Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/C using semiconductor

Just read and interesting article about a possible new cooling unit. No freezy juice needed, just semiconductors and electric.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90481073...ly-damaging-ac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That basic tech has been around for a long time. They use it in coolers you plug into your car and other small stuff. I wonder how they are going to improve it? As it is now it’s not very efficient or very strong.

3. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/C using semiconductor

They got an award for using a product in a way it’s already being used and calling it new? Did they ever pull the wool over their eyes!

I don’t see how it would be better for the environment. They are taking an electrically efficient method of transferring heat and replacing it with the method of heat transfer that is the least efficient possible. People seem to forget that electricity for a large part is still made by burning coal. Just because they can’t see the pollution happening at the point of utilization doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. The same gripe goes for electric cars. They are not as environmentally friendly as people think unless the source of electricity was derived from an Environmentally friendly method. So in other words, It depends on where you live.

Slap enough green labels on it and preach its positive environmental qualities enough and tell people it’s “cast savings” then the public will run blindly towards it in masses. We already see that happen with our high efficient equipment. We’ve taken products that consumed more energy over their serviceable lifespan but were easily serviceable so their lifespan was extremely long and replaced them, in many cases with products that cost more to produce, have a greater environmental impact to produce, fail quicker, and can’t be repaired so must be thrown out and replaced. Cars are one example of this. Take an old VW bug and you could take the thing apart on the side of the road, disassemble the carb, replace the gaskets with cutouts made from a cereal box and have it back together again to drive yourself home. Now you have emission sensors, knock sensors, fuel injection, computers, screens, the list goes on.... parts of which can’t be fixed or cost significantly more to diagnose and repair.

A friend just disposed of their whole fridge because it had an bad circuit board that was going to cost more to repair than the fridge was worth... it wasn’t that old! but it was efficient so it’s good for the earth right?

I’ve fixed my parents deep freezer twice now. This energy efficient cost savings appliance would have cost them more in repair costs (if they had to pay for it) than what they would have saved in energy costs from an older or low efficiency type unit....

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt and in moderation. There is a point where we try to do too much good and it ends up hurting ourselves.

Ok, I’ll step off my soap box now. There are two sides to this argument and I do agree with some points on the other side as well but in effort to avoid making an already long post even longer I’ll stop here for now.

Getting back to the original topic.... look up Peltier plates. They are cheep to buy and you can make your own “award winning idea” for right in your very own home.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In refrigeration applications, thermoelectric junctions have about 1/4 the efficiency compared to conventional means (they offer around 10–15% efficiency of the ideal Carnot cycle refrigerator, compared with 40–60% achieved by conventional compression-cycle systems (reverse Rankine systems using compression/expansion).[11]) Due to this lower efficiency, thermoelectric cooling is generally only used in environments where the solid-state nature (no moving parts), low maintenance, compact size, and orientation insensitivity outweighs pure efficiency.

While lower than conventional means, efficiency can be good enough provided

temperature difference is kept as small as possible, and,
    the current is kept low, because the ratio of moved heat over waste heat (for same temperature on the hot and cool side) will be Q Q w a s t e = P R I {\displaystyle {\frac {Q}{Q_{waste}}}={\frac {P}{RI}}} {\displaystyle {\frac {Q}{Q_{waste}}}={\frac {P}{RI}}}.

However, since the low current also means low amount of moved heat, for all practical purpose coefficient of performance will be low.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peltier devices have been around forever and they’re horribly inefficient.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have been doing that with portable coolers for a long time now. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Power.../dp/B0083F8YZC

They just aren't very efficient.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I learn something everyday.

Feel like I’m listen to Paul Harvey getting the rest of the story

9. Likes beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Paul Harvey, have you heard of the miracle electric space heaters that he and the Amish people invented? They claim that they are 100% efficient.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Speaking of Paul Harvey, have you heard of the miracle electric space heaters that he and the Amish people invented? They claim that they are 100% efficient.
    😂

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    They are. 100% of the electricity put through the resistance wire is turned into heat........

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    They are. 100% of the electricity put through the resistance wire is turned into heat........

and the power plant producing that electric is 60 -75% efficient!

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More like 20-30%
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Efficiency aside, they still have a place.
    The first I saw one of these was in 1970 in a A/C class. The instructor had one 2" square. Cool on one side and hot on the other. He said similar uses to cool and heat atomic submarines.
    When I would go on trips I have a cooler that has a Peltier system. Works well and plugs in to the truck's power supply.
    I wondered if using the system would work to cool my motorcycle helmet.

Electricity would probably be more efficient if it was generated where it's used. Solar had a promising future until big bucks found a way to make money with it. I see no reason all those panels in fields shouldn't have been installed on homes.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast