Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112

Thread: Got Knocked on my butt today. UPDATE: Non Contact Voltage Detector

Post Likes
    Newoldtech. Thank you for getting knocked on your butt. I have learned a lot on this thread and watching mike holt videos.
    This makes sense as I remember as a kid grandpa sticking rods in the ground and connecting an extension cord for night crawlers. Never tripped a breaker. Ya dangerous I know.
    1 question. Why do electricians sink a ground rod at generators ? And pool heaters if the earth ground really doesn’t do anything ?

Post Likes
    My guess' would be that generators wouldn't be connected to the utility ground. And a pool heater could be a life threatening thingy. Just a little thing . . .
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Safety First. Your Meter is your friend and definitely my most important tool. I had a problem with a 40hp 460/3PH blower motor on resilient rubber mounts at 02:00 in the morning. The call was "High Temp and No Airflow" for a unit serving a Motor Control Center/Electrical Distribution Room. The C phase was shorted to the motor frame. Thank God I checked for for power on the frame before I touched it to see if it was hot to the touch and possibly overheated. Guess what, the frame was live. I've been zapped before and I learned fast. This should be a standard practice in our industry to check and don't assume the guy before you was competent or safety oriented. My situation occurred because the previous company's Tech never completely grounded the motor when they replaced it years ago. Shame on anybody that doesn't ensure proper grounding. The next Tech can get seriously injured or die. I've had several other situations similar to this.

Post Likes

Got Knocked on my butt today. UPDATE: Non Contact Voltage Detector

Quote Originally Posted by actech2 View Post
    Newoldtech. Thank you for getting knocked on your butt. I have learned a lot on this thread and watching mike holt videos.
    This makes sense as I remember as a kid grandpa sticking rods in the ground and connecting an extension cord for night crawlers. Never tripped a breaker. Ya dangerous I know.
    1 question. Why do electricians sink a ground rod at generators ? And pool heaters if the earth ground really doesn’t do anything ?
    The biggest reason people drive ground rods at generators is because it was required in the installation manual of most generators until recently. There was a big stir about that a few years back with some of Generac’s engineers staunchly defending the practice. Long story short, Generac removed it from their manuals, and most of the industry followed suit. The end result was no additional hazards and Generac’s warranty claims for lightning damaged control boards went down something like 80%.

Pool heaters would not necessarily have ground rods either, but they DO need to be bonded to the equipotential grid. Pools are a whole different animal, and warrant careful attention to the bonding.
    Last edited by Joab; 09-25-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Post Likes
    After asking about generators I thought about it. They are there own power plant so I guess they would need grounded as they separate from the grid so not to back feed and kill a lineman somewhere. And pool heaters idk. But unless a heat pump I’m normally on the gas side anyhow.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112