+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manitowoc QD0132A - Harvest time exceeded error

Post Likes
    I installed it not long ago ( less than 6 months ) after changing the compressor here at the shop. It started the error about month after, though less frequently. Now it's every time they go to get ice from it. It's level and clean. But I am going to go ahead and clean / descale it to eliminate that as a problem.

Post Likes
    Possibly a sticking hot gas valve.

Usually excessive harvest time is due to dirty evap or one that is losing the nickle plating. But that would be a continuing problem. Does this model have a air pump assist? If so, take a look at that as well.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Possibly a sticking hot gas valve.

Usually excessive harvest time is due to dirty evap or one that is losing the nickle plating. But that would be a continuing problem. Does this model have a air pump assist? If so, take a look at that as well.
    I've dealt with the nickle plating issue multiple times in the past. This evaps plating is in excellent condition and it's apparently very clean. I'm not familiar with air assist. I assume it's to help the fall ice off the evap. I didn't see anything like that on the unit nor in the manual. I'll look though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Accurate AC View Post
    Got ya. Thanks
    That's a basic machine and the manual covers almost all situations! LED flickering means there getting a signal to Open/Close

Post Likes
    Every time when I arrive I find the machine shut down on a harvest error. Every time I retrieved the code and I reset the power it operates perfectly. Production time is less than 20 min per drop. Harvest time is correct. Bridge thickness is perfect. Pressures are good in production and harvest ( so far as my experience and research tells me ). The water system is super clean. The evaporator nickle plating is in great shape. The water supply / filter is new with good pressure on the filter gauge. The ice drops evenly with no hang ups. I'm hoping someone here has experience they can share with me to help me get this issue solved. I appreciate you help.
    I installed it not long ago ( less than 6 months ) after changing the compressor here at the shop. It started the error about month after, though less frequently. Now it's every time they go to get ice from it. It's level and clean. But I am going to go ahead and clean / descale it to eliminate that as a problem.
    Sounds like a refurb if you changed the compressor and resold it. You guys likely didn't find the issue that took out the original compressor, and have an intermittent issue. I play a daily game with the old SY300 in the shop I run, typically I find the pump running but not actually pumping water, calcium build up usually preventing the actuator from spinning and moving water. If I'm not mistaken, the safety indication for long harvest and long freeze time are the same safety code on those units. So you could have one or the other, or both issues.

You need to spend a couple hours watching it to see when the issue happens. Get a stopwatch or any timing device, record the pre-chill, water-fill, freeze time, and harvest time for at least 5 consecutive batches. Take note of any irregularities in ice formation on the plate, differences in thickness, harvest times, etc...

While you are watching, run some simple electrical tests to ensure proper voltage to all components

If you get 5 straight batches of ice with zero issues and consistent timing on the batches, just inform them the issue is intermittent and replacing the ice machine is probably the best option.

A small undercounter unit like the one you are working on is only about $1500-2000 to replace brand new, and other than the water line and drain all you have to do is plug it in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorTech View Post
    Sounds like a refurb if you changed the compressor and resold it. You guys likely didn't find the issue that took out the original compressor, and have an intermittent issue. I play a daily game with the old SY300 in the shop I run, typically I find the pump running but not actually pumping water, calcium build up usually preventing the actuator from spinning and moving water. If I'm not mistaken, the safety indication for long harvest and long freeze time are the same safety code on those units. So you could have one or the other, or both issues.

You need to spend a couple hours watching it to see when the issue happens. Get a stopwatch or any timing device, record the pre-chill, water-fill, freeze time, and harvest time for at least 5 consecutive batches. Take note of any irregularities in ice formation on the plate, differences in thickness, harvest times, etc...

While you are watching, run some simple electrical tests to ensure proper voltage to all components

If you get 5 straight batches of ice with zero issues and consistent timing on the batches, just inform them the issue is intermittent and replacing the ice machine is probably the best option.

A small undercounter unit like the one you are working on is only about $1500-2000 to replace brand new, and other than the water line and drain all you have to do is plug it in.
    A typical S problem is a dirty water level probe intermittently causing no water hence no pumping. Pull the trough out and pull the water level probe straight down and disconnect. Clean the metal and the plastic inside and out around the sensor. If you thing the pump is stalling on trash you can pull the pump out the same way and soak the pump part in cleaner.

7. Likes Accurate AC liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorTech View Post

According to the service manual the safety indication for long harvest ( Harvest time exceeds 3.5 minutes for 3 consecutive harvest cycles ) is two blinks of the red LED. Long freeze time ( Freeze time exceeds 60 minutes for 3 consecutive freeze cycles ) in one blink.

That being said I never checked the water level sensor nor watched it on site for as long as you suggest. It is something I plan on doing after I gather all the info / advice I can. I did run it here at the shop for 48 hours ( and timed freeze and harvest for about 8 hours ) with no faults.

Unfortunately it was repaired for sale to a friend at slightly above cost so that means "lifetime warranty". This is why one should never sell anything to a friend - LOL. I will be sitting with it for several hours, logging data and, if I don't find the fault, post the data here.

Post Likes
    If it shut down on a error the code is stored in memory for a period of time.
    From off watch for the code before the machine restarts after you turn the power switch on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    If it shut down on a error the code is stored in memory for a period of time.
    From off watch for the code before the machine restarts after you turn the power switch on.
    I did. Result = 2 red LED blinks.

Post Likes
    I did. Result = 2 red LED blinks.
    Yes, That's what you wrote in the first post...

Should I repeat the three things that I wrote that are most likely causing your issue?

Post Likes
    A typical S problem is a dirty water level probe intermittently causing no water hence no pumping. Pull the trough out and pull the water level probe straight down and disconnect. Clean the metal and the plastic inside and out around the sensor. If you thing the pump is stalling on trash you can pull the pump out the same way and soak the pump part in cleaner.
    You would love to see the unit in this store iceman, I've put a lot of band-aids on it haha. Compressor is still kicking so its not time to replace yet (cost issue, sigh). Water probe housing broke, so a good few wraps of electrical tape and shoving it in place is doing the trick. Left side of curtain mount broke off, so a eyelet screwed into the plastic replaced it. Pump housing also lost a plastic tab, so after cleaning a fresh piece of saran wrap holds that in place. Finally replaced water trough recently, both tabs were gone and self-tappers were the new tabs holding it up.

15 years old and still running with original compressor ^_^

Post Likes
    The harvest cycle on the Manatowoc is the point in which the machine is under greatest load. What I find is a combination of a less than perfect evaporator and a worn compressor unable to produce the heat required to warm the backside of the evaporator to allow the sheet of ice to drop. I've tuned them up some when they get to this point which requires adding the slightest amount of refrigerant and carefully watching that head pressure while in the harvest cycle using a stubby gauge. The book calls for 165-180, so pushing it to the max may buy a few months but that's it. It's basically dead. I've never had a compressor flat out die in any of my Manatowocs, only wear out. But make sure the unit is level before going through all of the work. I maintain 22 water cooled units in a large faciilty.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    The harvest cycle on the Manatowoc is the point in which the machine is under greatest load. What I find is a combination of a less than perfect evaporator and a worn compressor unable to produce the heat required to warm the backside of the evaporator to allow the sheet of ice to drop. I've tuned them up some when they get to this point which requires adding the slightest amount of refrigerant and carefully watching that head pressure while in the harvest cycle using a stubby gauge. The book calls for 165-180, so pushing it to the max may buy a few months but that's it. It's basically dead. I've never had a compressor flat out die in any of my Manatowocs, only wear out. But make sure the unit is level before going through all of the work. I maintain 22 water cooled units in a large faciilty.
    I've never add over the factory charge but seen low on charge kill a harvest. I have tilted the machine forward and just raised the head via the water regulating valve to drop ice before for old pump or evap that's in bad shape.

Post Likes
    I've never add over the factory charge but seen low on charge kill a harvest. I have tilted the machine forward and just raised the head via the water regulating valve to drop ice before for old pump or evap that's in bad shape.
    I agree with that.

I'm referring to the oldest of units, Q models. Typically by the time a compressor is too weak to harvest, it's not producing very good ice either. Adding a slight amount gently decreases the SH assisting the freeze cycle.....but who knows, maybe all i am doing is adding make up gas that may have seeped from schreader valves over the 15 yrs or so.. I get 15 years out of the water cooled units at my facility. No point replacing a compressor, the evap plating is worn off too. Also no point in trying to remove the gas and weighing it. I don't trust the scales for small amounts. I go with the pressure/temp readings, water temp, cycle times and the book. I've brought a few back from the dead which gives us time to order a new one.

Post Likes
    We still have B water-cooled machines we take care of.
    Those water-cooled last a long time.

Post Likes
    We still have B water-cooled machines we take care of.
    Those water-cooled last a long time.
    Still have 12 in them?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Still have 12 in them?
    Do we have 12 of them? Maybe
    Do we have 12 in them? No
    Still have 402B in them though

Post Likes
    I want that itty bitty tank of my truck real bad lol

Post Likes
    It was olive green if I recall
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    It was olive green if I recall
    Olive as in I'llive never find it in my truck if I ever need it again but as soon as I take it off I'll need it again.

22. Likes 2sac liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in