+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Effects of high humidity

Post Likes

Effects of high humidity

Can anyone give me some idea of the effects of high humidity on a system as regards subcool & superheat? How about Delta T?

I am seeing some low Delta T's where there is high humidity. Granted floor supply with floor returns account for some of this.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Well with high humidity you have more btus going into latent heat (this takes away from sensible heat). In other words, you have energy being removed that results in phase change of water and not in a change in temperature of the air. Therefore, high humidity indoors can reduce the delta t some. As far as sub cool and superheat it's been my experience that those are not affected that much. I mean if the charge is correct and the txv is good the subcool and superheat should be fairly normal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JayMan7; 07-07-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I would think that high indoor humidity could cause symptoms of high evaporator load at slightly lower temps than normal.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

4. Likes george3 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Per JayMan7, higher humidity- lower DT, lower humidity- higher DT. The change is in the latent/sensible ratio's. Changing air flow changes DT & latent/sensible ratio.

TXV units should have no change on SSH, SC may be slightly lower with lower humidity.

Orifice units will change a good bit on SC & SSH. Note the differences on the charging charts at different return evaporator air WB's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Per JayMan7, higher humidity- lower DT, lower humidity- higher DT. The change is in the latent/sensible ratio's. Changing air flow changes DT & latent/sensible ratio.

TXV units should have no change on SSH, SC may be slightly lower with lower humidity.

Orifice units will change a good bit on SC & SSH. Note the differences on the charging charts at different return evaporator air WB's.
    Oh very true! I completely didn't think about pistons. Definitely the reason charging with target sh and wb is so important.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Great explanation guys. Thanks.

Makes total sense now. But to tell the truth, it was something I already learned/knew. Just needed confirmation
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

8. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm gonna say that the higher humidity does not change the operation of the CU ,due to, the CU is operating on a TD between the HOT freon and the "air". The "air" and the hot humidity/water are both at the same temp.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I'm gonna say that the higher humidity does not change the operation of the CU ,due to, the CU is operating on a TD between the HOT freon and the "air". The "air" and the hot humidity/water are both at the same temp.
    With high humidity in the conditioned area. The refrigerant returning to the condenser, would be warmer than if the humidity was low. So the condensers SC would drop some from normal operation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    With high humidity in the conditioned area. The refrigerant returning to the condenser, would be warmer than if the humidity was low. So the condensers SC would drop some from normal operation.
    This is all great info.

Sometimes I am so fascinated by the physics and technology of the trade.

Makes me so proud to be part of it.

12. Likes R600a, beenthere, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just had a post about humidity issue and low SH, high suction, low head and low subcooling....

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mpenney View Post
    I just had a post about humidity issue and low SH, high suction, low head and low subcooling....
    That is almost exactly what I came across today.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I did limit my response to the CU only.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in