Thread: Any reason to use only time termination verses time/temp defrost timer for WIF?

Post Likes

Any reason to use only time termination verses time/temp defrost timer for WIF?

I was doing the electrical/control wiring (my main trade area) for multi door freezer in grocery store. I installed the conductors needed for temp termination for the defrost timer as the tstat was part of the case, shown on the wiring diagram.

The refr guy gave me the time only termination clock--Paragon 8045-20. I said don't you use the 8145-20?

He said no....never......the timer will take care of it.

In my mind, 8145 gives you a belt and suspenders approach and have always used it for freezers.

A couple of years later they had to toss a few doors of thawed ice cream.
    The owner said something about a failed time clock.
    I had no comment at the time, it wasn't my refrigeration job.

Do any of you have a good reason to not use temp/time termination rather than time only??

Post Likes
    A waste of energy, harder on the equipment .

The clock doesn't know how much ice has formed, the t-stat termination does, the timer is only a back up!

3. Likes rickl liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I should add there is a Pressure termination clock but I dont think were talking that style.

Post Likes
    I only do restaurant and convenience store type walk-in freezers but I can't think of any good reason not to use a Time/temp defrost clock.

Sure, it should work fine one way or the other but why not have the extra protection for the product?

Another post mentioned that a timer doesn't know how much ice is on the coil. That's true but generally speaking if your evap hasn't defrosted before a decent time limit has elapsed seems to me you've got bigger issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6. Likes bacciagalupe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    the timer is only a back up!
    That's a good way to think of it. Usually the timer is lengthened to the worst case scenario and the DT runs the show. The main clue there is a problem with the DT is condensation inside the unit or stalactites in a freezer.

8. Likes bacciagalupe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    True, is a waste of energy, overheat the box up and then cool it back down.
    Also was a waste of ice cream.....could be a ton of frozen meat also.

I noticed on another store that I usually cover. The timer had been replaced and the kick out wire was taped up.
    He replaced the clock for the owner.