+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Average time for cascade system to reach set point

Post Likes

Average time for cascade system to reach set point

Just had a professor shut down and defrost his Fisher Scientific -80 freezer 3 days days ago. He fired it back up yesterday afternoon and its only at -51C. Wondering what is the average time for a newer cascade system to reach -80? I would have thought within about 8 hours.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by navyguy1 View Post
    Just had a professor shut down and defrost his Fisher Scientific -80 freezer 3 days days ago. He fired it back up yesterday afternoon and its only at -51C. Wondering what is the average time for a newer cascade system to reach -80? I would have thought within about 8 hours.

Thanks
    When we thawed ours I let it run for 24 before there allowed to refill.

You've got problems with that one.

Post Likes
    Swell. Not wanting to hear that. The freezer sat at a steady -65 for weeks and from my experience with the dozens of cascade systems I monitor this is usually due to oil logging. A good 48 hour defrost always resolved it.

Thanks for your input.

Post Likes
    Just checked it again. Its down to -57. Temperature is dropping but very slowly

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    When we thawed ours I let it run for 24 before there allowed to refill.

You've got problems with that one.
    Good news is that it suddenly plunged in temperature a few hours ago and its sitting at a nice pretty -81C. So happy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by navyguy1 View Post
    Good news is that it suddenly plunged in temperature a few hours ago and its sitting at a nice pretty -81C. So happy.
    Go to signature on the invoice and get out of there

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Go to signature on the invoice and get out of there
    No way in hell. If I don’t set up camp in front of that machine for at least 24 hours I’m begging for it to take a crap on me. I call it sucker bait. Played the game for too many years.

8. Likes pecmsg liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Don't be happy in till they start using again it should come down to temperature within 24 hours if not you got problems. Make sure they only put in haft of the product let the freezer go to setpoint of -80c then load the rest the product.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmaster View Post
    Don't be happy in till they start using again it should come down to temperature within 24 hours if not you got problems. Make sure they only put in haft of the product let the freezer go to setpoint of -80c then load the rest the product.
    Thanks checkmaster.
    They loaded it up on Monday and while doing so the temp spiked up to -50 and it took it a good 4-6 hours to drop back to -80. Seems like a long time for a newer freezer.
    I have an old Revco -80 freezer that is used as a back up and it drops to -80 within just a few hours and recovers very quickly whenever the door is opened for 5 to 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in