Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Maintenance man saved me

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Likes

    Maintenance man saved me

    Water source heat pump building with tower. One unit not working. So i skip the mech room and just head to the apartment. Unit is screaming for help, head pressure of 400 PSI suction was screaming too but cant recall. Man, I either have a horrible overcharge, or low waterflow. Easiest to take a little juice out. Go down to the truck to get the recovery tank and back through the lobby the maintenance man comes in the back door. "the tower is aweful quite today they must have come and worked on it". um what do you mean its quite. Crap, do i not have a tower. Go out back, someone (assuming a kid) turned my fan vfd off. loop temp was over 110*.

    Turned it back on and got the loop down to 80. went back up and guys HP was just humming along.

    My dumb butt was gonna take the gas out.

    Some days I just get in a hurry, and almost always those days bite me in my butt.

    BTW, for whatever reason, they have someone else do the tower, boilers, and two pumps. Lets just say their pumps and towers leak water at a significant rate. I always offer to take them over and always get the same, "well let you know". But yet im the only person that does the WSHP.

  2. Likes ksefan liked this post.
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    163
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Water source heat pump building with tower. One unit not working. So i skip the mech room and just head to the apartment. Unit is screaming for help, head pressure of 400 PSI suction was screaming too but cant recall. Man, I either have a horrible overcharge, or low waterflow. Easiest to take a little juice out. Go down to the truck to get the recovery tank and back through the lobby the maintenance man comes in the back door. "the tower is aweful quite today they must have come and worked on it". um what do you mean its quite. Crap, do i not have a tower. Go out back, someone (assuming a kid) turned my fan vfd off. loop temp was over 110*.

    Turned it back on and got the loop down to 80. went back up and guys HP was just humming along.

    My dumb butt was gonna take the gas out.

    Some days I just get in a hurry, and almost always those days bite me in my butt.

    BTW, for whatever reason, they have someone else do the tower, boilers, and two pumps. Lets just say their pumps and towers leak water at a significant rate. I always offer to take them over and always get the same, "well let you know". But yet im the only person that does the WSHP.

    Happens to the best of us. Pressure+heat=mistakes
    Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

  4. Likes ksefan liked this post.
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Likes
    If you put your hands on the supply and return water lines you would have discovered the issue before your gauges ever made it on there. Easy for me to say, hind sight is damn near perfect, but especially on small systems like that I always avoid putting gauges on until all the basics have been looked over first... if you felt hot tub temperature water going to your condenser then you would have known there was a loop problem.

    Some days are like that, even for the best of them.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

  6. Likes stumpdigger, mixsit liked this post.
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    If you put your hands on the supply and return water lines you would have discovered the issue before your gauges ever made it on there. Easy for me to say, hind sight is damn near perfect, but especially on small systems like that I always avoid putting gauges on until all the basics have been looked over first... if you felt hot tub temperature water going to your condenser then you would have known there was a loop problem.

    Some days are like that, even for the best of them.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its funny you say that cause I carry a pipe clamp thermometer in my bag, and I even thought, I should see what water in and water out are doing. But no I went straight to the over charged unit.

    Looking back on my day, I know better, were not even near design temps today. Was hotter last week. If issue was over charge I would have been there before today.

    I just got something stuck in my head an ran with it.

    That pride pill would have been tough to swallow had he not said something.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN, davejohnsonnola liked this post.
  9. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    8,080
    Post Likes
    It's funny how you get focused on one thing sometimes, and can't get passed it!

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Its funny you say that cause I carry a pipe clamp thermometer in my bag, and I even thought, I should see what water in and water out are doing. But no I went straight to the over charged unit.

    Looking back on my day, I know better, were not even near design temps today. Was hotter last week. If issue was over charge I would have been there before today.

    I just got something stuck in my head an ran with it.

    That pride pill would have been tough to swallow had he not said something.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Im first troubleshooting a unit Im like a grownup in a candy store (some kids never change), my hands are on everything. Every time I touch something Im adding that info to my candy bag of knowledge as I assemble a puzzle in my head. Sometimes the lid is only open for a moment before it gets closed again so you better collect as much as you can when you have the chance. You dont always need to know the exact temperatures, you just need to know if they are close enough to work, and sometimes you need to get all that info before your wife closes the lid on that candy bin making the info completely disappear out of sight. Now you need to wait until the wife cools down again so you can open the lid back up without her going off on her high pressure limit. It can be a long and slow process so you better be quick when you get the chance. Once you find the thing that is out in one extreme or another then youve probably found the problem, or another piece of the puzzle if not the original cause. Failing that then you can get all specific with the numbers and analyze the problem better, but that takes time so there is that trade off. As I tell my wife, being fast is a good thing!

    Troubleshooting and repair are really two separate tasks, usually you can begin troubleshooting as soon as you first talk to the customer. I like to talk to the customer and ask them questions about when the issue was first noticed to have failed, what it sounded like if it maid a weird noise, when the last time they had it serviced or repaired, if its a repeat issue, if there were any power outages or generator tests recently, etc... sometimes you can complete your first task before you even look at the unit... oddly enough I thought my wife would be more impressed with that than she actually is. Turns out not... I guess not everybody has the same satisfaction when getting a job done.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    When Im first troubleshooting a unit Im like a grownup in a candy store (some kids never change), my hands are on everything. Every time I touch something Im adding that info to my candy bag of knowledge as I assemble a puzzle in my head. Sometimes the lid is only open for a moment before it gets closed again so you better collect as much as you can when you have the chance. You dont always need to know the exact temperatures, you just need to know if they are close enough to work, and sometimes you need to get all that info before your wife closes the lid on that candy bin making the info completely disappear out of sight. Now you need to wait until the wife cools down again so you can open the lid back up without her going off on her high pressure limit. It can be a long and slow process so you better be quick when you get the chance. Once you find the thing that is out in one extreme or another then youve probably found the problem, or another piece of the puzzle if not the original cause. Failing that then you can get all specific with the numbers and analyze the problem better, but that takes time so there is that trade off. As I tell my wife, being fast is a good thing!

    Troubleshooting and repair are really two separate tasks, usually you can begin troubleshooting as soon as you first talk to the customer. I like to talk to the customer and ask them questions about when the issue was first noticed to have failed, what it sounded like if it maid a weird noise, when the last time they had it serviced or repaired, if its a repeat issue, if there were any power outages or generator tests recently, etc... sometimes you can complete your first task before you even look at the unit... oddly enough I thought my wife would be more impressed with that than she actually is. Turns out not... I guess not everybody has the same satisfaction when getting a job done.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have always said the customer is step one of the troubleshooting process.

    I was at the same building this morning for a no cool emergency. First thing I did was check the building controller display and to see if tower was running.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •