Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scroll compressor

Hi,

I'm working on a water cooled AC system. When I showed up the fan was running but the compressor was not operational even though it was calling.
    No board to throw a code.
    Reset the unit and the compressor turned on for a split second and then shuts off (R22). My head pressure goes up quick but it's hard to tell exactly where it goes as they're digital gauges (fieldpiece) and then compressor shuts off so fast. I'm seeing around (280-300).
    wondering if anyone has ran into an issue where this has happened. The high limit I believe is set for 450 so I don't think it's going off on this (again hard to tell with the digital gauge).

It was the end of the day and had to get out of there so I got some more troubleshooting to do tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair.C View Post
    Hi,

I'm working on a water cooled AC system. When I showed up the fan was running but the compressor was not operational even though it was calling.
    No board to throw a code.
    Reset the unit and the compressor turned on for a split second and then shuts off (R22). My head pressure goes up quick but it's hard to tell exactly where it goes as they're digital gauges (fieldpiece) and then compressor shuts off so fast. I'm seeing around (280-300).
    wondering if anyone has ran into an issue where this has happened. The high limit I believe is set for 450 so I don't think it's going off on this (again hard to tell with the digital gauge).

It was the end of the day and had to get out of there so I got some more troubleshooting to do tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks
    Break out the volt meter!

3. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I checked the voltage up to the contactor and it all looked good. but was unable to check it at the compressor as I didn't have my clip on leads handy. Wasn't able to turn on and hold the leads on at the same time

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell us what good looks like.

What did you read at the safeties?

What was your low side doing when your high side went up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    210-211 across all 3 phases at power coming into the contactor

Checked voltage at the compressor on start up (again the compressor only runs for a split second) and my max on all 3 legs was 208.

The Suction pressure pressure comes down as the head pressure goes up. However the head pressure takes a while to equalize, the suction pressure comes back to standing pressure right away. The head pressure continues to build if cycled. Ex( turn. Unit on, head pressure climbs to 250 (standing pressure this morning was 150 on high side and 105 on low) Wait 30 seconds head pressure has come down about 20-psi. Turn unit back on and head pressure climbs to 300)

Starting amps are 25-27 on each leg.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the application ?
    You stated it's water cooled yet the fan runs.
    Are you referring to the blower ?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a discharge valve that got closed?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey sorry I wasn't more clear on that. Water cooled condenser. And yes I was referring to the blower motor.

No discharge valve on it.

*Update*

After suspecting a restricted. I adjusted the txv wide open. Started it up. Same problem.
    Opened the high side and low side ports on my gauges slowly and started it up again. It RAN! Closed my gauge ports and adjusted my regulating valve to 100F condensing and adjusted the txv back to approximately where it was. Going to set my SH and SC now and see what happens.

Not sure if maybe there was just a blockage in the txv? Also going to check my temp drop across the drier.

What do you guys think?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you open the x-valve? If it was closed there would be no heat absorbed to raise the head pressure correct?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turned it counter clockwise all the way to allow more refrigerant to flow through the valve as there was a suspected restriction.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair.C View Post
    I turned it counter clockwise all the way to allow more refrigerant to flow through the valve as there was a suspected restriction.
    It doesn't work like that. If you close the high side valve does the unit trip on High Head?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No high side valve on the unit

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK