+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New testo probes

Post Likes

New testo probes

Just got the new testo probes in. Kit with air temp. They are supposed to be the version 2 with 350’ Bluetooth. High side probe dropped at 35’ from condenser. R/a probe dropped as soon as I walked out of house. Should I try new batteries before I request a return from ttt ? Or just get a return and get the fieldpiece probes ? I know going thru walls would cut down on the 350’ but I was outside looking at condenser. On an iPad if that matters.
    Thanks Kurt

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by actech2 View Post
    Just got the new testo probes in. Kit with air temp. They are supposed to be the version 2 with 350’ Bluetooth. High side probe dropped at 35’ from condenser. R/a probe dropped as soon as I walked out of house. Should I try new batteries before I request a return from ttt ? Or just get a return and get the fieldpiece probes ? I know going thru walls would cut down on the 350’ but I was outside looking at condenser. On an iPad if that matters.
    Thanks Kurt
    I got the fieldpiece sm480v and two psychrometer probes and everything is freaking awesome! I have yet to actually get them out of range. Even working several stories down from where they are.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Sorry buddy. It’s always frustrating when a new tool or toy doesn’t work right. For what it’s worth, I’ve got the Fieldpiece wireless probes and I would and have recommended them to everyone I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes actech2, mgenius33 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Talked with ttt and Monday we are gonna do a conference call with testo. If I have to get a refund I will and add a little to it and go with fieldpiece.

6. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Talked with ttt and Monday we are gonna do a conference call with testo. If I have to get a refund I will and add a little to it and go with fieldpiece.
    Yep the extra money is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    On my FP kit, I've never got beyond 120ft line of sight with out losing connection. One block wall with steel siding and it looses connection. Drops out at 20 feet line of sight sometimes, and I have to reboot app to bring it back. Annoying, but when it's working is great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks Kurt

I bought the full set of Testo probes two months ago ( 2nd gen with the 350' range ) and I have to say my experience so far with them is that any unobstructed view will get you quiet a good range but it drops dramatically after a few thick walls or floors.

I also noticed if you have strong Wi-Fi signals or others devices in the area, weak signals get easily blocked off.

I'm really impressed with the stability of 6 probes being used at the same time on an iOS device ( even tried to connect all of them to check and it works ok, though a bit slower to refresh on screen ).

It's also worth mentionning that not all the probes are extended range : only the pressure transducers, temperature clamps and thermo hygrometers are ...

10. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you device is also connected to multiple other BT devices like a watch, airpods etc this can also reduce the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I wish Fieldpiece and Testo had extenders repeaters like yellow jackets y-jacks have that have a a range of 2400 feet. The only down side is the will not be compatible with measure quick because yellow is suborn when it comes to allowing their products from being used by other theirs part apps. It doesn’t help yellow jacket when people decide what brand products they choose to use.

Post Likes
    Does anyone know, are FP and Testo, BT5 or 4.3?
    I need to buy smart probes and I am wondering when BT5 will come out, I think current versions on the market are not BT5

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aendilx View Post
    Does anyone know, are FP and Testo, BT5 or 4.3?
    I need to buy smart probes and I am wondering when BT5 will come out, I think current versions on the market are not BT5

I've been asking this for the past year but no response from manufacturers. The yellow jacket y-jack and imanifold a the only two smart probes you can get distance with but you need the YJ digital manifold.to.use the y-jacks...

Post Likes
    Here's my experience with those: they lost connectivity with me going behind 2 brick walls, Sheetrock wall, flooring, duct-work and 3 feet below the sensor at 20 feet. Straight line at line of sight is phenomenal, held steady at 60 feet. I wish it were BT 5, but 4.3 is just fine for my purposes.

Post Likes
    Literature from FP says requires BT 4.0 or later. I know my tablet is a Samsung Tab S2 2016 w/ BT 4.1 and my new Samsung S10e is BT 5.0. The tablet is bullet proof with MQ, and almost as good with JL. My phone is bullet proof with MQ but less so with JL. Still usable tho.

Post Likes
    Yes, all have backward compatibility under BT, the biggest advantage of BT5 is it uses less power, other parameters like speed of data transfer are irrelevant. Only power consumption is far less on 5 than prior versions.

Post Likes
    They changed some things in 4 LE that makes it possible to cut the power and don't need a solid two way connection for data. I think it's called beacon and drastically improves range and battery life.

Post Likes
    I've been using wireless tools for quite a while and can tell you for sure, there are a lot of things that can mess with connectivity. I would say most of it is app related. The reason I say that is that even today, after a lot of upgrades to BT technology and app updates, there is a great difference between the JL app and MQ, with MQ being far better. . I have almost abandoned the JL app, except when I want a quick pressure reading. When I'm wanting to work on a system and need readings reliably, MQ is the one I go for. Also, I'm sure there are different quality BT radios built into different tools, so that probably shows up manufacturer to manufacturer. Then there are the outside influences, such as strong wifi in the area, walls, distance etc. I have not used any probes other than FP JL, and I will say they work very well. They will, on a good day, be connected as far as 300ft or so, with no major obstructions. I usually have no problems around a large home with everything working fine. I also have very little problems on large commercial sites, only having to move to a better location a time or two when doing several floors. My working pal is looking at buying the new UEI or Testo probes, and I'd love to see how they work, but I'm more of a FP fan. One other thing, when I used the FP SMAN 380 I can't rememer ever having a problem anywhere with connectivity with the JL temp and psychrometer probes. It was rock solid. Obviously the temp probes were right there, but sometimes they were inside at the evaporators and the psychros were a long way off in commercial buildings, and no problem at all.
    It really seems the JL app is the weak link in the connectivity chain, and varified when you switch to MQ and all problems disappear. This isn't the only problem of course, but it is the most prevalent problem by far. I will say the JL app is useable, just really annoying at times, and it has improved from the initial releases being quite unusable. That was one of the reasons I bought the 380 manifold as I was able to use the probes with it if I wanted, and was thinking of ditching the probes due to connectivity issues. But that was a while ago, and things have improved, and before I finally broke down and used MQ.
    As of right now, I have sold the 380 and rely on JL probes exclusively, I've not had any problems and rely mostly on MQ.

21. Likes jim bergmann liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in