+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This one is on me - My AC / My Install / My Problem

Post Likes

This one is on me - My AC / My Install / My Problem

Name:  S 1st Coil.JPG
Views: 2677
Size:  1,015.8 KB

So this AC is on one of my rent properties. I installed this coil about 15 years ago. I can't blame any one else. This one is 100% on me. The past year or two it has developed a leak - R22 leak. When I would get a call that it was not cooling, it was always peak summer heat or late at night. I just gassed it up and said "next time I will replace that coil but it's too hot or too late right now". When I would gas it up I noticed the SH and SC were not where I expected but I chalked it up to the coil getting dirty. I started wondering if the 'fix a flat' I tried was causing trouble. ( I have never used that stuff on a customer's AC but since this one is mine I tried it. It did not help but I don't find that it cause problems either.)

Well I finally got a break so I went to fix or replace the coil before it quit cooling again. I hoped to find and fix the leak. Or worst case to put a new coil back in the old case so I didn't have to cut the old case out and put a new case in the ducting. I got a break but I still have more calls to run today.

As soon as I got the cover off - this is what I see. Yes that is my nut driver thru what is supposed to be the sheet metal end of the A. All four lower corners were rusted away. There was a lot of air bypassing the coil. No wonder my SH and SC were off. The tube sheets are rusted away to nothing. So even though I found the leak and could have brazed it closed, I got to cut the old case out and fit the new one in. It took a lot more time that I had hoped. But the new coil is aluminum and will probably last longer than the condenser will.

I replaced four AC's on this building that same year. Makes me think the other three will be similar.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    Wow. Is your rental property a chlorine plant? That’s one sad looking coil for being 15 years old.

Post Likes
    15 yr is pretty good if ya ask me. Don’t see how it’s your fault tho. Hind sight and all. But other than looking at it years earlier what more could you have done. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Blame the Helper!

6. Likes SuperTech2010 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I could have paid more attention to what the symptoms were telling me. I saw what I thought was a dirty coil (SH & SC wrong). And I could have jumped on fixing the refrigerant leak when it first showed up.

I could blame my helper - but that is me!
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    I could have paid more attention to what the symptoms were telling me. I saw what I thought was a dirty coil (SH & SC wrong). And I could have jumped on fixing the refrigerant leak when it first showed up.

I could blame my helper - but that is me!
    We are all guilty of this at some point, especially when it’s late at night, long hours and very busy. And our own equipment. Don’t be so hard on your helper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It seems to be that stuff in ones professional field is either perfect because people are anal about it being that way in their field or hanging on by a limb since after working on things all day the last thing they want to do is more of it for on their own time. Ever see a mechanics own car? Often hanging on by a thread or the IT professional still trying to keep is dinosaur computer running? Or the HVAC guy...

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    There's more to this story. Why is everything so wet? Why isn't all that water draining off the coil and into the pan? And then of course draining away quickly?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by cxagent View Post
    Name:  S 1st Coil.JPG
Views: 2677
Size:  1,015.8 KB

So this AC is on one of my rent properties. I installed this coil about 15 years ago. I can't blame any one else. This one is 100% on me. The past year or two it has developed a leak - R22 leak. When I would get a call that it was not cooling, it was always peak summer heat or late at night. I just gassed it up and said "next time I will replace that coil but it's too hot or too late right now". When I would gas it up I noticed the SH and SC were not where I expected but I chalked it up to the coil getting dirty. I started wondering if the 'fix a flat' I tried was causing trouble. ( I have never used that stuff on a customer's AC but since this one is mine I tried it. It did not help but I don't find that it cause problems either.)

Well I finally got a break so I went to fix or replace the coil before it quit cooling again. I hoped to find and fix the leak. Or worst case to put a new coil back in the old case so I didn't have to cut the old case out and put a new case in the ducting. I got a break but I still have more calls to run today.

As soon as I got the cover off - this is what I see. Yes that is my nut driver thru what is supposed to be the sheet metal end of the A. All four lower corners were rusted away. There was a lot of air bypassing the coil. No wonder my SH and SC were off. The tube sheets are rusted away to nothing. So even though I found the leak and could have brazed it closed, I got to cut the old case out and fit the new one in. It took a lot more time that I had hoped. But the new coil is aluminum and will probably last longer than the condenser will.

I replaced four AC's on this building that same year. Makes me think the other three will be similar.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Looks like low airflow.

Post Likes
    Tilt the new a little, to help drainage...
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    Those cracks big enough to put a nut driver in would change your numbers IF you where to test the system with the cracks and then block them and recheck gauges.

I dont know if thats enough to tell if there is a problem with the system if you didn't know it was like that.

Aside from maybe having 0* superheat and bad delta t....

So I must ask, what where your SC and SH numbers that indicated this issue?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "This Story Is True, Only The Facts Were Changed"

"It's Not Black vs White, Left vs Right, Mask vs No Mask! Its Us vs Them! Stop Letting Them Divide Us And Take Our Control!"

"Is This Your Opinion Or Experience?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in