Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    786
    Post Likes

    Leak Detector Frustration

    Ugh. I just tried to use my SLR8 leak detector and couldn’t find anything on a small R22 package unit. Getting a bit suspicious I checked it’s efficacy on a hose fitting I loosened. I could hear the gas coming out but the detector barely responded. It’s less than a year old so it shouldn’t need a new sensor. It’s not the first SLR8 I’ve had lose ability after a year or so. Anyone have a suggestion for another more reliable detector? I’m going to get a new sensor for this one but I want another one to use when this one doesn’t pick up a leak.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    1,284
    Post Likes
    My only suggestion is change the filter more frequently and carry big blue.

    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    3,034
    Post Likes
    SLR8 is not the best detector for R22. SLR8 is the cat's meow for r410a. Do a you tube search for Nathan's HVAC
    Doug

  4. Likes R600a, vin lashon, m singer liked this post.
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    786
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    My only suggestion is change the filter more frequently and carry big blue.

    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I actually took off the filter and then the tubing to rule out a restriction. Big blue is nice, but it sometimes sets off the detector so I try to use it only after I’ve already “sniffed” for leaks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    1,284
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Yeah, I actually took off the filter and then the tubing to rule out a restriction. Big blue is nice, but it sometimes sets off the detector so I try to use it only after I’ve already “sniffed” for leaks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was meaning change the filter more frequently to extend the life of the sensor.
    And carry big blue for when you are leak checking r22 or if it fails on 410a.
    I had one the other day that leaks 2 lb of r410a every few years and I couldn't find it with the srl8 because I didn't have time to let the coil dry completely so I just used big blue and I found it right away. I love that stuff.


    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    786
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    SLR8 is not the best detector for R22. SLR8 is the cat's meow for r410a. Do a you tube search for Nathan's HVAC
    Ok, I’ll do that. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    786
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I was meaning change the filter more frequently to extend the life of the sensor.
    And carry big blue for when you are leak checking r22 or if it fails on 410a.
    I had one the other day that leaks 2 lb of r410a every few years and I couldn't find it with the srl8 because I didn't have time to let the coil dry completely so I just used big blue and I found it right away. I love that stuff.


    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk
    Nice. I’d say ~75% of the indoor coil leaks I find are in the fin pack and it would take too much big blue to soak the whole thing but I do squirt the joints after I use the sniffer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    1,284
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Nice. I’d say ~75% of the indoor coil leaks I find are in the fin pack and it would take too much big blue to soak the whole thing but I do squirt the joints after I use the sniffer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. We don't repair leaks that are actually in the coil. So often I use the method from the leak detection manual where you disconnect the drain on a dry coil and put the probe in the drain for 10 minutes and if it doesn't trigger then it isn't the coil. If it is the coil then I open it up an grab the big blue to check the spots that I could repair.

    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    1,284
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    SLR8 is not the best detector for R22. SLR8 is the cat's meow for r410a. Do a you tube search for Nathan's HVAC
    That brang up some good videos. I like the H10 vs srl8 one. It was interesting. I may have to buy an inficon for r22.

    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    3,034
    Post Likes
    Another thing I have done is to run a heat pump in heat.. The pressure is higher.
    Doug

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    1,284
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    That brang up some good videos. I like the H10 vs srl8 one. It was interesting. I may have to buy an inficon for r22.

    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk
    Oh my. My spelling.

    Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    49
    Post Likes
    get a tekmate for r22- and the srl8 for 410a. Yes its a pain. I got an h10 instead of the srl8 because I have a cps leak "wanna be" seeker---it finds NOTHING, tekmate- perfect for r22, dtek- perfect for r22, 134A, and ok for 410a, bacharach (ultrasonic)--good for coil leaks and flare leaks, and the h10 pro which is what I use 90% of the time- the other 10% is divided among the others (not the cps). that is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever used.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    49
    Post Likes
    get a tekmate for r22- and the srl8 for 410a. Yes its a pain. I got an h10 instead of the srl8 because I have a cps leak "wanna be" seeker---it finds NOTHING and was tired of multiple leak checkers for different situations. I also have tekmate- perfect for r22, dtek- perfect for r22, 134A, and ok for 410a, bacharach (ultrasonic)--good for coil leaks and flare leaks, and the h10 pro which is what I use 90% of the time- the other 10% is divided among the others (not the cps). that is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever used.

    My tekmate was 40$ at pawn shop- new. They said "we don't think it works"---and it was because the sensor was still in the sealed package---hahahaha. Loved it.

    Check pawnshops. There is a jb 5000 prowler at one here for 40$. I just dont need it or I would buy it. They are supposed to be pretty good.

    I might add- no one beats inficon for customer service. They will take care of any issue- quickly and without questions. That alone is why I will always buy their product if it is what I need vs competitor products.

  15. Likes m singer liked this post.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR