Thread: Tunneling Condenser air....loll

Post Likes

Tunneling Condenser air....loll

I give service to landlord who owns a big shopping plaza. He will often try to jerry-rig all type of things just to get by and do the cheapest way. They called me to fix a few RTU and while I was out there I saw them installing round pipe on to the discharge of condenser fan motor for a few RTU. LOL, The opening on the condenser fan motor is bigger then their 20" round pipe. I pointed that out to him and he just said it will be fine.

I am not sure if it will be fine and more then likely I feel something will fail soon. They did the round pipe to prevent rain from entering the RTU. A lot of the RTU are leaking water and they used roof cement INSIDE the RTU around the compressor area to help seal any potential leaks. I really don't know what their doing but I hope when the time comes to change the units there no problem disconnecting from the curb adapter. LOLL
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

2. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    looks like he will recirculate that air, I have seen this attempted before but it needs to be taken out and above the wall height. looks hideous
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    Properly clean OD coils first.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

5. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Could have built a shed style roof over the units with clearance for the CFM discharge. EMT comes to mind for the bit of framing...
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Nice that he’s sending it back thru.

Post Likes
    I don't know weather to laugh or be pissed. Most of the air that's thrown off of the fan blades happens near the ends of the blades, and that part is covered up. I guess you can only do so much.

How 'bout instead of doing all of that nonsense, they try unscrewing those plugged up and kinked garden hoses from those drain connections to see if that helps? Do you think anyone ever noticed that they seem to leak worse when it's hot out and not raining? Hmmm... Hey wait a second, that's not a garden hose. That's Liquid-tite. And it goes from the drain connection to the disconnect? Am I seeing this wrong? Yeah, I must be. Nevermind. I think I will just slowly walk away now. No charge. You never saw me. I was never here!

Last edited by ammoniadog; 06-16-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    They’ll be fine.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Motors may fail. I believe condenser fan motors are rated or designed for zero static resistance.adding that small elbow is gonna create resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I don't know weather to laugh or be pissed. Most of the air that's thrown off of the fan blades happens near the ends of the blades, and that part is covered up. I guess you can only do so much.

How 'bout instead of doing all of that nonsense, they try unscrewing those plugged up and kinked garden hoses from those drain connections to see if that helps? Do you think anyone ever noticed that they seem to leak worse when it's hot out and not raining? Hmmm... Hey wait a second, that's not a garden hose. That's Liquid-tite. And it goes from the drain connection to the disconnect? Am I seeing this wrong? Yeah, I must be. Nevermind. I think I will just slowly walk away now. No charge. You never saw me. I was never here!

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, trust me that roof is filled with alot of crazy stuff. Its also a graveyard of old compressors, condenser fan motors and some completely disabled units on the roof piling up everywhere. Its a war zone of hvac land.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    I hope you get paid upfront before doing any work at that place......

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    How many fan blades will fail and destroy coils and pipping ?