Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Sounds like you have two main issues. Combustion air and the fresh air in the return, which is normal in extra air tight homes. At least from I have read in the past. Some of that may have changed due to certain chemicals not being used like they used to be.

For the fresh air in the return, what you are looking for is an HRV, Heat Recovery Ventilator. Works both ways, meaning summer and winter, to cool or heat the incoming air. Google it. There are also some that 'transfer' humidity as well, or at least there used to be. Bone up on it.

Regarding the combustion air, can you have outside air vents installed for the attic? Meaning, where is the insulation? Will hot or cold air be drawn into the attic on a ceiling that is not insulated?

Those are the two areas I would recommend you be sure that second opinion contractor focus on. Anything else they come up with would be gravy on top.
    That should be an ERV - Energy Recovery Ventilator. it works on both heat and humidity the HRV does not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    x2
    A picture is worth a thousand words...so they tell me

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words...so they tell me
    Especially if you're internet dating. Name:  Head.gif
Views: 280
Size:  2.4 KB
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

4. Likes Bazooka Joey liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don't do or know all the resi stuff. But hey, at least I was in the ballpark, LOL.

Just trying to give the OP enough info to use the Googler. So he/she can get the problems solved via a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    That should be an ERV - Energy Recovery Ventilator. it works on both heat and humidity the HRV does not.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Especially if you're internet dating. Name:  Head.gif
Views: 280
Size:  2.4 KB
    I used to do online dating. The picture taken from above that showed only from the chest up? Be very afraid.

Post Likes

Pictures

Hope this works
    1st - 3 outside vents, each going to a 3 or 4 inch flex
    flex duct
    2nd - the 3 small ducts have been joined to this larger flex
    duct - on its way to
    3rd - going through the electric damper right into the
    return air plenum
    4th - better shot of the automatic electric damper

Sorry the pictures are so large
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    Looks like crap. Dont know where to begin.

Post Likes
    Coming into the return is insane! the only up side is it only draws in what the house leaks!
    Nice that they installed everything then spray foamed!
    That flex looks like crap.

Where are the pics of the venting?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Coming into the return is insane! the only up side is it only draws in what the house leaks!
    I would want it into the return, outside air, so that it is filtered and conditioned. This has been done quite extensively since houses got tighter.
    You need make up air for any fuel burning appliance(furnace, stove, water heater, etc) that is not direct vent, dryer, exhaust fans, home health and occupant health.

HRV/ERV depends on the climate, main conditioning application(heat or cool).

I did not see a photo of the venting, but even if it is b-vent, it requires a minimum of 1" clearance to combustibles!!! So if it is foamed, it is wrong. How did it pass inspection, or was there any?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    How did it pass inspection, or was there any?
    Dis.

How did a "good" general not catch that his sub sucks at his only job. How did an inspector going out to a "tight" custom build not catch this.

Op, you needs to hire a very good third party HVAC contractor to do a full inspection and give recommendations, then take it to the builder. Don't just go straight to the builder or sub as they will try to BS and do the bare minimum. Make them reimburse you for the cost of the third party as well.
    -"There always seems to be enough money to do it right the second time"

Post Likes
    The top ( 1st ) picture is the 'venting' - Those 3 squares behind the flood light fixture are the vents/ Each one was attached to what looked like bathroom exhaust fan flex pipe ( 'bout 3" or 4" dia ) and then all 3 of those were manifolded ( foil tape ! ) into a
    larger ( 8" or 10 " ) flex duct running diagonally in pic 2 and going to the damper / air handler you see in pic 3 and 4.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdradams View Post
    The top ( 1st ) picture is the 'venting' - Those 3 squares behind the flood light fixture are the vents/ Each one was attached to what looked like bathroom exhaust fan flex pipe ( 'bout 3" or 4" dia ) and then all 3 of those were manifolded ( foil tape ! ) into a
    larger ( 8" or 10 " ) flex duct running diagonally in pic 2 and going to the damper / air handler you see in pic 3 and 4.
    It is not venting, it is ventilation air/fresh air/combustion air/make up air.

You said the furnace exhaust/flue pipe, which is metal, was spray foamed and touching. From what I can tell, no photo of that, correct?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes

vent ( flue ) pic

Here's a picture of the vent ( flue ) from the air handler staright up through the
    foam !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No clearance between the foam and pipe !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast