+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Friend gutting house, advice?

Post Likes

Friend gutting house, advice?

I'm an HVAC tech, 4th year 313a in Hamilton Ontario.
    I have a friend in downtown Kitchener gutting a small house, he wants me to duct it, bring in gas (remove existing oil), do furnace AC.
    I'm going to have a heat loss calc done per room (anyone recommend someone for that?)
    I just wanted to know, my friend and I are both pretty echo conscious, but we have to do what makes sense to cost.
    Instead of gas furnace and AC, I was thinking of adding an air source heat pump. My question is, is there a way in the thermostat to get it to run gas during peak hydro rates, and heat pump otherwise, also factoring in a certain outdoor temperature?

Post Likes
    Some of the high end thermostats have special options...

One would need to do research on them...

IMO definitely do NOT attempt to heat without gas... heating with elec is very expensive... even though gas is not 'cool' in the green world...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Just install a Honeywell iaq prestige 2.0 with outdoor sensor. Do a lockout of the heat pump after 35F then run the gas furnace. Anything above 40F run the heat pump. That's a dual fuel system. But is electric cheaper in your area or natural gas? I would also look into Fujitsu slim duct heat pump systems. Not sure your temps but they work their rated capacity until -15F before they start losing capacity . What's nice above the -15F they are over their capacity rating and are more efficient . I just don't know what's your utility cost up there. Also the -15F capability you need additional add on components to get to that point. Also with the Fujitsu or any other slim duct options you would have to come up with additional heating source once the heat pump can't maintain temps. But if he does a good job with renovations and building envelope I can't see why the heat pump not hold up? How cold does it get up there?

Post Likes
    BTW if your concerned with being green... There is a company who makes DC volt mini splits and you can install solar panels to run the heat pump/ac. Just don't know if you can get the equipment. It's made by Pioneer .

Post Likes
    I second what the guy above me said. Put in a Honeywell Prestige with a wireless outdoor sensor and run the heat pump to 40*F then after that have it kick over to gas. I’d install at least a 2 stage high efficiency furnace with a middle of the road heat pump (Around 16 seer). You can go more efficient but depends on how much you want to spend on equipment

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in