Post Likes

Trane XV95 + CleanEffects + HW TH8321R1001 no longer doing low speed circulating

I have a Trane XV95, Trane CleanEffects and Honeywell TH8321R1001 thermostat that are several years old.

After install they were operating as I wanted them to... two-stages of heat, full speed fan when either heat stage was on, and low speed fan at all other times to keep some air circulating through the CleanEffects and the home. I also have an XB13 as part of the system for what its worth.

At some point, however, the low speed fan circulation stopped working. I'm not sure how or when this happened and I'm having trouble figuring out the correct settings on the furnace and thermostat to restore the functionality.

Can anyone give me a list of things to check / reset on the furnace and/or the thermostat?

Thanks,
    Kent

Post Likes
    Is the fan speed set to ON? If so, check your program and see if any of the time periods got changed to AUTO or CIRC.

Post Likes
    Is there a way to bypass low fan speed in low fire? (asking the pros more than the OP)

Did it happen after a service or repair?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw;25848629[COLOR="#0000FF"
    ]Is there a way to bypass low fan speed in low fire? [/COLOR](asking the pros more than the OP)

Did it happen after a service or repair?
    I think it depends on the age. If blower function is set with dip switches then no, I don't think so. If it has a CDA then it may be possible. It seems like in the set up through the CDA there may be an option, but I would have to look to be sure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Is the fan speed set to ON? If so, check your program and see if any of the time periods got changed to AUTO or CIRC.

I checked all programs and confirmed fan speed setting is ON.

So the fan is running 24x7 but it still seems like it's circulating more air than necessary. It's quite noisy.

Is it easy to check the blower settings to see what % speed the fan is running at when ON with no HEAT call from the thermostat?

Thanks again. I really do appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Kent

Post Likes
    The variable speed fan will increase speed if its struggling to pull air in, maybe from perhaps a dirty EAC or filter. Anything beyond checking the airfilter will require an electrical meter and knowledge on operation to tell what the problem is. Guessing with one of these is pricey!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    The variable speed fan will increase speed if its struggling to pull air in, maybe from perhaps a dirty EAC or filter. Anything beyond checking the airfilter will require an electrical meter and knowledge on operation to tell what the problem is. Guessing with one of these is pricey!
    X2!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ