan blade is quieter than the traditional blades in most cases but I sure wouldn't go changing blades, could take out your motor or not move enough air and overheat t he compressor. The smaller units would have a 1075 RPM motor and most swept blade units have 825 RPM motor.