Thread: “It worked fine”

Post Likes

Cool “It worked fine”

Doing an 3 story apartment/store front remodeling. Apt’s on the 2ed and 3rd floors getting all new units, stores on ground level, existing store’s spit system outside units getting moved to the roof top where the new apt units are being place. Our scope of work from the GC “was” to only disconnect the stores existing units and move them to the roof, run new lines and control wire recharge as needed for the longer run. Sounds simple right? Well 4 out of the 8 units are 15 years(+) old, running 22. So far we had to replace at the GCs’ expensive, 3 units and retro fit them for 410. Every time we explain to the store owners that we had an issue with their unit they say “well they where working fine be for you moved them”. Of course it’s “our” fault, we touched them last. To bad one single phase unit had a compressor replaced, be for we got there, with a 3 phase compressor. The second unit had no refrigerant left in it to pump down/recover, GC said move it any way, once roof side we pressure tested to find a nice pee sized hole in the coil, like it was shot with a BB gun. Last but not least had a burnt out compressor, shorted to housing, the store own wanted to know how this could happen. We explained several scenarios and said we would look over his system entirely including the indoor unit (not in the scope of work) if you wanted for proof that we did not damage his unit, as he was frustrated that the ac witch serviced a section of the kitchen in his pizza shop was broken. We found this. Name:  76AB59EA-DD3C-44FD-BADA-4D240D2CF99F.jpeg
Views: 1164
Size:  2.70 MB

AHU, no filter, no return duct, just sitting above the front area where they make the pizzas. Opening facing the work area. If that’s not a plugged evap coil I don’t know what is.

But remember, “it worked fine be for we touched it.”

Post Likes
    Cool story bro

Post Likes
    Give 2 estimates ... one with new stuff with 10 yr warranty

Other repairing old stuff they demand on keeping ... with 30 day warranty

Post Likes
    It’s the GC’s call on how they want to handle that mess. When I showed the Forman the picture he just shook his head and laughed saying “But it was working fine”.

Post Likes
    Only time I moved units was a new roof put on a condo. We cycled every unit and took an evap TD before moving the equipment, except for the people who agreed to new condensing units ahead of time.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

6. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zackc206 View Post
    It’s the GC’s call on how they want to handle that mess. When I showed the Forman the picture he just shook his head and laughed saying “But it was working fine”.
    Cover your ass!
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Cover your ass!
    My ass is covered, shop owners are mad, but it’s the property owners equipments and they could care less from what I’m witnessing. Recent land purchase, so far we have replaced the out side units and retro fitted the AHU to take 410 for any one that is “not worth fixing” General contractor’s words.

I can’t wait to see what the property owners decide to do about this last one. Rumor is they plan on buying out the leases and gutting the first floor like they did with the 2ed and 3ed. Why they didn’t do it all at once is beyond me. But I’m just the tech so, I’ll do what they want done the best I can, so long as it safe and legal. I’m going to guess I’ll be spending some hours cleaning that coil and then replace the outside unit and fit a filter to the intake some how.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Only time I moved units was a new roof put on a condo. We cycled every unit and took an evap TD before moving the equipment, except for the people who agreed to new condensing units ahead of time.
    Key here is the BEFORE moving. We do this as well. Showing all the leaks and dead comps. Some are not worth even moving as they should be replaced. It’s like heart surgery, some units may not survive the move, or the weak compressor can’t live long with that long line set. I always warn people about moving a unit, even if everything done perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Whenever we do any work on existing systems... other than service (wash, contactor, cap, freezy-juice)...
    We explain with the quote we will check operation before we proceed with the repairs quoted.
    There is a clause in our Proposal/contract... that specifies this... and explains if issues are found... resolutions will be discussed and an AWA (extra work) will be needed.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Give 2 estimates ... one with new stuff with 10 yr warranty

Other repairing old stuff they demand on keeping ... with 30 day warranty
    I would make the warranty policy on the latter option last until the truck leaves the driveway. Better yet the agreement would explicitly state that the units will be moved and any kind of extra repair or maintenance needed will not be included.