Thread: RTU has been this way when installed 10 Years ago.

Post Likes

RTU has been this way when installed 10 Years ago.

many complaints for years existed with cooling and heating...no mechanic or tech from the last 3 HVAC companies found anything wrong,,,Really??? I found the issue in less than 2 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Likes AcGolfer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Left the shipping brackets on, rookie mistake.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Post Likes
    that and the flex gas line is not allowed in my area CCSST is but we still do hard pipe on roof tops

Post Likes
    I agree with the stainless flex, technically it still is unjacketed CSST...But the inspector allowed it when installed. I installed many many miles of it when I did residential with no leaks ever, lol

Post Likes
    For those who don’t see the problem, 60% of the air flow is dumping out the RTU from under it. It’s not sealed to the roof curb duct. The SA is also mixing with the RA. All the Black dirt you see around it outside and the clean areas is the airflow turbulence for 10 years...

Post Likes
    Is it just not sitting on the curb adapter all of the way? Did you try drop kicking it and/or doing a few well placed shoulder plants, or maybe use a 2x4 to try to pry it over a bit? That might be all it needs.

I can see how others may have missed that since it isn't something you normally look for. Good catch!
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

8. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes, definitely not sitting on the curb adapter and gasket. Those brackets when New has pine planks over them so when a forklift is used the bottom doesn’t get damaged. There is a label there when new clearly reads remove shipping brackets before installation. Doh! Lol. The ones by the condenser on the side don’t get removed because they are the alignment brackets.
    I just simply picked up the RTU with my left hand and yanked them off with my right. Your only picking up 1/2 the weight of 1,600 lbs a half inch higher ...for about 10 seconds ... either that or.........

Install the sky hook at both corners for safety, once secured, Use a 3/8 socket on a cordless impact and remove the 2 screws in each slowly, the inside angle of the brackets with push against the curb and they slide out on their own...wallah! Lol Cut the safety strings to release the sky hook and your done!

Post Likes
    Someone throttling the gas valve ?

Post Likes
    10 percent fresh air....

Post Likes
    The gas valve handles get bent over time, trip hazards apparently..in certain areas if a unit smoke detector triggers, the fire department will shut off the gas valve. We are never informed they do it. Many service calls come in because of it in the heating season...I have a few Building managers check for it before I run the call. It builds trust and respect over time..They don’t like being charged to come out over something that simple..

I did have on one occasion, the gas company shut off the main gas supply to the building affecting 32 RTUs because the meter portion had a leak and the forgot to return. I didn’t get the call till 4 days later on a Friday. EZ money to sit around and hear the General Managers screaming at the gas company for having a Building now sitting at 53 degrees, lol...it was quite warm a few days prior until overnight temps dropped to 29 degrees.
    The gas company had a guy show up in 2 hours replacing the meter. I spent 3 hours purging all the gas pipe and power resetting the RTUs on the roof because all the units was on a heating lockout..lol

13. Dislikes jack david disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is that even a gas valve ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by VTP99; 04-12-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Post Likes
    It's ball valve 1/2 turn type not sure if its approved for this use but have seen it done

Post Likes
    You meant quarter-turn right ?