+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can anyone recommend ERV unit

Post Likes

Can anyone recommend ERV unit

I am getting new AC installed. 2nd zone air handler will be in attic and I was thinking of getting ERV installed as well as a separate system. So far I was looking at Panasonic and Carrier models. Any recommendations for a good quality and reasonably priced unit?
    Plan is to draw air from 2 bathrooms on 2nd floor and dump fresh air into 3 bedrooms. Attic installation next to AC air handler. New England (Boston) climate

Ps. The idea is that we like fresh air and currently always have windows open. Thats not very efficient, allows ton of pollen inside, and during winter we have to constantly open and close them. So I figured ERV will solve that problem

Post Likes
    There are only 3 or 4 companies that make all the ERV/HRV units. The Carrier and likely the Panasonic are just rebadged units.

There is not much in the way of complicated parts in those units so just about any of them are fine.

Two of the bigger manufactures are Venmar/Vanee and Lifebreath.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. Likes Juan Madera liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    There are only 3 or 4 companies that make all the ERV/HRV units. The Carrier and likely the Panasonic are just rebadged units.

There is not much in the way of complicated parts in those units so just about any of them are fine.

Two of the bigger manufactures are Venmar/Vanee and Lifebreath.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I think Panasonic makes its own units. They are the only ones that use DC motors that can be controlled individually, as far as I understood

Post Likes
    My personal favorite is RenewAire. I've had good success with the products, and the company.

Post Likes
    Concidering getting soler & palau now. Seems to have what I need. Not sure I like that Panasonic does not filter house intake air, only from outside

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joab View Post
    My personal favorite is RenewAire. I've had good success with the products, and the company.
    Looks like soler & palau and RenewAire is the same thing

Post Likes
    So I had unit installed. Sucking air from bathrooms works great, yet I can barely feel any air coming in from vents. Unit is connected to hvac system but not interconnected with each other. Is it supposed to work this way? Meaning I shouldn't really feel any air coming from vents?
    I verified everything and it seems to work fine, no error codes, outdoor air is set to maximum speed in continuous running mode.

Post Likes
    I think hvac guys connected it wrong. Will fix and try again

Post Likes
    If your supply air from the ERV is tied directly into the return of your air handler, it's highly unlikely that the velocity at any of your vents would be high enough to feel on your skin.
    Last edited by Joab; 07-15-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Post Likes
    I tried Boost mode on max speed and used toilet paper to check the flow. I got almost nothing. They connected it on supply side and it doesnt even work with hvac running(air handler feeding air to ERV and its supposed to be other way around). And without hvac the air has to travel through huge main duct to 7 vents.
    Its supposed to be connected on return side, there are only 4 return vents to supply air, when hvac turns on, then air is delivered from 7 supply vents with help of air handler.
    Supposed to get it fixed later this week, hopefully it will work good after that

Post Likes
    "Supposed to get it fixed later this week, hopefully it will work good after that"

Please define "work good".
    "Compressors never die; they're always murdered!" - Glenn Hannegan Jr

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spide View Post
    "Supposed to get it fixed later this week, hopefully it will work good after that"

Please define "work good".
    I mean work along with air handler running (now it doesn't) and still push enough air to returns without air handler. I dont want to use it in Boost mode either, Contentious operation mode should be enough, area is only 1k sqft, 3 bedrooms

Post Likes
    I can’t stand ERVs installed on air ducts... I would have then install separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekjunkie View Post
    I can’t stand ERVs installed on air ducts... I would have then install separately.

Whats the reason?

I wanted separate system too, but when I realized that return will be in every bedroom and hallway, I just dont see the need for separate ducts anymore. I had it finally fixed and it works good. There is still very little air flow but I was told its supposed to be this way. Now its easy to access the main intake duct through the return box on air handler where the filter is located, and I can definitely feel air coming in the house.

I am not sure if its good or bad, but I would probably say that unfortunately my heating is separate from AC. I have boiler heating up baseboards and ducts are only for AC, so in winter my house air is not filtered through MERV 11 at air handler unless I run it just in fan mode occasionally. ERV has 2 MERV 8 filters + air hits that MERV 11 too when air handler is running

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan View Post
    Whats the reason?

I wanted separate system too, but when I realized that return will be in every bedroom and hallway, I just dont see the need for separate ducts anymore. I had it finally fixed and it works good. There is still very little air flow but I was told its supposed to be this way. Now its easy to access the main intake duct through the return box on air handler where the filter is located, and I can definitely feel air coming in the house.

I am not sure if its good or bad, but I would probably say that unfortunately my heating is separate from AC. I have boiler heating up baseboards and ducts are only for AC, so in winter my house air is not filtered through MERV 11 at air handler unless I run it just in fan mode occasionally. ERV has 2 MERV 8 filters + air hits that MERV 11 too when air handler is running
    Personal preference really. I’d like to keep them separate.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in