Thread: R-22 replacement for WIC with AB oil in compressor??

Post Likes

R-22 replacement for WIC with AB oil in compressor??

Have a butcher shop with "bone room/gut room" 7 year old evap coil having multiple leaks....again. 40 degree box.

6600 btu evap coil with Copeland RST55 C1 CAV compressor containing 15 oz of AB oil.

Could I just switch to 404A with 502 type TXV in new coil and keep the AB oil in compressor??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RLJN View Post
    Have a butcher shop with "bone room/gut room" 7 year old evap coil having multiple leaks....again. 40 degree box.

6600 btu evap coil with Copeland RST55 C1 CAV compressor containing 15 oz of AB oil.

Could I just switch to 404A with 502 type TXV in new coil and keep the AB oil in compressor??
    Well we've been using a whole lot of m099 as a drop in for 22 systems.
    It's been working quite well as long as the system isn't undersized.
    Keep the same tx change the filter dryer. Low side pressures will typically be a few psi lower. You lose about 5% cooling btus.
    But if the system was working well for you before it should be fine.
    I haven't used 404 as a drop in replacement for anything.
    So I really can't tell you if it will agree with that oil.

Post Likes
    Use R22. In our area, it’s the same price as MO99.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Fix the leaks!
    Its not hard to dump the oil and refill with POE. Change the valve and 404A.

I would install a suction Filter for a day or 2. POE cleans the inside of the tubing.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the input.
    This is a dying business in most small towns here.
    The owner/workhorse is 74 and wants to lock the door and go home.
    Plenty of business is available for private livestock kill/processing.
    He is booked solid to March of 2021 and has bookings in Dec of 2021.

This kind of business is a lot of hard work....not many younger people would do this.
    The same with small restaurant and cafes. Many older people are burned out.

The most economical route is a new coil w/TXV which will take care of the leaks, and recharge with R-22.

The original coil lasted over 30 years with minimal leaks, the present leaker lasted 7 years.
    Something changed, I suspect coil tube thickness.

Talking to another Refrigeration guy he has the same problem with "gut" rooms.
    He has spray painted the coil end returns and believes that may extend the life.
    Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again for all input!

Post Likes
    Get a Heresite coated coil or buy the Heresite and coat the coil yourself before installing.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Its not so much the cutting of the meat as much as the cleaning and sanitizing chemicals

Post Likes
    Gut rooms only get the refuse of the critter. 55 gallon barrels of intestines, stomachs, all which are full of everything that goes in the front of the cow and comes out the back.
    Heads, kidneys, livers, hearts, hides etc......just not a room you want to spend any time in.
    There might be 6-7 barrels full when the "hamburger helper" rendering truck shows up on Fridays. Goes off to the rendering plant for recycling....pet food....glue?.....leather.
    Another place to avoid.

After barrels are emptied the room and barrels are power washed making it a little more tolerable.
    The cooler continues to run over the weekend to be refilled the next Monday morning.

Pecmsg, that is a good point however, I will inquire about any chemicals or sanitizers used, if so they should rinse with water leave the door open before starting the comp again.

I'm thinking no sanitizers as it smells just about as bad after cleaning. They want to keep the cooler on 24/7 and door closed because of flies.
    BTW, you never have to lock the door on these boxes.....an unknowing person would open it and immediately close it.

Post Likes
    Moved to Refrigeration and Ice Making forum.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Use M099 as a drop in . Id change the power head on the txv, filter drier , contractor, solenoids and pressure switches . You dont need to flush but your btus cant be under much at all.

Once evap coils start sprinting leaks its just time to replace the coil

Post Likes
    Leaks in the straight part of the tubes or u-bends? A couple of vendors had poor quality u-bends (probably from Corona City) that kept developing leaks.
    If you decide to use a coated coil, they will hold up better if you get it pre-applied where it goes thru a multi step dip (electro static) and bake process.