Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrier Schrader Valve

I have a Carrier 38TUA air conditioning unit that was installed in 1997. The first time I went to use it this year it didn't seem to cool as it has in the last few years. I had an HVAC contractor come out and take a look at it. He hooked up his gauges and told me there was absolutely no refrigerant in it. His gauges read 0. When he removed the gauges he noticed that there were no Schrader valves. I can't recall anyone else working on this unit. So where did they go?

He said that Carrier Schrader valves for AC units this old are unique to Carrier and are basically non-existent and said I would need to replace the entire unit.

Is this true? How could a company like Carrier not have these available for repairs? This just doesn't make sense to me. It can't be possible that I would need to spend thousands of dollars because I can't get a $3.00 part.

Comments and suggestions, please.

Dave

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a king valve that's frontseated to check pressure. Did the guy turn the stem in? Or did he just put his gauges on it and said "you got no refrigerant and no valve cores"? Either way you need to call someone else.

3. Likes DOGBOY, pacnw liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't have schraders because the service valves have front seats AND back seats. They are true refrigeration service valves. The valve stem must be turned in a little to a "mid seat" position for the gauge port to be open.

You need to demand your money back from that clown.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwills1000 View Post
    He said that Carrier Schrader valves for AC units this old are unique to Carrier and are basically non-existent and said I would need to replace the entire unit.
    Name:  ScratchHead_zps520b3114.gif
Views: 141
Size:  98.2 KB
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like that guy needs another apprenticeship.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need your money back!!!!

This guy either straight out lied to you or he has no clue and did not provide the service you paid for.

If this is not the owner of the company, I would call the company and explain the situation. Ask for a refund of the charges and find another company.

While it is possible that there is a refrigerant leak and you do have zero pressure, this guy did noting to prove one way or another. There is usually some pressure unless it is ALL gone.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Sounds like that guy needs another apprenticeship in another trade more his speed....like drywaller or wall paper paste taste tester.
    Fixed it for you.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks for all the replies and education. After reading all of these replies I did a Google search on Schrader Valves and Service Valves and now I know more than this HVAC contractor. I went out this morning and took a couple of pictures of my Service Valves but can't post them because I'm a new member. I will be calling him this morning to get this straightened out.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To suggest replacing a system because you can’t figure out a service valve is asinine.
    It’s also the type of person we refer to as a sales tech. Minimal technical training, with a push to sell sell sell.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Companies like this should be reported to the local district attorney

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried to find a picture to link to.
    is the cap on top flat?
    Or, for lack of a better description, look like a comically erect nipple?

If it's the second one, he's a loser. Ditch him.
    Find a different contractor.

By the way, those valves are readily avail anyways.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    To suggest replacing a system because you can’t figure out a service valve is asinine.
    Hopefully he is just lacking in knowledge.

Otherwise he is a lying cheating individual.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ