Thread: Lieberts float

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lieberts float

I ran into a lockout on an older system that may be getting replaced. Stat showed high water, so, I tested the pump and found the drain and evaporator dry. Reset unit and is running fine for now. Heat gain has increased since early install and equipment is critical. The original float seems sturdy and is wire nutted into the board. It is n/o which I didnít expect. Iím guessing an intermittent board issue but donít want to gamble on that. Canít find the n/o part so I considered getting a cheap n/c float switch and wiring it into one leg of the transformer, just to rule it out and save a trip if that is it, even though I donít think it failed closed, any thoughts?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which humidifier is it? the long pan open pan across the front, or the enclosed "drum" type?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no humidifier, just a/c

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why canít you pull the pins for the float off the board and test the continuity to see if it is working or not?

Have you tried flooding the pan to make sure itís draining properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the check valve in the pump working?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I verified continuity with the float. It was working and I dont think it got stuck closed, but ive seen some weird stuff. I filled the pump basin and it moves water as designed

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, is this a swamp cooler? never seen a liebert like that...

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    oh, is this a swamp cooler? never seen a liebert like that...
    Humm... Pump basin, not `sumpí basin, Iím pretty sure they are talking about the condensate pump

I was wondering if the p-trap under the pan is plugged up. Have you tried filling that evap pan to see if it will drain?

What kind of weird behaviour have you observed? Are you inducing voltage in the wire causing nuisance alarms? Although unlikely it may be worth a quick check next time you are near it.

Is this a DS system? How old is it?

If you post a model number we may be able to help you out a little better.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thoughts, thanks. Since there was like now water anywhere, I focused more on the electrical but I will need to go back and verify that internal trap is clear. Also possible that the pump is moving water but if check valve has failed, some is coming back. Environment is very dry, so possible intermittent water side issue. As usual, access was dreadful and I was getting pressured to move on to the next thing once it was up and running again. Thanks for the feedback. Ill post if I isolate the issue. Unit is MMD12E-P0000

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdanow00 View Post
    Great thoughts, thanks. Since there was like now water anywhere, I focused more on the electrical but I will need to go back and verify that internal trap is clear. Also possible that the pump is moving water but if check valve has failed, some is coming back. Environment is very dry, so possible intermittent water side issue. As usual, access was dreadful and I was getting pressured to move on to the next thing once it was up and running again. Thanks for the feedback. Ill post if I isolate the issue. Unit is MMD12E-P0000
    You could check to see if you are getting any voltage showing up between terminal TB1-4 and TB1-2, although I think if you havenít tried checking for a blockage in the P-trap then you should spend your time doing that first. Induced voltage on an internal wire would be highly unlikely but could be the result of a field modification... maybe. Typically induced voltage issues are only seen with high pressure alarms due to the field installed interconnecting cable between the condenser and evaporator being run poorly.

Let us know what you find.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that it will help but this reminds me of the time I had a minimate with a bad pump.
    I found an exact replacement pump local in a parts house so I went that route rather then extend the down time while waiting for the part to come from Liebert.

Unfortunately the unit eventually tripped on the hi pan float.
    Turned out the the brass rod that has the groves for the C-clips that trip the float switch(s) had slightly different groove location(s).

Moral of the story, unless your absolutely sure non OEM will work, stick with OEM.
    Eric

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you make sure the drain line was clear? They use that rubber p-trap line under the pan. I have seen that line clogged so many times. Might just be draining slow and that is why you have no water in the pan as the unit shuts down. Did you pour water in the pan and watch it drain? A coworker of mine had seen one that was low in charge, the coil will freeze up on the bottom and the ice will block the drain hole. This was a minimate as well. Never seen that happen myself but just thought I will throw that out.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plaster Dust in the Condensate Pan. Pan goes dry, Float gets stuck to bottom of Pan. Water Rises in Pan. Float does a Sudden Release, pops up, locks unit out. I used to keep a cheap bottle brush on the truck to clean the Pan, and bottom of coil. BTW I Had a Service Call on a brand new miniMate, no record of a Factory Start-up. Get there, itís on the loading dock. GC is telling me it doesnít work, get that piece of crap out of here. I told him donít go anywhere. Get the Polaroid and Nut-driver out. Yep, the Rubber band was still on the Float.
    Retired, after 43 Years