+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returns that go nowhere

Post Likes

Returns that go nowhere

I have a 3 bedroom colonial built in 1943..( Height of the war,who built my house,women,old men ,real young men..Thats another story) The returns for my forced air system in my 2 baths and one in my kitchen have no duct work behind the grill and just go into the framed wall..All my other grills and registers go into duct work like they should..Anyone know why they would do that? Could they just be to vent the air all the way to the attic? Should I plug them up?Very strange to me..

Post Likes
    Typically returns are not put into bathrooms because of humidity issues as well as possible odors, Kitchens do not require them as well because of odors then too if you burn something on the stove its most likely going to circulate thru the house as well, Is there a reason you want to plug them ?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

3. Likes WAYNE3298 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by retired btc View Post
    Typically returns are not put into bathrooms because of humidity issues as well as possible odors, Kitchens do not require them as well because of odors then too if you burn something on the stove its most likely going to circulate thru the house as well, Is there a reason you want to plug them ?
    That makes a lot of sense not wanting humidity and cooking odors to circulate through house..Thought if they were not doing anything why have them..Mine are in bad spots too..Thanks for a great reply..Stay safe..

Post Likes
    If Balloon Frame construction there using the cavity as a duct. Not a good idea!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    If Balloon Frame construction there using the cavity as a duct. Not a good idea!
    I dont think my house is balloon const. but still not a good I idea I think...I am going to seal those 3 off..Thanks for your reply..

Post Likes
    I wonder... if the cavity is for MUA (make up air)... supplied from either the attic or basement... so the bath fan or kitchen fan can exhaust and the air is replaced...

Back when... there were different expectations and engineering ideas...
    And they knew some things we seem to have forgotten...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I wonder... if the cavity is for MUA (make up air)... supplied from either the attic or basement... so the bath fan or kitchen fan can exhaust and the air is replaced...

Never heard of MUA..I am a carpenter not an HVAC Tech so thats new to me..Thanks..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rskangler View Post
    Never heard of MUA..I am a carpenter not an HVAC Tech so thats new to me..Thanks..
    Yeah, I had not either... until I had been in the business a while...
    MUA is the air supply to replenish what is exhausted out...
    If a bath vent or kitchen vent or clothes dryer exhausts air... there has to be air to replace it...
    Thus 'make up air'... grin

The old guys back when... figured out many ways to solve issues...
    And while their solutions were low tech... they worked.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    The returns in my kitchen and bathrooms are exhaust fans (no return). I let the exhaust fans draw make up air from the rest of the house.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Amazing how they did it back in the day. Some real steel from those folks building while a war was going on

Post Likes
    Not only that silbchris they were turning out ships faster than the enemy could sink them along with other things like fuel and ammo.
    What amazes me the most is how fast they were turning out aircraft carriers.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Not only that silbchris they were turning out ships faster than the enemy could sink them along with other things like fuel and ammo.
    And SUBMARINES. The Sub that I served on (1968-72') was built during WWII

Post Likes
    Tell us some about being on a sub Techman. Maybe start a new thread about it.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    At one point... a Ford plant in the midwest was turning out a B-17 every hour... every hour...
    Boggles the mind what happened back then...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    When I was in Germany GA our barber was a German that was in the army. He told me he was captured and when taken behind the lines he saw new vehicles of all kinds lined up as far as he could see and every one of them full of fuel.
    He said he knew then without a doubt they were going to lose. They couldn't get enough fuel to even retreat if they had a vehicle to retreat in.
    Don't forget that women did a lot of the factory work.
    If my memory is correct they were turning out ships once a week.
    Thomas Jefferson

17. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The comradery was tops. There were 26 individual categories that HAD TO BE LEARNED/MASTERED in order to earn your "DOLPHINS", meaning that you were Qualified to serve onboard a Sub. You had to learn one system a week to stay on the recommended learning time line. ACR was one of those systems to be "learned" (Ha!) I was lucky enough to be in the "A" Gang(Auxiliaries) and we were responsible for the ACR.

Being a Diesel/Electric powered BOAT,we pulled into the docks everywhere we went. Civilians loved/liked us immensely. A "hard worker" was appreciated by the Officers/Chiefs and fellow Enlisted men.

I could go on for hours,but I'll stop here. OK one more.

Being in the "A" gang we got involved in LOTS of oddball stuff. While operating in the Mediterranean Sea,while "Snorkeling" a rust hole blew out and stated to flood(talk about floodback) the diesel engines. We had to "EMERGENCY SURFACE" to repair the leak. It was the "A" gangs job/responsibility and I was the helper/gofer.WE had to crawl under the Clamshell(deck) for 50-80' to make the repair. After the patch was made and pressure tested by diving to a few hundred feet, the Captain "ordered" the REAL Tech and the REAL Gofer(me) and the Corpsman to the Captains Quarters to be administered a shot of "Medicinal" Brandy.Now THAT WAS AN HONOUR!!! And I was all of 20 years of age, And a shot of booze simply by just doing my Job!!!!!!!!!!

19. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks Techman!!! If you start a thread I will read every word. Sounds like you had a first rate captain.
    Thomas Jefferson

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    That is a brilliant idea. I wonder if that Was the concept in this case.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Before and during much of the war Germans worked only the day shift. At five o'clock the factories closed and everybody went home. Weekends - no Germans worked. And the women were all supposed to be home raising good German children. It's weird to picture that in America - Everybody went to work, worked all three shifts, and production was non-stop. And soon incredibly streamlined.

PHM
    --------

When I was in Germany GA our barber was a German that was in the army. He told me he was captured and when taken behind the lines he saw new vehicles of all kinds lined up as far as he could see and every one of them full of fuel.
    He said he knew then without a doubt they were going to lose. They couldn't get enough fuel to even retreat if they had a vehicle to retreat in.
    Don't forget that women did a lot of the factory work.
    If my memory is correct they were turning out ships once a week.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in