+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECBOS-8 4.8 niagara High CPU usage

Post Likes

ECBOS-8 4.8 niagara High CPU usage

I've got a jace that is giving me all kinds of issues. The CPU is running around 100% all the time, and just seems overloaded. This jace is licensed for 200 controllers and 10,000 points we currently have 122 controllers and 4,500 points in the database. I've had two long tech support calls and haven't got any answers except you need another jace. The device has 5 mstp trunks all less than the 50 controller count Distech recommends in their network guide. I've tuned all the com trunks, and have non running higher than 50% busy time. I have also played with heap a little which makes no difference. Not sure what to make of this? I've had good luck with having routers manage the MSTP networks in the past instead of the jace. Thinking about going down that road, but really scratching my bald head at this point.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Norriski Tech View Post
    I've got a jace that is giving me all kinds of issues. The CPU is running around 100% all the time, and just seems overloaded. This jace is licensed for 200 controllers and 10,000 points we currently have 122 controllers and 4,500 points in the database. I've had two long tech support calls and haven't got any answers except you need another jace. The device has 5 mstp trunks all less than the 50 controller count Distech recommends in their network guide. I've tuned all the com trunks, and have non running higher than 50% busy time. I have also played with heap a little which makes no difference. Not sure what to make of this? I've had good luck with having routers manage the MSTP networks in the past instead of the jace. Thinking about going down that road, but really scratching my bald head at this point.
    There are reports of high cpu usage with 4.8 on the JACE-8000. Are you serving graphics from this JACE?
    See this thread:
    https://www.niagara-community.com/_u...D54G00006mM6Zq

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    There are reports of high cpu usage with 4.8 on the JACE-8000. Are you serving graphics from this JACE?
    See this thread:
    No graphics on the jace. Don't have my Niagara Central login on the tablet I'm on, but the one I saw was related to something with Wifi issues. That the one? Thinking I might try the jace at 4.7 tomorrow.

Post Likes
    I like the router Idea. Also reducing the baud rate from 76.8 to 38.4 gives you a little extra room. A little.
    Distech recommends no more than 120 to 125 on a JACE, no matter the license. You are right that that edge. Then add some histories and other hokey pokey and BAM! You are overloaded.
    Also slowing the execution on any BQLs you may have. That is a big one
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    I like the router Idea. Also reducing the baud rate from 76.8 to 38.4 gives you a little extra room. A little.
    Distech recommends no more than 120 to 125 on a JACE, no matter the license. You are right that that edge. Then add some histories and other hokey pokey and BAM! You are overloaded.
    Also slowing the execution on any BQLs you may have. That is a big one
    Already at 38.4. Asked tech support today, and having been looking for max controller recommendation on an EC-BOS. Tech support just stated no more than 50 devices per trunk and no answer on total devices under the licensed amount. Where would a guy find that info? Have a 4 port loytec router on the way, but do have more global programming, and histories to complete so hope it helps. Don't have a lot of BQL stuff in this station.

Post Likes
    They do not have that written that I know of. They told me that on the phone, I asked where that was written.... then after hemming, hawing, and topic changing they finally said it wasn't.
    And that is 120 to 125 at the 50(?) Points per device like the licenses for Niagara assume. If you have more than 5500 to 6500 points, then you are over that reccomendation. And as most thing Niagara, there is A LOT of slop in there. I have a station with 163 LON devices at 20-30% cpu... and there you are.
    Warning about the loytech router. You will want one for your bag after getting one of theirs. I LOVE the one I have and would HIGHLY reccomend it as a service tool.
    You can always turn off your histories and see what that does for you. Global programming... not so much.

7. Likes pringlel liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I had a similar issue. There is an issue with MSTP in 4.8 I am told. We had 3 trunks and maybe 35 controllers on all three Trunks TOTAL. JACE would lock up and do all kinds of things.

We ended up installed IP to MSTP routers and instant fix. I was told Tridium was aware of an issue. You also have quite a bit more controllers than I did but if you want to give it a shot I think it worth a try personally.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    I had a similar issue. There is an issue with MSTP in 4.8 I am told.
    So glad I always wait to put in the new rev...

Post Likes
    They do not have that written that I know of. They told me that on the phone, I asked where that was written.... then after hemming, hawing, and topic changing they finally said it wasn't.
    And that is 120 to 125 at the 50(?) Points per device like the licenses for Niagara assume. If you have more than 5500 to 6500 points, then you are over that reccomendation. And as most thing Niagara, there is A LOT of slop in there. I have a station with 163 LON devices at 20-30% cpu... and there you are.
    Warning about the loytech router. You will want one for your bag after getting one of theirs. I LOVE the one I have and would HIGHLY reccomend it as a service tool.
    You can always turn off your histories and see what that does for you. Global programming... not so much.
    Yes the undocumented truth is what I was looking for LOL!! I will be under 5000 points when done. I've got a similiar JCI site with FX controllers that has 20 to 30 % cpu and ticks like a watch. I used loytec routers on that job. That was one I engineered and did myself, this one is a clean up from others which I personally hate. I do like the routers also!! I did kill all the histories and seems to make no difference.

Post Likes
    I had a similar issue. There is an issue with MSTP in 4.8 I am told. We had 3 trunks and maybe 35 controllers on all three Trunks TOTAL. JACE would lock up and do all kinds of things.

We ended up installed IP to MSTP routers and instant fix. I was told Tridium was aware of an issue. You also have quite a bit more controllers than I did but if you want to give it a shot I think it worth a try personally.
    I hadn't heard that, but think it will be running at 4.7 tomorrow as a test for sure. Ordered a router this afternoon and should be here early next week. Thanks for the info.

Post Likes
    So glad I always wait to put in the new rev...
    I wanted some of the graphics updates for this job. Turned out it gave us a bit of a headache. All in all it was not too bad but yes, that’s never a bad idea.

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    this one is a clean up from others which I personally hate.
    I love this. I get to pick up tricks if the last guy didnt suck. If he did, I get to blame him as I sort his stuff out. I can only survive on that for so long... so there is a little pressure to deliver of course...

Post Likes
    I hadn't heard that, but think it will be running at 4.7 tomorrow as a test for sure. Ordered a router this afternoon and should be here early next week. Thanks for the info.
    My understanding is we were not the only ones.

As a test ,We unplugged the RS485 ports and the CPU dropped from 80 to 20. Now I realize there is not communication and that CPU should drop but with 3 IP to MSTP routers we are still running at about 20% CPU.

I was told 4.9 may have fixed it but I passed on testing it for that site. We could not roll back to 4.7 as we started in 4.8 so we had no choice but to try the routers.

Post Likes
    I love this. I get to pick up tricks if the last guy didnt suck. If he did, I get to blame him as I sort his stuff out. I can only survive on that for so long... so there is a little pressure to deliver of course...
    I call myself the shi* mop. The problem is with mopping up others is I have plenty of my own!

Post Likes
    I call myself the shi* mop. The problem is with mopping up others is I have plenty of my own!
    I prefer 'clean up hitter'. That's what I call myself. Clear the bases with a home run.
    You can use that if you like.

Post Likes
    My understanding is we were not the only ones.

As a test ,We unplugged the RS485 ports and the CPU dropped from 80 to 20. Now I realize there is not communication and that CPU should drop but with 3 IP to MSTP routers we are still running at about 20% CPU.

I was told 4.9 may have fixed it but I passed on testing it for that site. We could not roll back to 4.7 as we started in 4.8 so we had no choice but to try the routers.
    Yes I'm in the same boat with the problem jace at 4.8, but work pal has one I'm going throw in and try. I also tried unplugging the trunks and did see some improvement, not 60 percent like yours. That did make me think routers right away though.

Post Likes
    I prefer 'clean up hitter'. That's what I call myself. Clear the bases with a home run.
    You can use that if you like.
    Never batted in the 4 spot, was always 3. The 4 hitter was my twin brother who had a little more pop in his bat. I did hit one grand slam in my highschool career, and it did win the game. Next day in the sports page coach put a favorite in the headlines for hitting 3 singles. Thought Dad was going to kill that coach!! Sorry went back to the glory days with your baseball refrence. Think I will stick with the pooh mop.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    See this thread:
    Thanks for the input. I was sent the memory adjustment doc on this by a co-worker last week. I followed the instructions and adjusted the heap. No real improvement that I saw.

Post Likes
    Is it a problem with the distech special snowflake MSTP driver itself? Don't think we have ran into this with the stock driver.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Is it a problem with the distech special snowflake MSTP driver itself? Don't think we have ran into this with the stock driver.
    Well very possible? Like they would admit that if it was. I'm in the process of rolling it back to 4.7 to see if that helps, and also have a 4 port loytec router coming. The router will solve the MSTP issues if there is one I'm hoping

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in