Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Novent Refrigerant locking cap

Company A installed a new Trane A/C Compressor/Condenser unit for us in the summer of 2018. Two years later (now) we just wanted a full HVAC system checkout. We had reason to hire Company B to come out and do this checkout. When they got to the outdoor unit, the HVAC tech easily removed the high pressure side Novent cap although he did note he needed to use his R-22 tool rather than his R-410 tool even though the system IS R-410. When he tried to remove the low pressure side Novent cap, he also needed to use his R-22 tool in the cap but try though he did, and he later showed me the difficulty, the cap would NOT unscrew. The tool DID appear to make contact with whatever it catches on inside the cap and it would turn counterclockwise with some pressure/difficulty but the cap simply would not unscrew.

The fear is that an inappropriate sized Novent cap might have been previously installed and that it might be (oh my) cross threaded.

Would/should an R-22 Novent cap be able to be threaded onto the male thread of an R-410 system?? I asked the technician to let me see how the good one worked and it threaded on easily when using the tool and it too (I'm confirming this soon with a phone call) was an R-22 cap being easily threaded onto an R-410 male thread)

Any ideas or thoughts on how to remove what appears to be a flawed Novent cap so we can reinstall a new, correct cap???

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something is seriously wrong. The threads are the same. Color of the caps differ only to assist in identifying the refrigerant in the system.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Something is seriously wrong. The threads are the same. Color of the caps differ only to assist in identifying the refrigerant in the system.

Can you say more about the color??? Both of the ones on my system (R-410) are silver. I went across the street to a neighbot's and looked at his. Also R-410, also both of his caps are silver.

Does Silver imply something??? Are R-410's silver and R-22's some other color???

The tech that worked on my system said he needed to use the R-22 key to remove the one he could remove and he also used the same key on the one that would accept the key, woult turn but would NOT come off???

Say more if you will about what color means on these Novent caps. thanks..

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what about the thread size on the Maile component on which these caps get applied, both on the hi and low pressure side. Are those sizes the same for R-22 and R-410??? Is that what you meant above by "the threads are the same"???? thanks...

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same 1/4” flair fitting that’s been in use for a long long time.

Sounds like the tech’s confused

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now I just watched a YouTube video that shows that RED are for R-410, Green are for R-22 and Silver (what both I and my neighbor have) are UNIVERSAL. The technician had one of these dual ended tools, one end labeled as R-410 and the other end labeled as R-22. He claimed on his R-410 tool would go in either one of my SILVER Novent caps. One of them came off easily. The other will not. The fear is the Novent cap perhaps got cross threaded. Bad... I do see online a screwdriver like tool that might offer more torque than his small hand held tool. More torque might help remove this cap or it might destroy the threads... What a mess... Two year old unit that replaced the original that was only 4 years old when a cracked tube showed up in the condenser. Was cheaper to replace than repair. We replaced. And now two years later, we can't access the low pressure freon line...

So might it make sense that only the R-22 end of one of these small tools is the only tool that will access these SILVER UNIVERSAL caps???

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn’t this all the problem for the tech?

8. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are different keys for different caps. Fujitsu has 5/16 service ports. All other brands I have encountered have 1/4” ports. Threads are the same.
    You should leave it up to the technician to deal with it.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

10. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you should let the tech deal with it or find a new tech. A good tech should be able to handle that problem.

We use the novent caps and yes silver is universal 1/4 is 1/4, color doesn't matter. I personally don't like the caps they can be a real pita.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Sounds like you should let the tech deal with it or find a new tech. A good tech should be able to handle that problem.

We use the novent caps and yes silver is universal 1/4 is 1/4, color doesn't matter. I personally don't like the caps they can be a real pita.

They are super fun in the middle of summer, unit low on charge, dirty filter and ices an 1” thick back to the compressor.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    They are super fun in the middle of summer, unit low on charge, dirty filter and ices an 1” thick back to the compressor.
    and that's exactly when you cut the system off and tell the ho you'll be back when it thaws

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."