Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charging a system.

Post Likes
    When your charging with liquid, stop when the compressor starts getting noisy. When it quiets down, start charging again.

The reason you can charge R22 as a vapor is that its not a blend.

Blended refrigerant (410a) has a glide (portions of the blend boil at different pressures/temperatures), so if you charge a blend as gas, technically you could introduce a higher concentration of part of the blend.

I charge always in liquid through suction and take care not to overly flood the compressor. PS, you can hear when its starting to flood.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.14 View Post
    When your charging with liquid, stop when the compressor starts getting noisy. When it quiets down, start charging again.

The reason you can charge R22 as a vapor is that its not a blend.

Blended refrigerant (410a) has a glide (portions of the blend boil at different pressures/temperatures), so if you charge a blend as gas, technically you could introduce a higher concentration of part of the blend.

I charge always in liquid through suction and take care not to overly flood the compressor. PS, you can hear when its starting to flood.
    Or just before it bounces off its feet!

3. Likes stumpdigger liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For charging with liquid my preferred method is to turn it into vapor before it even gets close to the compressor on the low side.
    My manifold has a sight glass. And i use ball valves on the end of my hoses.
    So when I'm charging liquid into a running system i just barely crack open the ball valve on the charging tank end.
    The restriction of the barely open ball valve turns the liquid into vapor, and that's easily verified by looking into the sight glass on the manifold.
    Now if the system isn't running and it's an initial charge or a critical charge then depending on system layout I'll charge liquid right into the high side and let the charge equalize for around ten minutes before firing it up.
    But recently on smaller systems I've become really fond of using my recovery machine to charge systems.
    Seems to be much easier to control the speed at which I'm charging which helps avoid over charging

Post Likes
    Invest in a charging adapter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticBee View Post
    Invest in a charging adapter.
    If Im thinking of the 3screw tapping valve for recovery they are never left on. They always leak if left there. I braize in permanent Schrader valve stems..

7. Likes stumpdigger liked this post.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123