Thread: Fan Motor Amperage Draw

Post Likes

Fan Motor Amperage Draw

Hi,

I had a company out last year to replace my fan motor as it was drawing higher amps then is should. Two weeks after installation, my unit shut off. They came back out and said the new one is also pulling more amps and replaced it.

Three weeks after the second new fan motor was installed, the system shorted out again. They never could find a reason why the system was shutting off.

Fast forward and I just had them back for a summer tune up. The fan motor is rated for .93 amperage and yesterday it was pulling .90. The tech said there was nothing he could do but said it should really be pulling less then .90 amps.

Is it ok for a fan motor with .93 rating to be pulling so close to that rating?

2. Likes Aendilx liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccoy410 View Post
    Hi,

I had a company out last year to replace my fan motor as it was drawing higher amps then is should. Two weeks after installation, my unit shut off. They came back out and said the new one is also pulling more amps and replaced it.

Three weeks after the second new fan motor was installed, the system shorted out again. They never could find a reason why the system was shutting off.

Fast forward and I just had them back for a summer tune up. The fan motor is rated for .93 amperage and yesterday it was pulling .90. The tech said there was nothing he could do but said it should really be pulling less then .90 amps.

Is it ok for a fan motor with .93 rating to be pulling so close to that rating?
    Are we talking about the indoor or outdoor fan?

Post Likes
    Outside unit

Post Likes
    Is it a Trane/American Standard from 2-3 years ago? I replaced a few motors with the same issue. .90 amps is normal draw.

6. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks, not sure the brand but it was installed August 2019.....do you think the system short circuiting where the outside unit just shuts down every 20 days is related to when the fan motor overamps?

Post Likes
    Could a been a batch of bad motors, I believe I ended up replacing the second OEM motor with a rescue motor on a two week old system. Not sure what you mean by the system shorted out again’.

Post Likes
    Sorry but even when they installed the new fan motor, the same issue was occurring where the outside system would shut down

Post Likes
    As long as the motor draws LESS then the rated load it should be fine. Remember Voltage has to be checked at the same time. A Dirty coil will also cause high amperage.

Post Likes
    Right, I replaced the factory motor with a multi horsepower motor and it has been fine for years now. Did they order the factory motor? Was it the same rpm and horsepower rating?

Post Likes
    Has the fan blade been changed?

Post Likes
    Hi fan blades not changed, just the fan motor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in