Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Can you recommend REST API controllers?

Hi all,

I am looking for a manufacturer which offers controllers with REST API capabilities. I have my eyes on Distech and Easy IO (never worked with them).
    I am looking for a product line which supports security communication too.
    For example: Belimo Energy Valves have REST API, but they only offer http digest authentication at this point (Which is not secure!) Best case scenario will be https with OAuth 2.0.
    Do you have any experiences with those? What would you recommend?

Thank you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fixithvac View Post
    For example: Belimo Energy Valves have REST API, but they only offer http digest authentication at this point (Which is not secure!)
    Hell the early versions cannot be firmware upgraded. Not sure if the recent ones even can. If security is a sell point, not sure why the hell you want your control valves on IP anyway. Its going to be some bottom of the barrel half arsed interface that simply shouldn't be 9/10 times.

Briefly looked over the Distech API and it looked fairly complete and straight forward. Off memory it also supported SSL.
    Last edited by orion242; 03-31-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

3. Likes bigguy158, s2sam liked this post.
    Post Likes

Re

You don't use the provided user interface, but the REST APIs. You create your own interface the way you want. You can have multiple devices on a single app - lights, motion sensors, projectors, network, access, room scheduling, TVs, appointments, even your own twitter thread if you want. No more Bacnet, LON or modbus. No more MSTP low speeds and limited functionality.
    The new Belimo valves can be updated, but their latest versions still are not secure. The older EVs have hard coded password which can not be changed!! They do not have REST APIs. Belimo Cloud offers secure APIs, but from the device to the cloud there are security holes.
    What's the point of having IP device and running MSTP? If you have IP interface and don't think about security, then what do you think about?

Post Likes
    I can provide a more secure solution with all the same data points and its 100% fail safe equipment damage free from what your suggesting.

All ears on how you do this over IP and crappy APIs.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

6. Likes s2sam liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You are a pneumatics guy!

Post Likes
    All apps on your phone use REST APIs. Facebook, twitter, instagram, google suite, banking apps - everything is that way.

Post Likes
    This should be good.....

10. Likes stanbyyourword, MaxBurn, xarralu liked this post.
    Post Likes
    All apps on your phone use REST APIs. Facebook, twitter, instagram, google suite, banking apps - everything is that way.
    The BMS industry predates these things and has a much slower adoption of technologies. The BMS equipment is tied to the life cycles of buildings, not the IT gear inside them.

Secondly you are proposing "yet another" method for integration. There is an established list of protocols in the industry and REST might be edging in but you've got to make a business case on why the industry needs to add this one so we don't end up here, again;

12. Likes s2sam, crab master, dracula, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What's the point of having IP device and running MSTP? If you have IP interface and don't think about security, then what do you think about?
    I think since I speak English, the whole world should just adopt it. Just make it the standard language.
    It ain't going to happen.
    Controls, the cause of... and solution to... all your HVAC problems.

14. Likes MaxBurn liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You just gave me my first big grin of the day!!!
    Hope your're doing OK and stay safe.

Drac
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Post Likes
    You are a pneumatics guy!
    Fixit you didn’t answer Orion’s question. You just changed the subject. How is Ethernet 100% failsafe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy158 View Post
    Fixit you didn’t answer Orion’s question. You just changed the subject. How is Ethernet 100% failsafe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Orion has no idea about cyber security, and says he can offer more secure solution! His only solution is the JACE!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by control$ View Post
    I think since I speak English, the whole world should just adopt it. Just make it the standard language.
    It ain't going to happen.
    You have Belimo EV, and still wanna use MSTP??

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast