Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furnace is wider than coil, is it OK?

Post Likes

Furnace is wider than coil, is it OK?

Our HVAC has stopped working due to water leakage to the pan. A technician came and said that I should replace the coil because the lennox furnace is 17in wide but coil is14in wide (picture attached). It is very expensive to replace it. My question is: is it OK to mismatch the dimensions of the two equipment a bit? Thank you so much in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Get a 2nd opinion. Snap us a pic of the model numbers and we can tell you if its a match.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chris95 View Post
    Our HVAC has stopped working due to water leakage to the pan. A technician came and said that I should replace the coil because the lennox furnace is 17in wide but coil is14in wide (picture attached). It is very expensive to replace it. My question is: is it OK to mismatch the dimensions of the two equipment a bit? Thank you so much in advance.
    that's definitely a new level of BS!
    How long has this unit been in operation? Is this the installing contractor?

The physical size doesn't matter, Model #'s matter and having the knowledge. I like the way access to the evaporator is from the back!
    The duct work is typical cookie cutter crap also.

Get a different contractor.

Post Likes
    I like to see a metal transition between the two parts to make the airflow better through the coil. It might be mentioned in the install manual.

5. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH, Mr Bill, chris95 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks! Both are Lennox, furnace SN: ML195UH Coil SN:CH33-31A-2F-3

Post Likes
    Thanks! Both are Lennox, furnace SN: ML195UH Coil SN:CH33-31A-2F-3
    If someone doesn't beat me to it I will check the match when I get back to my computer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    that's definitely a new level of BS!
    How long has this unit been in operation? Is this the installing contractor?

The physical size doesn't matter, Model #'s matter and having the knowledge. I like the way access to the evaporator is from the back!
    The duct work is typical cookie cutter crap also.

Get a different contractor.
    Thank you! The unit is 3-year old, the technician was a new local contractor. Both the furnace and coil are Lennox product, furnace SN: ML195UH Coil SN:CH33-31A-2F-3

Post Likes
    Thank you! The unit is 3-year old, the technician was a new local contractor. Both the furnace and coil are Lennox product, furnace SN: ML195UH Coil SN:CH33-31A-2F-3
    If you paid by Credit card or check cancel them. Let the contractor explain there comments!

10. Likes chris95 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Pics of data tags will be usefull. As stated a transition between the ahu and evap coil would help.

I suggest finding another company as water leaks are not a reason to suggest hvac replacement.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

12. Likes chris95 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    First time I've seen cinder blocks used in that application.

14. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CEAS-AC-TECH View Post
    Pics of data tags will be usefull. As stated a transition between the ahu and evap coil would help.

I suggest finding another company as water leaks are not a reason to suggest hvac replacement.

Especially after 3 years of operation!

16. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Especially after 3 years of operation!
    Agreed Bro. Dudes like that make the rest of us look real good

18. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Believe you also need the model number of the OD unit to tell if your system is matched. Typically the auxiliary drain plan is located completely under the coil, from this angel yours looks to be a tad short.

The number of the furnace is incomplete as you need the BTU rating, basically the complete model numbers and brand of the three pieces would be great.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 04-14-2020 at 05:45 PM.

20. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ksefan View Post
    I like to see a metal transition between the two parts to make the airflow better through the coil. It might be mentioned in the install manual.
    I agree............. Name:  thumbs up.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  24.6 KB
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

22. Likes BaldLoonie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    the metal drain pan under the cinder blocks doesnt appear to even be big enough to catch water should the coil leak, a transition between furnace and coil is a must according to most mnf. install instructions

24. Likes chris95 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did not see a ML195 as a match, seen plenty of ML180 thou and other model numbers. Possibly your system is a match only to the indoor coil to outdoor unit? Possibly your 3+ years old unit was a match at one time to the ML195? Presently the AHRI web-site does not list your system as active, discontinued model or production stopped either.

26. Likes chris95 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Looks like the coil and furnace match. Need to see a model plate of the outdoor unit.

28. Likes chris95 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Did not see a ML195 as a match, seen plenty of ML180 thou and other model numbers. Possibly your system is a match only to the indoor coil to outdoor unit? Possibly your 3+ years old unit was a match at one time to the ML195? Presently the AHRI web-site does not list your system as active, discontinued model or production stopped either.
    Thanks, I am new to this. The complete furnace M/N: 195UH070XP36B-58, coil:CH33-31A-2F-3, outside AC unit:14ACXS030-230A22. All Lennox brand. Could you please let me know whether they are matched?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Looks like the coil and furnace match. Need to see a model plate of the outdoor unit.
    Thank you for checking. The complete furnace M/N: 195UH070XP36B-58, coil: CH33-31A-2F-3, outside AC unit:14ACXS030-230A22. All Lennox brand. Could you please let me know whether they are matched?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by isuredo View Post
    the metal drain pan under the cinder blocks doesnt appear to even be big enough to catch water should the coil leak, a transition between furnace and coil is a must according to most mnf. install instructions
    All units are Lennox, is it bad if there was no transition? If I add one, how much it will cost roughly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in