Post Likes

COVID high risk home - need help Furnace

Hi all,

Bit of a true DIY here however I work as an electrical engineer in the semiconductor industry and I have a good understanding of the "dangerous" electrical side of HVAC. I would normally call a technician however with multiple high risk individuals in my home with Corona virus I am trying to repair myself.

This is the situation: The furnace turns on and the inducer motor runs. The thermostat is set to heat and calling for heat however the igniter does not begin to glow and the gas valve does not click on. My initial first thought was to replace the igniter - I did this with no results. I ran a mutlimeter on the wiring leading to the gas valve and it does seem to be calling to switch on leading me to believe it's the electronic gas valve however as I said the igniter is also not glowing either. With that I worried about the circuit board or perhaps even my thermostat being faulty. I troubleshoot that by turning on the AC. The AC works - thermostat calls for air and the system kicks on. This leads me to believe it is not the circuit board.
    This is where I am not stumped. What triggers the igniter and gas valve to turn on? Is it the electronic gas valve itself?
    Thank you everyone for the help! It's cold in Michigan...but we would rather be cold than risk Corona virus at this point.

Mike

Post Likes
    I’m sorry, but this site doesn’t allow for DIY instruction.
    Please note the bright red banner at the top of the page.
    There are others that can help though.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    I understand - like I said I figured the current situation would see this as an exception.

Post Likes
    Not that we’ve been told at this time.
    But a meter is your friend. Don’t start replacing anymore parts until you diagnose first.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

5. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    How many wires go to the gas valve???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    If you find the sequence of operation the issue should not be hard to determine. There is a safety doing it’s job.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas