Post Likes

JCI NCM and MIG's

I was tasked with a survey of a large site that has 9 NCM's, with approximatly 600 N2 controllers, and 10 MIG's. I have very limited experience with this architecture and have a few uneducated questions. I believe PMI was the software tool to access the NCM programming? Is that correct,and is it still around? If that is the tool wasn't the logic written in JC basic or GPL? I recall years ago replacing one that someone had provided me the print form of the code for replication not sure how that was generated? Regarding the MIG my understanding is these were protocol converters from some third party protocol to N2. Like today it appeared from the mapped points one was integrating a trane chiller. Not sure how these are accessed? VT100 via the serial port? Would there be a config file you could get from these for the point addresses? Any input would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    PMI is the workstation software that allows you to operate and configure the system. Programming is done through GPL. GPL may or may not be installed on the PC running PMI, although if it’s the main access point for the system, then it probably is.

Welcome to the best of the early 1990s BAS technology. Keep that in mind as you slog through it.

Post Likes
    PMI is used to access the system
    The programming is done either by GPL or JC basic which is included with PMI, but you had to pay extra for that... So depending on the license, your PMI might or might not include GPL and / or JCBasic.

MIG (Metays Intergrator) is exactly what you say it is, a protocol converter, which would make the 3rd party device show up as an N2 device. Access to them varies depending on manufacturer. The literature of the MIG would typically provide a points list, which could be used to map the points

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input guys. I was in highschool when this system was put in LOL! For it's time I'm sure it was state of the art.

Post Likes
    we had around 150 NCMs at one point lol - all have gone by the wayside over last 20 years - either to plc, other bms or swap ncm to Jace (jci /w n2) and kept n2 asc's/dx's

good times!