+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leak Detector Frustration

Post Likes

Leak Detector Frustration

Ugh. I just tried to use my SLR8 leak detector and couldn’t find anything on a small R22 package unit. Getting a bit suspicious I checked it’s efficacy on a hose fitting I loosened. I could hear the gas coming out but the detector barely responded. It’s less than a year old so it shouldn’t need a new sensor. It’s not the first SLR8 I’ve had lose ability after a year or so. Anyone have a suggestion for another more reliable detector? I’m going to get a new sensor for this one but I want another one to use when this one doesn’t pick up a leak.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    My only suggestion is change the filter more frequently and carry big blue.

Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    SLR8 is not the best detector for R22. SLR8 is the cat's meow for r410a. Do a you tube search for Nathan's HVAC
    Doug

4. Likes R600a, vin lashon, m singer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    My only suggestion is change the filter more frequently and carry big blue.

Yeah, I actually took off the filter and then the tubing to rule out a restriction. Big blue is nice, but it sometimes sets off the detector so I try to use it only after I’ve already “sniffed” for leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Yeah, I actually took off the filter and then the tubing to rule out a restriction. Big blue is nice, but it sometimes sets off the detector so I try to use it only after I’ve already “sniffed” for leaks

I was meaning change the filter more frequently to extend the life of the sensor.
    And carry big blue for when you are leak checking r22 or if it fails on 410a.
    I had one the other day that leaks 2 lb of r410a every few years and I couldn't find it with the srl8 because I didn't have time to let the coil dry completely so I just used big blue and I found it right away. I love that stuff.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    SLR8 is not the best detector for R22. SLR8 is the cat's meow for r410a. Do a you tube search for Nathan's HVAC
    Ok, I’ll do that. Thanks.

Post Likes
    I was meaning change the filter more frequently to extend the life of the sensor.
    And carry big blue for when you are leak checking r22 or if it fails on 410a.
    I had one the other day that leaks 2 lb of r410a every few years and I couldn't find it with the srl8 because I didn't have time to let the coil dry completely so I just used big blue and I found it right away. I love that stuff.

Nice. I’d say ~75% of the indoor coil leaks I find are in the fin pack and it would take too much big blue to soak the whole thing but I do squirt the joints after I use the sniffer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Nice. I’d say ~75% of the indoor coil leaks I find are in the fin pack and it would take too much big blue to soak the whole thing but I do squirt the joints after I use the sniffer.

Exactly. We don't repair leaks that are actually in the coil. So often I use the method from the leak detection manual where you disconnect the drain on a dry coil and put the probe in the drain for 10 minutes and if it doesn't trigger then it isn't the coil. If it is the coil then I open it up an grab the big blue to check the spots that I could repair.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    That brang up some good videos. I like the H10 vs srl8 one. It was interesting. I may have to buy an inficon for r22.

Post Likes
    Another thing I have done is to run a heat pump in heat.. The pressure is higher.
    Doug

Post Likes
    That brang up some good videos. I like the H10 vs srl8 one. It was interesting. I may have to buy an inficon for r22.

Oh my. My spelling.

Post Likes
    get a tekmate for r22- and the srl8 for 410a. Yes its a pain. I got an h10 instead of the srl8 because I have a cps leak "wanna be" seeker---it finds NOTHING, tekmate- perfect for r22, dtek- perfect for r22, 134A, and ok for 410a, bacharach (ultrasonic)--good for coil leaks and flare leaks, and the h10 pro which is what I use 90% of the time- the other 10% is divided among the others (not the cps). that is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever used.

Post Likes
    get a tekmate for r22- and the srl8 for 410a. Yes its a pain. I got an h10 instead of the srl8 because I have a cps leak "wanna be" seeker---it finds NOTHING and was tired of multiple leak checkers for different situations. I also have tekmate- perfect for r22, dtek- perfect for r22, 134A, and ok for 410a, bacharach (ultrasonic)--good for coil leaks and flare leaks, and the h10 pro which is what I use 90% of the time- the other 10% is divided among the others (not the cps). that is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever used.

My tekmate was 40$ at pawn shop- new. They said "we don't think it works"---and it was because the sensor was still in the sealed package---hahahaha. Loved it.

Check pawnshops. There is a jb 5000 prowler at one here for 40$. I just dont need it or I would buy it. They are supposed to be pretty good.

I might add- no one beats inficon for customer service. They will take care of any issue- quickly and without questions. That alone is why I will always buy their product if it is what I need vs competitor products.

15. Likes m singer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsaz100 View Post
    get a tekmate for r22- and the srl8 for 410a. Yes its a pain. I got an h10 instead of the srl8 because I have a cps leak "wanna be" seeker---it finds NOTHING, tekmate- perfect for r22, dtek- perfect for r22, 134A, and ok for 410a, bacharach (ultrasonic)--good for coil leaks and flare leaks, and the h10 pro which is what I use 90% of the time- the other 10% is divided among the others (not the cps). that is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever used.
    Thanks. I’ve heard some good things about the tekmate

Post Likes
    Just another random gripe: don’t look for a leak after you’ve washed the outdoor coil with renewz. Found out the hard way awhile back on a maintenance.

I usually wash the coil first thing so it has a chance to dry and I can check the charge with a known clean coil. I found the system low and got approval for leak search. Started indoors and sure enough, fin pack leak.

Checked lineset and when I pulled the top to check the coil and tubing, I couldn’t even get the detector inside the cabinet before it started screaming. With some experimenting, some head scratching and some wasted time i figured out it was the cleaner residue on the bottom of the pan. Had to wash it a few more times with the hose and remove all debris before I could check it.

Post Likes
    D-Tec Select. Best detector I’ve ever used. If it doesn’t beep, there is no leak.

The only other detector I’d consider is the H-10.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    The inficon i tried recently did good with the h10 reference bottle. Not near as good as the h10 though in practice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    D-Tec Select. Best detector I’ve ever used. If it doesn’t beep, there is no leak.

The only other detector I’d consider is the H-10.
    Select is horrible. H10pro is great for 22 and ok for 410a.
    Slr8 is great for 410a and horrible on 22.
    The select barely picks up anything compared to those 2

Post Likes
    JB prowler 5000, for the win..

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    I have an older H10 (not PRO) I use for R22... seems to be more sensitive to 22 than the newer PRO...

For 410... use the H10 PRO... seems to wok better on 410.

Yeah, the H10's are expensive... however they just work!

Anyone have one of the old H10 plug in models... it is really sensitive to 22... however has to be plugged in and is kinda finicky to work with... got mine years ago from another contractor...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in