Thread: Supco Balance Tester

Post Likes

Supco Balance Tester

I have been reading Henry Ehrens' classic article "Theory and Field Problems of the Capillary Tube". The discussion regarding his patented "Balance Tester" makes me think he has a "shifted" PT chart on the gauge showing temperature only, probably tied to R12.

If true, shouldn't that work with any refrigerant? Since I have a disassembled small R22 dehumidifier on the bench, I figured a quick measurement was called for. With the suction side open to ambient, the high side sits at 175PSIG.

Assuming this thing was designed to sit in a 75* environment with evap coil around 40*, and assuming:
    105* high side 211 psig
    30* low side, 55 psig

or a 156 psig difference. Not too far off, but am I thinking this through correctly, or am I missing something? (or maybe the system has a problem)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rexp View Post
    I have been reading Henry Ehrens' classic article "Theory and Field Problems of the Capillary Tube". The discussion regarding his patented "Balance Tester" makes me think he has a "shifted" PT chart on the gauge showing temperature only, probably tied to R12.

If true, shouldn't that work with any refrigerant? Since I have a disassembled small R22 dehumidifier on the bench, I figured a quick measurement was called for. With the suction side open to ambient, the high side sits at 175PSIG.

Assuming this thing was designed to sit in a 75* environment with evap coil around 40*, and assuming:
    105* high side 211 psig
    30* low side, 55 psig

or a 156 psig difference. Not too far off, but am I thinking this through correctly, or am I missing something? (or maybe the system has a problem)
    That is an amazing article. I'd love to work with that guy. I think you're on the right track but some of the others like @icemeister would be better qualified to say.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk