Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capillary tube to vapor line how did they do it

Working on a 1949 coke machine. I need to replace cap tube but want to keep it looking original as possible. The cap tube runs along the bottom of vapor line. How do they secure the tube? Do they use glue, solder just never seen this in school. Do not know how. To do this. I am also replacing the vapor line also so everything in new. New cap and new line cause I don't know how to get old cap tube of line. Any instruction on how they do this would be greatly appreciated. I usually do hvac and new to working on vending machines.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc17ret View Post
    Working on a 1949 coke machine. I need to replace cap tube but want to keep it looking original as possible. The cap tube runs along the bottom of vapor line. How do they secure the tube? Do they use glue, solder just never seen this in school. Do not know how. To do this. I am also replacing the vapor line also so everything in new. New cap and new line cause I don't know how to get old cap tube of line. Any instruction on how they do this would be greatly appreciated. I usually do hvac and new to working on vending machines.
    Just like old commercial freezers the cap tube is usually soldered to the lp line.
    (Although on freezers it's just the high pressure line)
    Cap tubes are supposed to be basically attached to the suction line inside the armaflex. It helps with the tubes ability to properly regulate pressure

3. Likes dc17ret liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it was originally soldered. I've never soldered one back on before, but I'm sure it can't be that difficult, just very time consuming I'd imagine.

I have held them on with aluminum tape under the armaflex before. I've also just kind of spiraled it around the pipe and then covered it up with the insulation, or if all I had was foam tape I've held it on with the that as I was wrapping it around.

I've also heard of guys running the cap tube inside of the suction line before for the ultimate in heat exchanging. To do that you would have to drill a hole near the beginning and end of the suction pipe and then fish the cap tube through it and braze around the holes when done. Of course that wouldn't be very stock-like though.

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

5. Likes stumpdigger, dc17ret liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you replacing both lines?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All cap tubes I've seen soldered to suction lines were done with what looks like soft solder. Everything has to be real shiny clean, properly fluxed, then you hold the cap tube to the suction line with those old wooden clothes pins.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was restoring something like this, that's what I'd probably do. I've never tried mixing the solders of today with the old 50/50 lead solder.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Why are you replacing both lines?

9. Likes dc17ret liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why am I replacing both lines? The owner took the motor and compressor out to change the v-belt. He crushed the cap tube and some how made a hole in it. To me it looks as though he rubbed it across the metal bar making the hole. Anyway at the owners request he wanted a new copper line installed instead of me patching the hole. Also wanted the cap tube to look like the original . I just never knew they were soldered or glued on some how. NEVER did a repair like this.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info thank you for sharing this knowledge. I think I will practice this with some scraps first.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silver tape is to the suction line.

What motor and Belt?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are times when having no backstop to lean on you just have to go with your gut. One principle I work by is if the factory would do it a certain way then I probably should too. People who make WAY more money than I figure this stuff out so who am I to doubt it? I look at what they've done try to understand it then work to duplicate it whenever possible.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old wooden clothes pins are probably plastic now.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I had a bunch in the garage. Was going to snap a shot, but couldn't find them. Pretty sure they are out there somewhere. Oh well. I'll probably find them the day after I need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The old wooden clothes pins are probably plastic now.