+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Unit a warranty Issue?

Post Likes

Painting Unit a warranty Issue?

Okay... have a commercial client who has three Green Turd Goodman units all about two years old...

They want all three painted Purple to match their business better.

Will this hurt the warranty any?

My plan is to do them one at a time removing the fan motor the side metal that wraps around the unit, and the bottom carefully.

I discussed it with a body shop who will strip the metal chemically of all paint, prime, and paint with PPG waterborne then an automotive clear coat.

They are at $600 per unit.

What is the chance this will impact the warranty? Obviously the tags won’t be painted over. Not sure if we can peal them off with a heat gun then put them back down or if they should be masked odd.

Also, do you think it is possible to get the bottom out without unbrazing the compressor from the condenser coil. Do you think if I unbolt the compressor thst I can lift it and the compressor gently from the base?

The reason I ask is it becomes a MUCH bigger project if I have to recover refrigerant, and braze braze our and back in the condenser coils and replace driers.

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    Warranty covers only defects in workmanship and materials. Anything else that is done to the unit to affect operation, efficiency or reliability is at customers risk & expense is typical of mfg warranties.

Post Likes
    "What Problems Does This Warranty Cover?
    This warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship that appear under normal use and maintenance."

"What Problems Does This Warranty Not Cover?Goodman is not responsible for:·
    Damage or repairs required as a consequence of faulty installation or application.·
    Damage as a result of floods, fires, winds, lightning, accidents,corrosive atmosphere, or other conditions beyond Goodman’s control.·
    Damage or the need for repairs arising from the use of components or accessories not compatible with this unit.·
    Normal maintenance as described in the installation and operating manual, such as cleaning of the coils, filter cleaning and/or replacement, and lubrication.·
    Parts or accessories not supplied or designated by the manufacturer.·
    Damage or the need for repairs resulting from any improper use, maintenance, operation, or servicing.·
    Damage or failure of the unit to start due to interruption in electrical service or inadequate electrical service.·
    Any damage caused by frozen or broken water pipes in the event of equipment failure.·
    Changes in the appearance of the unit that do not affect its performance."
    Typical warranty: https://www.goodmanmfg.com/pdfviewer....pdf?view=true

Post Likes
    As far as I am concerned painting a Goodman purple is a benefit!
    Now if they are "older" Goodmans, I wish you luck getting them back together...
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    If you do this can we get pictures? Before, disassembly, after.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

6. Likes R600a, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    As far as I am concerned painting a Goodman purple is a benefit!
    Now if they are "older" Goodmans, I wish you luck getting them back together...
    They are not that bad. You just have to have the touch.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    "What Problems Does This Warranty Not Cover?Goodman is not responsible for:·
    Damage or repairs required as a consequence of faulty installation or application.·
    [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="#000000"]This could be Nothing, and a Big Fat Can of Worms all at the same time. I have painted more than 50, and less than 75 York 5 ton Pathfinder Package units without any warranty problems (see my Outside the Box Post). BUT, i spent over 1/4 of a million dollars to the dealer, so we had an understanding on paper. Lastly, i did not remove the hard frame panels, but painted them in place. The ONLY way to know for sure, is to discuss with dealer/factory and get waiver prior to. Otherwise, you may find the new/other dealer saying that the unit ate the cond. fan motor because the unit was put back together Caddy-Wompice, which caused the failure.

LZ....

PS: Painted White Rubberized paint for Harsh Weather Conditions in the West Indies, as one example.
    [/COLOR

Post Likes
    They are going through a lot of effort to do a nice paint job on those things. I’m surprised they are asking for the chassis to be painted though. Seems a little excessive for a super market... what kind of store is this anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    They are going through a lot of effort to do a nice paint job on those things. I’m surprised they are asking for the chassis to be painted though. Seems a little excessive for a super market... what kind of store is this anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is a Bar & Grill owned by a bunch of LGBTQ type and has a purple, pink, and black outdoor painting scheme, but honestly their money is Green, so I have no problem making their visions and dreams happen; since, it really matters to them.

These are off to the side, but I can see how they feel the units being visible from the parking lot clash with the building they spent so much time and money making it look exactly the way it does.

At least they are consulting with an HVAC company instead of painters who would likely seal the condenser coils in some poly urethane, and we would have to see if Yellow Death can clean that.

We told them we need to check it doesn't violate the warranty terms, and that we would need to sub-contract the actual painting with a body shop to get suitable "quality" results. I even got a scrap of some painted tape with the same hideous purple as the building, and the autobody shop says they can match it. They already even painted a small piece of sheet metal and cleared it...; I need to pick that up, so I could show the bar owners the color match and how nice and shiny the units will look while having a relatively flawless match. It turns out during Corona Virus, the body shops are NOT busy and are looking for easy work that doesn't require a bunch of prep, sanding, and insurance stuff. We told the bar owners it will be expensive somewhere between $1100 and $1800 a unit depending upon if we need to unbraze the condenser coils to get the bottom.

I am now considering offering to leave the bottom removing only the top, fan motor, and side steel if they are okay. I can offer that perhaps as a solution to get the cost down to about $900 a piece ... and save myself the hassle, time, and aggravation of unbolting the compressors and trying to lift the entire condenser coil off the bottom hoping the weight of the compressor does not bend the copper lines... then trying to get the turds back together again.

It would make it VERY easy for us. I think I am going to offer the job at $1000 each, be clear the bottom cannot be done cheap, and while I will not say anything, I am going to clean the condenser coils when all the parts are in paint, so they go together looking factory clean. I told them I recommend against doing the fan blades, and they agreed. What I did not tell them is that it is because they are often a PITA to remove from the motor shafts even with a puller and often times I end up having to drill the shafts. These units are also very quiet and I do NOT want to disturb the balance, so I will be very careful when I remove the motors with fan blades to set them down where they will not be bothered (probably will store each motor on their roof one at a time. They have a ladder mounted on the side of the building making it very easy and safe to climb up there.

Post Likes
    One other option comes to mind, Have you looked into a Heavy Duty "Vinyl Wrap"? You would still need to touch-up and rattle can detail around the lovers etc, but the Customer Could be even More Creative with their own Personalized Detailed Design.

LZ.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Had a brand new building next to the airport with a white roof. Customer wanted the brand new Trane’s white nobody said sh*t as long as the coils didn’t get painted. Has a couple of pizza huts wanting red cu as well. All of these were painted on site by professional painters, but not the chassis though.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    God forbid pvc fence panels are used to contain the area.......krylon every 5 years or mix red and blue rustoleum ...

No one will really care what the outside looks like...the Coil cleaner will kill the paint anyway...If they don’t get jacked first, If left on the ground... lol..Or a customer vehicle crashes into it..
    Couple of 36-48” angle brackets Into the wall 8’ off the ground! Done!

https://atelair.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/air_conditioner_installed_on_wall_brackets-300x236.jpg

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    They are not that bad. You just have to have the touch.

said with the face of OMG!!!! LOL
    "Orange Man RAD!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NETWizz View Post
    It is a Bar & Grill owned by a bunch of LGBTQ type and has a purple, pink, and black outdoor painting scheme, but honestly their money is Green, so I have no problem making their visions and dreams happen; since, it really matters to them.

These are off to the side, but I can see how they feel the units being visible from the parking lot clash with the building they spent so much time and money making it look exactly the way it does.

At least they are consulting with an HVAC company instead of painters who would likely seal the condenser coils in some poly urethane, and we would have to see if Yellow Death can clean that.

We told them we need to check it doesn't violate the warranty terms, and that we would need to sub-contract the actual painting with a body shop to get suitable "quality" results. I even got a scrap of some painted tape with the same hideous purple as the building, and the autobody shop says they can match it. They already even painted a small piece of sheet metal and cleared it...; I need to pick that up, so I could show the bar owners the color match and how nice and shiny the units will look while having a relatively flawless match. It turns out during Corona Virus, the body shops are NOT busy and are looking for easy work that doesn't require a bunch of prep, sanding, and insurance stuff. We told the bar owners it will be expensive somewhere between $1100 and $1800 a unit depending upon if we need to unbraze the condenser coils to get the bottom.

I am now considering offering to leave the bottom removing only the top, fan motor, and side steel if they are okay. I can offer that perhaps as a solution to get the cost down to about $900 a piece ... and save myself the hassle, time, and aggravation of unbolting the compressors and trying to lift the entire condenser coil off the bottom hoping the weight of the compressor does not bend the copper lines... then trying to get the turds back together again.

It would make it VERY easy for us. I think I am going to offer the job at $1000 each, be clear the bottom cannot be done cheap, and while I will not say anything, I am going to clean the condenser coils when all the parts are in paint, so they go together looking factory clean. I told them I recommend against doing the fan blades, and they agreed. What I did not tell them is that it is because they are often a PITA to remove from the motor shafts even with a puller and often times I end up having to drill the shafts. These units are also very quiet and I do NOT want to disturb the balance, so I will be very careful when I remove the motors with fan blades to set them down where they will not be bothered (probably will store each motor on their roof one at a time. They have a ladder mounted on the side of the building making it very easy and safe to climb up there.
    Was going to post, "Don't paint the condenser coils, had a Dairy Queen contract a painter to paint all of his ac units red, I showed up to see why the ac wasn't working about an hour after he had painted the first one..."
    "Orange Man RAD!"

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMSG01 View Post
    Was going to post, "Don't paint the condenser coils, had a Dairy Queen contract a painter to paint all of his ac units red, I showed up to see why the ac wasn't working about an hour after he had painted the first one..."
    Paint & primer in one with an airless what could go wrong. Make sure the fans are on to pull the paint in between the fins real well.

"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    LZ,

Vinyl wrap is porbably the most frustrating thing I've ever worked with in my life, it's not as easy as it looks, I wrapped a motorcycle tank in it and it took me around 8 hours, had to redo it 3 or 4 times, heat gun, scraper, the works, could not get it to look good. Perhaps with an AHU it's easier because it's mainly square corners, but you'd be covering up screws left right and center or cutting them out once it's wrapped.

Did some fairings as well, it's the dimples, soft radius corners and sharp corners that make it difficult.

It could be done, but painting may be better, though I will say, sounds like vinyl wrap would be easier than going through all that, you'd just have to clean the unit really well before wrapping.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Paint & primer in one with an airless what could go wrong. Make sure the fans are on to pull the paint in between the fins real well.

Lol, I put a new RTU in years ago ...installed All new 1” reduced to 3/4” gas piping To the unit as it didn’t have gas heat before and Spray painted all the Gas piping with Rustoleum yellow... I didn’t think it was a problem when I did it with the unit in cool mode...oppsss!

Goof off saved my arse! Wasted 2 hours soaking the overspray off the condenser coils ...dammit! Lol

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    LZ,

Vinyl wrap is porbably the most frustrating thing I've ever worked with in my life, it's not as easy as it looks, I wrapped a motorcycle tank in it and it took me around 8 hours, had to redo it 3 or 4 times, heat gun, scraper, the works, could not get it to look good. Perhaps with an AHU it's easier because it's mainly square corners, but you'd be covering up screws left right and center or cutting them out once it's wrapped.

Did some fairings as well, it's the dimples, soft radius corners and sharp corners that make it difficult.

It could be done, but painting may be better, though I will say, sounds like vinyl wrap would be easier than going through all that, you'd just have to clean the unit really well before wrapping.
    The bad part with wrap..it’s not designed to be in the hot sun...it will blister then crack

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in