Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Leak Detector Frustration

Ugh. I just tried to use my SLR8 leak detector and couldn’t find anything on a small R22 package unit. Getting a bit suspicious I checked it’s efficacy on a hose fitting I loosened. I could hear the gas coming out but the detector barely responded. It’s less than a year old so it shouldn’t need a new sensor. It’s not the first SLR8 I’ve had lose ability after a year or so. Anyone have a suggestion for another more reliable detector? I’m going to get a new sensor for this one but I want another one to use when this one doesn’t pick up a leak.

Post Likes
    My only suggestion is change the filter more frequently and carry big blue.

Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    SLR8 is not the best detector for R22. SLR8 is the cat's meow for r410a. Do a you tube search for Nathan's HVAC
    Doug

4. Likes R600a, vin lashon, m singer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    My only suggestion is change the filter more frequently and carry big blue.

Yeah, I actually took off the filter and then the tubing to rule out a restriction. Big blue is nice, but it sometimes sets off the detector so I try to use it only after I’ve already “sniffed” for leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Yeah, I actually took off the filter and then the tubing to rule out a restriction. Big blue is nice, but it sometimes sets off the detector so I try to use it only after I’ve already “sniffed” for leaks

I was meaning change the filter more frequently to extend the life of the sensor.
    And carry big blue for when you are leak checking r22 or if it fails on 410a.
    I had one the other day that leaks 2 lb of r410a every few years and I couldn't find it with the srl8 because I didn't have time to let the coil dry completely so I just used big blue and I found it right away. I love that stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    SLR8 is not the best detector for R22. SLR8 is the cat's meow for r410a. Do a you tube search for Nathan's HVAC
    Ok, I’ll do that. Thanks.

Post Likes
    I was meaning change the filter more frequently to extend the life of the sensor.
    And carry big blue for when you are leak checking r22 or if it fails on 410a.
    I had one the other day that leaks 2 lb of r410a every few years and I couldn't find it with the srl8 because I didn't have time to let the coil dry completely so I just used big blue and I found it right away. I love that stuff.

Nice. I’d say ~75% of the indoor coil leaks I find are in the fin pack and it would take too much big blue to soak the whole thing but I do squirt the joints after I use the sniffer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Nice. I’d say ~75% of the indoor coil leaks I find are in the fin pack and it would take too much big blue to soak the whole thing but I do squirt the joints after I use the sniffer.

Exactly. We don't repair leaks that are actually in the coil. So often I use the method from the leak detection manual where you disconnect the drain on a dry coil and put the probe in the drain for 10 minutes and if it doesn't trigger then it isn't the coil. If it is the coil then I open it up an grab the big blue to check the spots that I could repair.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    That brang up some good videos. I like the H10 vs srl8 one. It was interesting. I may have to buy an inficon for r22.

Post Likes
    Another thing I have done is to run a heat pump in heat.. The pressure is higher.
    Doug

Post Likes
    That brang up some good videos. I like the H10 vs srl8 one. It was interesting. I may have to buy an inficon for r22.

Oh my. My spelling.

Post Likes
    get a tekmate for r22- and the srl8 for 410a. Yes its a pain. I got an h10 instead of the srl8 because I have a cps leak "wanna be" seeker---it finds NOTHING, tekmate- perfect for r22, dtek- perfect for r22, 134A, and ok for 410a, bacharach (ultrasonic)--good for coil leaks and flare leaks, and the h10 pro which is what I use 90% of the time- the other 10% is divided among the others (not the cps). that is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever used.

Post Likes
    get a tekmate for r22- and the srl8 for 410a. Yes its a pain. I got an h10 instead of the srl8 because I have a cps leak "wanna be" seeker---it finds NOTHING and was tired of multiple leak checkers for different situations. I also have tekmate- perfect for r22, dtek- perfect for r22, 134A, and ok for 410a, bacharach (ultrasonic)--good for coil leaks and flare leaks, and the h10 pro which is what I use 90% of the time- the other 10% is divided among the others (not the cps). that is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever used.

My tekmate was 40$ at pawn shop- new. They said "we don't think it works"---and it was because the sensor was still in the sealed package---hahahaha. Loved it.

Check pawnshops. There is a jb 5000 prowler at one here for 40$. I just dont need it or I would buy it. They are supposed to be pretty good.

I might add- no one beats inficon for customer service. They will take care of any issue- quickly and without questions. That alone is why I will always buy their product if it is what I need vs competitor products.

15. Likes m singer liked this post.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast