Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's a Nasty Customer Look Like for You?

Post Likes
    Initially aggressive about not wanting some "cowboy scammer" - I make my own reputation. Instant red flag you don't need from trying to gain new customers. Just my opinion

Post Likes
    had one that salesman said, just run the flex duct through old window. was in a cellar/basement, window went out under old porch. filthy rug/towel? over window w/half panes missing.

I asked if I could make a panel and put in place of old window, sure, that's ok. came in little early, made a sheet metal panel w/ductboard liner. cut mouse hole in top for flex duct and gas line.

popped old window out, was held in by one nail and friction. thief could get in easy enough, wind blowing through as well. put in panel, secrewed in place. secure and much more airtight than before.

cust called back complaining, pinky size hole beside gas line where could see daylight.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    had one that salesman said, just run the flex duct through old window. was in a cellar/basement, window went out under old porch. filthy rug/towel? over window w/half panes missing.

I asked if I could make a panel and put in place of old window, sure, that's ok. came in little early, made a sheet metal panel w/ductboard liner. cut mouse hole in top for flex duct and gas line.

popped old window out, was held in by one nail and friction. thief could get in easy enough, wind blowing through as well. put in panel, secrewed in place. secure and much more airtight than before.

cust called back complaining, pinky size hole beside gas line where could see daylight.
    That's pathetic...some people just cannot be made happy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    People who did hvac at one point in time of their life for a short period of time and try to tell you what’s wrong and how to fix it. If you know what’s wrong and what it needs what am I doing here again?? Also the people where for example the need a new capacitor and you show em it’s swollen up and give them the price and they look the exact same part up on the interscreen and say,look I can buy it for this much so why are you charging me so much more. Then it’s a well,ya gotta pay me for what I know and my wages and insurance,fuel so on and so forth. People are wonderful. Lol

Post Likes
    who just stares every other woman in the store with bad intention

Post Likes
    JUst some things I look for:
    Those people that ask a million inane questions almost like they are looking for something else to say because they like the sound of their own voice. Once the job is done all those questions become complaints, concerns, and issues that you need to deal with, often finding no problem.
    I look for creases in their face, like either frown or smile lines. If I am doubting whether to do a job and the spider senses are tingling I look for which lines they have. I was looking at a lady once who tried to smile and I swear I could hear her face creaking trying to use muscles she was not used to using. Then she frowned and every crease went back to normal. I decided to take a pass since she had already started with the 100+ questions and "I have done my research and Goodman IS the #1 highest rated brand despite what you are saying. You are just trying to sell me another brand because you make more money"

Post Likes
    Along those lines of customers asking a 1000 questions. I've noticed that when they start asking specific questions about equipment model and trying to look things up online and trying to pit companies bids against each other you're just wasting your time trying to hassle with them.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

8. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Along those lines of customers asking a 1000 questions. I've noticed that when they start asking specific questions about equipment model and trying to look things up online and trying to pit companies bids against each other you're just wasting your time trying to hassle with them.

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Time to either collect your diagnostic fee and leave...
    Or just leave.

AND...

Put this contact in your phone... under the group:
    'waste of time customer'
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

10. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Time to either collect your diagnostic fee and leave...
    Or just leave.

AND...

Put this contact in your phone... under the group:
    'waste of time customer'
    Hahaha yep time to blacklist them

I actually had a dude go so far as to insist I also give him the serial number of the equipment and I was like what are you talking about the serial number is whatever it is we don't control that. That guy was a massive waste of time and was trying to communicate with me through text. Needless to say I cut that guy off pretty fast!

I gave that guy over to our competition so he could waste their time hahaha.

Post Likes
    Hahaha yep time to blacklist them

I actually had a dude go so far as to insist I also give him the serial number of the equipment and I was like what are you talking about the serial number is whatever it is we don't control that. That guy was a massive waste of time and was trying to communicate with me through text. Needless to say I cut that guy off pretty fast!

I gave that guy over to our competition so he could waste their time hahaha.

I have a couple of guys I just LOVE to had those problems off to...

(And no, they are not on this forum... )
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

13. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes

Bad thing has been with so many people home these days everyone seems to be taking like 11 bids, and now they're "really" confused, but they think they know all about HVAC. Now it just turns in to a price thing.

Post Likes
    Agree with most of what was already said, googling prices in front of you and mentioning other companies quotes is annoying.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    Bad thing has been with so many people home these days everyone seems to be taking like 11 bids, and now they're "really" confused, but they think they know all about HVAC. Now it just turns in to a price thing.
    They’re confused cuz each company is telling them something different with a lot of conflicting information so they don’t know what to believe. Then they’re like welp this company is the cheapest so they go with them,then later it has problems and said company can’t get it right so owners call one of the other companies to come do it correctly and they end up paying more than if one of the higher bid companies did it in the first place.

Post Likes
    Do not micro-manage me - unless you know more than me don't try to tell me how things should go. Of course if you Do know more than me about something - jump right in: I am all ears. <g>

Do not use a condescending tone or attitude on me - I'm here to help You - not the other way around.

I don't care if people watch me - but I do start 'thinking out loud' - "Well; let's have a look here - see what happening . . . "and then I keep up a step-by-step conversational diagnosing-dialog as I work through whatever it is.

PHM
    --------

In the show Criminal Minds they attempt to outline the psychological profile of the criminals. What type of customer (ie profile) do you guys struggle with the most? I've listed a few below that seem to be pattern conflicts for me.

1) I've had two occasions with managers (both female) that tried to boss me around at a service call. When I respectfully explained that I simply cannot do it that way, they got super nasty and literally tried to destroy me behind my back with character assassination.

2) I've have a handful of old retired guys that hang over my shoulder the entire time (which I can handle). But then they proceed to give me advice and/or make smart comments. I can tell by their comments that they are actually completely ignorant and are simply trying to act like they are somebody...it's a power play for sure.

I've worked with awesome female managers and awesome old retired guys that are super good people but when I run into the two types I described above it's game over.

Anyway it was on my mind because I'll be working for one of those super annoying old guys tomorrow hahahaha.

Who do you all find challenging?

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    Reminds me of a couple of short stories.

I've had a few customers through the years ask if I minded if they watched me do my thing. I always say no, knock yourself out. I just can't talk to you and do my thing at the same time.

Had this one guy who wanted to talk about anything and everything. I just put my tools down and talked with him. A point in time came when I mentioned to him he was on the clock. And he was paying X amount of dollars per hour to talk with me. I don't think he spoke another word. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Do not micro-manage me - unless you know more than me don't try to tell me how things should go. Of course if you Do know more than me about something - jump right in: I am all ears. <g>

Do not use a condescending tone or attitude on me - I'm here to help You - not the other way around.

I don't care if people watch me - but I do start 'thinking out loud' - "Well; let's have a look here - see what happening . . . "and then I keep up a step-by-step conversational diagnosing-dialog as I work through whatever it is.

PHM
    --------
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

19. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I also mumble out loud when I'm w/ "In-House" HVACR guys. I say things like"What the hell is this part?" or "Must be another damn compressor'' or "Cripes, I don't know what the hell I'm doing again". I get a kick out of their replies,lol.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I also mumble out loud when I'm w/ "In-House" HVACR guys. I say things like"What the hell is this part?" or "Must be another damn compressor'' or "Cripes, I don't know what the hell I'm doing again". I get a kick out of their replies,lol.
    Or "I wish I hadn't drank all that cough syrup"

Post Likes
    For the most part people just want to do what they can to "shorten" the time you're there, to save $$. I usually just get that out of the way first with a "tell me what ya got goin on". Let them get that out, I've found that works best for me, cause they feel better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    "Oh, I know what's goin on now, I learned that in Rehab"

24. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Try me.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    . . . . Last employer I was with went with a third party vendor. If I told you how much money they were owed, you wouldn't believe me.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast