Thread: Need advice. Rheem scroll.

Post Likes

Need advice. Rheem scroll.

System
    Central A/C; residential home; Rheem scroll; matched system; has worked well for many years.

Maintenance
    Low-restriction high-flow filters changed frequently; condenser coil & fan blades cleaned annually; evaporator coil clean (both sides - inflow and outflow); blower fan blades clean; condensate drain cleaned annually.

Problem
    Approximately every 4-years, it freezes up (ice visible outdoors). Tech comes out, adds 1-pound R-22, then system performs within spec.

QUESTION
    I'd like to "catch" the low-charge condition BEFORE it freezes up. Right now, the compressor is beginning to --- every so slightly --- resonate. It makes a oscillating rrrrr-RRRRR-rrrrr-RRRRR-rrrrr sound. I know that many things can cause the compressor to resonate. However, I would like to know if a "lower than optimal" charge can cause the resonance.

Please advise. Thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    Fix the leak!

3. Likes bobboan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Agreed, the leak should be located and repaired or new equipment considered if repairing is too expensive.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    OP here. Yes, of course, fix the leak. Given that, I'm still interested to know if the resonation of the compressor indicates that the system is low on refrigerant. I'm aware that many things can cause a compressor to resonate. But, my question remains: Can low charge cause it to resonate? Please advise. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Yes
    No
    Maybe

Post Likes
    If I understand every 4 years the system freezes and a pound is added. Have the system serviced every 2 years and the tech will catch it before it freezes assuming you call early enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in