+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1960's Worthington Chiller compressor

Post Likes

1960's Worthington Chiller compressor

Hi All,

I have a failed Worthington compressor from the 1960s. The model number is 2VC6-324S. Looks like the refrigerant is 22.

Can anyone repair or preferably replace this unit? Sooner would be better than later.

Thanks!
    Shep Salusky
    Last edited by Dad; 06-17-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Post Likes
    I had an old Worthington centrifugal from the mid 70's and it was R-12. It's beyond it lifespan. I would replace it. Use the refer towards a new one. If you do decide to try to resurrect it, McQuay is who you have to contact for parts.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Hi Benny,

Thanks for the tip. I don't mind replacing it. I've been told it may be difficult to find an adequate replacement part. Thoughts on this? I need to get the thing up and running quickly, so replacing the entire HVAC is not a short-term option.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    No objection there. Glad you folks monitor the posts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalusky View Post
    No objection there. Glad you folks monitor the posts.
    Yes, we have a great crew and have been #1 for 20 years now.

Enjoy

7. Likes stanbyyourword, CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You have got to replace with new really, the fact that this may not be a convenient time is something that should have been considered and planned for years ago. When you look at the refrigerant used and chiller efficiency nowadays as compared to old chiller it is a no brainer

9. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There’s a wonderful saying I like to use:

“A lack of planning on your part, doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part!”

Where are you located?

11. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN, rquave33 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Have to agree with that, well put

Post Likes
    Park and connect a rental. Then evaluate your options .
    Last edited by CHILLERSVCMAN; 06-18-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: wording

Post Likes
    Thanks all for your input (and the scolding). Found the replacement part and will have it up and running Monday or Tuesday. The internet makes it so much easier to solve these kinds of esoteric problems.

Until next time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalusky View Post
    Thanks all for your input (and the scolding). Found the replacement part and will have it up and running Monday or Tuesday. The internet makes it so much easier to solve these kinds of esoteric problems.

Until next time.
    There is a Member here Reamworld i believe that can rebuild that unit or at least advise.

Do a Search.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the suggestion. I purchased a new compressor that replaces the existing. My tech tells me the part should do the trick.

Post Likes
    So what's the plan for the future?

we have a site in a similar situation. we've only just began taking care of them. One of the first things we recommended (and are doing), is to install taps on the chilled water piping and prep a starter cabinet for installation of a rental chiller. Once this is done, we can have a rental in place within 24 hours....without this planning and prep work, they're down for several days minimum.

Not sure what position you're in, but do yourself a favor and make plans for the inevitable. If you're a maintenance director, it's better to be looking across the table saying: "I told you so.", rather than attempting to explain why you never thought "this" might happen, when the building doesn't have cooling for several weeks.

Post Likes
    wise words
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Post Likes
    Appreciate the advice. It's a small and odd building with some HVAC strengths and weaknesses. It's on a lake, so there are complex shoreline permitting requirements and a city that doesn't easily permit anything. So system replacement, which has been in the works for about 6 months, moves very slowly. Offices open to outside air, so temporary solutions are fairly easy (fans, portable ACs, etc.) A temporary chiller is not practical - cost and very limited space in the HVAC room.

Post Likes
    Are you sure what the refrigerant is and a picture of the plant would be nice just to give people an idea is size , capacity etc, plus although it is sensible to have planned replacement years ago due to refrigerant type, age etc it is still nice to see some old school engineering, although new machines are far more efficient they probably won't last as long as the old stuff

Post Likes
    Refrigerant was R22 until you couldn't get it (or my vendor wouldn't let me buy it on Ebay). Then they moved to hot shot with something in between. I've only had the building for 5 years, so I don't know the whole history of the system. The current Worthington compressor is a rebuilt that looks to be very old. The interesting thing about our antique HVAC is that is runs like a top when it's serviced by old school techs. The younger fellas end up breaking stuff because they think they know what they're doing but they don't. The main reason we're looking to replace is we find it harder and harder to find someone who has any idea what to do with this thing.

Post Likes
    its from the 60s man
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Post Likes
    I have parked many rental chillers . They set outside and pipped into the building ; either fire hose or Victaulic PVC . Power is obtained either from disabled chiller starter or have a generator brought out with the chiller

24. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in