Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaleboy96 View Post
    So I read that R-22 systems can be charged with vapour but R-410a bottles have to be flipped upside down to fill with liquid?
    Whaleboy96, your profile says you are an HVAC Tech. So what part do you not understand? Maybe I misunderstand what you are asking? The ultimate reason why you vapor or liquid charge, has to do with the refrigerants. What type of refrigerant is R22? What type of refrigerant is R410a? Hint: it has to do with boiling points, how are they made.

2. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Copeland approved or lucky?
    Copeland says to meter in the liquid. They never said to pulse it in.

I've topped off/finish charged way too many systems that way, for it to be luck.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

4. Likes stumpdigger liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Whaleboy96, your profile says you are an HVAC Tech. So what part do you not understand? Maybe I misunderstand what you are asking? The ultimate reason why you vapor or liquid charge, has to do with the refrigerants. What type of refrigerant is R22? What type of refrigerant is R410a? Hint: it has to do with boiling points, how are they made.
    I've been liquid charging through the vapor side since the 80s. Vapor just takes too long. No matter what refrigerant it is.

Does help to listen to the compressor when your liquid charging through the vapor line.
    Contractor locator map

6. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I've been liquid charging through the vapor side since the 80s. Vapor just takes too long. No matter what refrigerant it is.

Does help to listen to the compressor when your liquid charging through the vapor line.
    I agree totally,been doin the same and never broke one. Use common sense, we're not lookin to see the discharge line frost.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Me too, I've been liquid charging since 70's. In the factory we liquid charged every single unit. But I read Whaleboys question differently than the rest of you

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do "we" have a contact to a Copeland Engineer? A word or several dozen words would clear up this "liquid dumping" into the suction of a Recip/Scroll comp,yes/no? I would concede to a Copeland Authorized Person.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    I agree totally,been doin the same and never broke one. Use common sense, we're not lookin to see the discharge line frost.

Remember being told by manufacturers tech trainers, and these guys were upper caliber, "your running that refrigerant through the manifold, a 1/4" hose, a valve core depressor & valve core, you'd have trouble slugging that compressor if you kept an eye on what going on." Yeah, that was in the 80's. Miss those no nonsense guys.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 80's there was a no-nonsense guy who's "cigar chomping" demeanor was/is well known by anyone Copeland. His name was Glenn Hanogan and he taught me to not slug "his" compressors at his 2 day Copeland COSS Seminar, the very 1st Copeland COSS in the NY,NJ,Ct "TriState"area. At my 2nd COSS(since expanded into 3 days) he taught me about Scrolls and his dislike for slugging "his" Scrolls. That is where I got my info from. But, I am willing to be re-educated

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if itís a heat pump with a new compressor going in and itís a -20 with the wind chill, you can use your recovery machine to force refrigerant in to specs...then run inside and get yourself defrosted...

13. Likes stumpdigger liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    It made me put HVAC tech, also Iíve received my journeyman sheet metal apprenticeship, I like to ask questions to see what others have to say and when I read things it helps to see other peopleís responses, they touch on air conditioning lightly in my course. Iíd have to take 4 years of refrigeration to get that. We install air conditioners and service them where I work and Iíve been going out on my own more often, but Iím just trying to brush up on my skills and do Things the right way and see what others have to offer with any help

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaleboy96 View Post
    It made me put HVAC tech, also Iíve received my journeyman sheet metal apprenticeship, I like to ask questions to see what others have to say and when I read things it helps to see other peopleís responses, they touch on air conditioning lightly in my course. Iíd have to take 4 years of refrigeration to get that. We install air conditioners and service them where I work and Iíve been going out on my own more often, but Iím just trying to brush up on my skills and do Things the right way and see what others have to offer with any help
    I have seen people dump their bottle upside down and liquid fill straight in the vapour line with 410a

Iíve seen guys use a metering device that attaches on the charging manifold before refrigerant goes into suction line

Iíve seen tanks that you donít need to turn upside down to liquid charge a 410a system

Just making sure what Iíve seen is right

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If youíre really concerned about flooding while charging, buy one of these. Name:  IMG_1137.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.97 MB
    Name:  IMG_1136.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  2.80 MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Do "we" have a contact to a Copeland Engineer? A word or several dozen words would clear up this "liquid dumping" into the suction of a Recip/Scroll comp,yes/no? I would concede to a Copeland Authorized Person.
    LOL, not from 1980.

You can hear when your dumping too much liquid into the vapor line.

Scrolls are capable of handling liquid flood back for short durations. So metered liquid charging is not a problem either. Excessive flood back will tend to cause a winding failure.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast