Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leaking line set....floor

Had a call at a 3 floor apartment building. unit had next to no gas in it couldn't find the leak after isolating the condenser and evap they both held 300 psi for 2 days...so the line set is leaking....the line is run in the ceiling of the first floor then comes up though the concrete floor into the ah...i asked if i could run a new line up the siding and come in to the ceiling of the unit i am working on so i dont have to open the first floor as this building is more like condos and each unit is owned....The HOA said nope... the old lady that owns the first floor unit that i need to open up the ceiling said nope and the HOA said since it only affects one unit its the owners job to pay for and get the ok form the old lady under him.....They also did some siding work/changed some bad plywood last month so im thinking they put a nail in his line but the HOA is saying he has to pay to take the siding down and if i find a leak they will pay for the job....also has to be voted on by the HOA to get the green light to do it

so basically I see no cheap way to help this old man and in the mean time i set up a portable unit in his bedroom. Any one run into stuff like this before that has some advice to give this man? I feel the HOA should pay to open up the building and him for his line....Also im trying not to piss the HOA off as the lady that runs it sends us a lot of work. Form what i can gather this man did something to piss off the HOA and they are railroading him

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have to isolate both lines at both ends, w/ caps inside and 1/4 Schrader outside,then pressurise and verify that the line set is leaking. KindaSorta.

3. Likes beenthere, CEAS-AC-TECH, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very unfortunate situation. I feel like you did all you could. I would be careful not to get into the middle of it.

Did you the isolate the line sets too? It's rare but I have seen leaks in units that are only active whe the unit is running. Just to be 100% sure it's not a bad idea to isolate. Go to the air handler and bend the liquid line into the suction and also put in a tap. Then charge up the hp and line sets, shut the service ports and see if the line set leaks down. If it does and the hp held then its the line sets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rquave33 View Post
    Had a call at a 3 floor apartment building. unit had next to no gas in it couldn't find the leak after isolating the condenser and evap they both held 300 psi for 2 days...so the line set is leaking....the line is run in the ceiling of the first floor then comes up though the concrete floor into the ah...i asked if i could run a new line up the siding and come in to the ceiling of the unit i am working on so i dont have to open the first floor as this building is more like condos and each unit is owned....The HOA said nope... the old lady that owns the first floor unit that i need to open up the ceiling said nope and the HOA said since it only affects one unit its the owners job to pay for and get the ok form the old lady under him.....They also did some siding work/changed some bad plywood last month so im thinking they put a nail in his line but the HOA is saying he has to pay to take the siding down and if i find a leak they will pay for the job....also has to be voted on by the HOA to get the green light to do it

so basically I see no cheap way to help this old man and in the mean time i set up a portable unit in his bedroom. Any one run into stuff like this before that has some advice to give this man? I feel the HOA should pay to open up the building and him for his line....Also im trying not to piss the HOA off as the lady that runs it sends us a lot of work. Form what i can gather this man did something to piss off the HOA and they are railroading him
    You really should have pressurized the line set as well.

Your A S S U M I N G its bad. Get back there, pressurize it to (600#'s R-401A) or (300#'s R-22) and confirm!

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ no kidding bad situation to assume. If the line set is confirmed as leaking you might be able to pin point where with an ultrasonic leak detector rather than tearing the place apart.

7. Likes Poodle Head Mikey liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out today suction line is leaking badly put a bit of gas with the nitrogen my leak detector couldn't pick up anything....so at this point not sure what to do with this guys system. Any ideas? All I can come up with is recommend they pull the siding and Plywood and hope it's there or popping some holes I can stick my leak detector probe into every few feet and see if I can get a hit.

Found out the story about why they are being hard on this guy the lady on the frist floor under him is friends or something with the lady that runs the HOA and a while back he went over the HOA and reported them to the parish for something with the elevator

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe you can find another routing for the lines (e.g. inside the unit and cover it with some nice looking conduits)

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the suction line is leaking its a good possibility somebody put a nail in it either hanging a picture or when they put up the siding. I had one like that on around the 3rd floor of a 20 story building with the condenser on the roof.It was an R22 unit but I decided to waste a whole can of 410A trying to find the leak. I filled it up with gas a few times & went through every floor from my unit up with the maintenance crew. I turned on my H10G out in the hall warmed it up & walked into each unit above. Around the 8th floor it started going crazy. It went off in another two floors above so luckily these were rental units so we got permission to start cutting the sheet rock. After cutting holes in about three units I found a nail hole in the suction line. Somebody evidently was hanging a picture. Whoever did it just patched the sheet rock & never said anything about it. The hole in the back of the sheet rock made it obvious what had happened. I don't know if any of the leak detectors today would work like that but the H10-G is great for just walking into the structure & going off if there is a good sized leak anywhere inside which usually means the evaporator coil.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was the suction line they repaired termite damage and did a lot more then just change the siding they rebuilt the whole wall had a nail clean though it and put a pin hole in the one next to it also...which was a good thing because they agreed to open up the wall when the guy above him stated having problems

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an experience similar to that with it being a hoa apartment thing and had drain line stopping up in the wall somewhere and the hoa wouldn’t approve of finding it and fixing it. The air handler was in a closet on the porch so ended up just runnin the drain throug the door and into the flower bed. Gotta handle those things delicately cuz ya do not wanna be wrapped up in the middle. You did all ya can tho.