+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winding resistances jumping

Post Likes

Winding resistances jumping

Hey it’s ya favorite HVAC noob here.

So I got a single phase scroll compressor from the job today. (It’s scrap, we replaced with a new one)

Instead of throwing it away I brought it home because I’m curious. So when I set the multimeter to ohms and touch any two combinations from common, start, or run the numbers jump. I thought I wasn’t getting a good connection so I attached alligator clips from my leads to the terminals and the same thing. Any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes they do Jump under certain conditions. Scrape the pine or clean with emery cloth. Alligator clips wiggled give a better reading with a standard OHM meter.

Get a Mega Ohm and play with that on old units.

3. Likes Sabr7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Question, is the ohms only jumping at first and then go to OL? Constantly jump? How about from terminals to casing of compressor?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton View Post
    Question, is the ohms only jumping at first and then go to OL? Constantly jump? How about from terminals to casing of compressor?
    It jumps normally from some high number to a lower number. I understand that’s because of the inrush of voltage the meter sends out. So after it settles from that it goes to another number and continues to drop and then back up to a different number.

It never goes to OL. It constantly jumps, yes. From terminals to casing is OL. (I scratched away through the paint to make sure I’m on the metal of the casing)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Yes they do Jump under certain conditions. Scrape the pine or clean with emery cloth. Alligator clips wiggled give a better reading with a standard OHM meter.

Get a Mega Ohm and play with that on old units.
    Any recommendations on a megger?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabr7 View Post
    Any recommendations on a megger?

How much Money do you have?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton View Post
    Too ground should be ZERO always!

Post Likes
    A little read on Motors:
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Likes Sabr7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    How much Money do you have?
    $300-500. Sounds like you’re gonna say a fluke..

Post Likes

Well let me try this again..

Post Likes

Well let me try this again..

Don't worry about megging until you begin to get to compressors or motors that cost 3-5k or more. Not worth it. Basic ohm is all you need.

Post Likes
    I'll test with my Fluke...………….If they want more I'll call an independent and take a % of there bill to confirm!

Post Likes

So I got a single phase scroll compressor from the job today. (It’s scrap, we replaced with a new one)

Instead of throwing it away I brought it home because I’m curious. So when I set the multimeter to ohms and touch any two combinations from common, start, or run the numbers jump. I thought I wasn’t getting a good connection so I attached alligator clips from my leads to the terminals and the same thing. Any insight?

when you cranked up the new compressor was there any issues ? or did the replacing go smooth

Post Likes

My first inclination is the meter is either cheap, low battery, or set on the incorrect sensitivity level. My second inclination is who cares? The compressor is good or it's bad. Do you need to know anything more than that? It's not like you're going to re-wind the motor. Resistance is a great diagnostic tool, but you either have it or you don't. If the numbers don't add up then they don't add up. Your $200 Fluke meter isn't going to tell you anymore than good or bad and it doesn't have to. Let's face it. We don't get called out when things are working properly. Were you to megg an operating compressor and told the owner the tolerances are off...but the unit is still cooling, are they going to take your word and replace the compressor? My folks have a unit that eats capacitors annually. I talk to their hvac guy on the phone every spring. He says the megger says the compressor is bad. I tell him every year to replace the capacitors and leave it go. This is probably going on 8 years now.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    when you cranked up the new compressor was there any issues ? or did the replacing go smooth
    No issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    My first inclination is the meter is either cheap, low battery, or set on the incorrect sensitivity level. My second inclination is who cares? The compressor is good or it's bad. Do you need to know anything more than that? It's not like you're going to re-wind the motor. Resistance is a great diagnostic tool, but you either have it or you don't. If the numbers don't add up then they don't add up. Your $200 Fluke meter isn't going to tell you anymore than good or bad and it doesn't have to. Let's face it. We don't get called out when things are working properly. Were you to megg an operating compressor and told the owner the tolerances are off...but the unit is still cooling, are they going to take your word and replace the compressor? My folks have a unit that eats capacitors annually. I talk to their hvac guy on the phone every spring. He says the megger says the compressor is bad. I tell him every year to replace the capacitors and leave it go. This is probably going on 8 years now.
    Changed the batteries and the numbers are holding steady now...

I’m doing this for personal growth and understanding. Ive learned a lot from this thread already.

Post Likes
    Changed the batteries and the numbers are holding steady now...

I’m doing this for personal growth and understanding. Ive learned a lot from this thread already.

I was going to suggest that it may have been the meter auto ranging but it sounds like you found the solution.

Thanks for posting the solution that you found!

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

20. Likes Sabr7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    No issues with new compressor

well then Id say the old compressor is definitely shot

maybe the pump went bad , but the electric motor is ok

Post Likes
    Zero ohms would mean he is shorted to ground. With a typical multimeter he would want OL (no continuity). If he gets a megger he will need to learn how to use it. Not sure what good a megger is for residential work. If I was him I would invest in a good HVAC multi meter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Push It View Post
    Zero ohms would mean he is shorted to ground. With a typical multimeter he would want OL (no continuity). If he gets a megger he will need to learn how to use it. Not sure what good a megger is for residential work. If I was him I would invest in a good HVAC multi meter.
    Correct, OPEN or OL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in