+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I too old?

Post Likes
    I've got to say, I'm 65+, it was not until this year, I'm blaming it most on Covid, I'm not as active, I've gained a few pounds, arthritis in my knees is worse ( I blame it on doing a lot more sitting and waiting). I used to be out on my feet all day no problem. Today I woke up with my knees already sore before getting out of bed. I hate this!

Post Likes
    You are not too old until you let your mind get old unless you have physical problems. Age is more than a mental attitude but your mind needs challenged every day. Your physical condition comes in second to mental.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    You are not too old until you let your mind get old unless you have physical problems. Age is more than a mental attitude but your mind needs challenged every day. Your physical condition comes in second to mental.
    Thats some good hippy mumbo-jumbo!! too bad medical science disagree , everything wears with time, there is no mental state that would heal bad joints, pains and aches, it sucks to get old and YES 60 is way too old to start a NEW physically demanding trade!! 60 is the age where experienced technicians get pay for what they know not for what they do, for me 60 is the time to sell my tools and retire, just a few years away!!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

4. Likes nutradesman liked this post.
    Dislikes lzenglish disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Reread my post. I included physical condition. I'm 79 and do whatever I want. My point is no matter how good you are physically if your mind goes your physical condition doesn't matter.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I went back to service work this summer after a 5 year retirement. I'm 71+ but in decent shape. One thing I have in my favor is if diagnosis is bad compressor or remove evaporator etc. , I move on to next call & the kids get the heavy lifting .

Post Likes
    That's using your head oldguy1949.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    With a good attitude, willingness to learn, analytical processes you can excel. A lot of the young guys (and some old guys) come with attitude, entitlement, formal training but no real practical or background basics. They are frequently texting or on the phone and rely on smart gauges instead of full log analysis. Parts changers ..... very few know how to work efficiently.

Best opportunity to learn with out overextending yourself technically or physically is do what pecmsg said find a job at a hospital, university , or stationary maintenance site.

I'm 66 and maybe 1 in 10 younger guys can work the same pace or are willing to keep up. Not as good as I once was, but...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    I went back to service work this summer after a 5 year retirement. I'm 71+ but in decent shape. One thing I have in my favor is if diagnosis is bad compressor or remove evaporator etc. , I move on to next call & the kids get the heavy lifting .
    I'm with you on that one. The only exception is that I like to be on those jobs. Lending a hand and showing the younger techs how to do it right. But there is no way I am going to hurt myself by lifting something too heavy!
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I'm with you on that one. The only exception is that I like to be on those jobs. Lending a hand and showing the younger techs how to do it right. But there is no way I am going to hurt myself by lifting something too heavy!
    That's what I would like todo but it isn't thier way of doing things, so I am just there to fill my internal need to fix stuff and & THE MONEY. I just shake my head sometimes & remind myself job ends this month. I only go in if lots of calls but still manage to snatch enough hours to be worth my time & they even let me as PT keep a truck

Post Likes
    Unless you're a gluttin for punishment, let it go. The only way you will get the work you want is to start your own business. You're never too old for that. Good luck.

Post Likes
    I'm 33 and in really good shape and there are days all I can do is sit on the couch after work. And like someone said before, there is a reason the smart ones retire before 60.

14. Likes skyhook liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm 66 and still hop into attics and dive in the crawl space when required. I do what it takes to get to the unit and get the job done.
    I gave up smoking and drinking 20 years ago when I reunited with my high school sweetheart. Still together.
    People age differently. Some can work until 70 or more, others can't get past 55.
    I met 2 brothers several years ago. Both were in their 90s. They were repiping a 3" ABS waste line under a house.
    They told me the reason for their longevity was cranberry juice.

Post Likes
    Instead of being a installer, get into service work.

Quote Originally Posted by nutradesman View Post
    I'm 33 and in really good shape and there are days all I can do is sit on the couch after work. And like someone said before, there is a reason the smart ones retire before 60.

17. Likes WAYNE3298 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Service is completely different than install work. Takes a whole other mind set. I'm in my sixties and can easily run circles around the younger dudes. For example, check this out.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...irst-Time-PM-s

So there had to be whoever quoted the PM. Then at least three other after. Yet no one noticed there was no air flow! ?

19. Likes WAYNE3298 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Even jobs that don't require heavy lifting can help keep you physically fit. I've seen a lot of old farts retire and sit on their can. You can see them going down hill. I do TAB once in a while and enjoy everything but the paper work.
    I'm watching you young guys in your 50's and 60's because it's good to see people who know their S*** and enjoy working.
    I also enjoy shooting the bull with guys here on the phone.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Even jobs that don't require heavy lifting can help keep you physically fit. I've seen a lot of old farts retire and sit on their can. You can see them going down hill. I do TAB once in a while and enjoy everything but the paper work.
    I'm watching you young guys in your 50's and 60's because it's good to see people who know their S*** and enjoy working.
    Wayne come to Ohio for a week and point me around. I’ll do all the work but I want to dive into your brain for a week. It will keep you young!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    JBH your offer is tempting. I did TAB on a cooling tower in Toledo a few years back. What kind of pointing around are you looking for or are you joking?
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Jeez, tell me about it. All the paper work is a freakin' pain.

Post Likes
    True BBeerme. I did nothing but paper work for 25 years and got my mind set to actually enjoy most of it. After I started doing TAB I didn't bid very many commissioning jobs because in my opinion there was too much paper work.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I'm the same age. The thing that really just beats the crap out of me is being out in the heat all day. I've worked all sorts of long wierd hours in the cramped bowels of hospitals. But being out in the heat just drains me faster than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by nutradesman View Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in