Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

3/29/20 Requesting Help Please

Current Equipment Installed ~Aug 2007
    Heat Pump = Goodman Model GSH130181, 1.5 ton 13 SEER
    Air Handler = Goodman Model ARUF182416, 1.5 ton, 3 speed air handler

Need to cool/heat two areas
    1. Kitchen/Den = 720 sq. feet (6,552 cubic ft)
    2. Bedroom/bath/walk in closet = 375 sq. feet (3,375 cubic ft).

Known Problems
    1. Mold identified in air handler
    2. Air Supply Duct not connected/sealed to Air Handler well.
    3, Den “ceiling” is uninsulated = runs hot in summer, cool in winter. I can insulate in future with 1” foam panels in future.
    4, Bedroom and Walk in closet can develop mold issues on clothing, fabric, nylon.

Current State of Mind:
    I am open to the following Manufacturers: Goodman (Daikin, Amana), Bryant (Carrier), Heil, American Standard (Trane)....or other manufacturers that hvac professionals might consider for their own home (if you were to install something for yourself, mom, or dad). I would prefer to stay away from the bottom of line/entry models(?)

Questions:
    1. What Do I need for equipment?
    2. Tonnage: 1.5 ton? 2 ton?
    3. SEER: 14 or 16 SEER? Higher?
    4. Stages: variable, 2 stage, 1 stage?
    5. OK to re-use the existing refrigerant lines (which has R-22 in them)
    6. OK to re-use existing flex-duct? Is the insulation of flex duct adequate to begin with?

7. What do I need to address mold – and maybe this COVID-19/virus/bacteria concerns?
    a. UV lights?
    b. Variable speed fan to draw more moisture out of air during start of blowing cycle?
    c. On board vs. thermostat “environment” controls?
    8. Can someone explain what the “ideal” “comfort” range is: relative to humidistat (or dew point?) and temperature controls?

9. What Make, Heat Pump Model, Air Handler Model would you rx – as if you were going to install for your own home or for a loved one?

And, Most importantly –
    10. how do I find a good installer?
    a. What questions should I ask?
    b. What qualifications are most important? NATE certification? Experience? BBB reviews?
    11. What should I require as part of the work order so that the installers are accountable for a good install?

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any professional advice that you can offer.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Likes
    The installing contractor makes or breaks a job. Choose the contractor before the name on the boxes

This might answer some of your questions
    http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...ign_Issues.pdf

Not a fan of Angies list but good reading
    https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...vac-brands.htm

3. Likes abtmc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks. Not sure how to go about finding a competent/qualified installing contractor. Certifications? Experience? ask for prior customers in area? Local BBB? Am hesitant to use things like google or yelp reviews - or even testimonial on website (that might have been scrubbed?).

Post Likes
    Referrals from family or friends.

Post Likes
    You are correct
    BBB, Yepl, Angies list, are all PAY for review.

Friends, neighbors, church groups. Get references and follow up with those.

When you call them ask "How do you know what size I need?" if they answer a Manual "J" calculation they pass, if "Ive done this X # of years they fail.

We have a contractor locator on this site
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...rs-Locator-Map

Heres another good source
    https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Tell the bidding Contractors you want AHRI matched systems. If at the very least, some manufacturers require AHRI matched system to receive the maximum manufacturers warranty once registered. Depending on SEER, EER, and HSPF if your state or local utility company offers rebates you need matched systems.

There are Federal Tax Credits also, but again need to show a certain SEER, EER HSPF. You can’t go by the rating of the OD unit alone to get ratings, it’s a team effort of indoor selection and outdoor selection.

https://www.energystar.gov/about/fed...ty_tax_credits

One source for possible rebates https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iQc0GVu13UMfK_

One source for load calculation https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wxqi0c65CNPb1r

At least one manufacturer require/recommend a inverted loop on the larger copper line ( the insulated one ) before reaching the Air Handler if it’s mounted higher than the OD unit.

Your open auxiliary drain looks to be wet, so guessing it overflowed into the auxiliary drain pan more than once.

BTW I can see light at the end of the tunnel on a couple of your photos, hopefully that’s a good sign of things to come...

Post Likes
    thanks for the tax credit and rebate info. Will look into it. I was trying to calculate needed BTU. Currently have 1.5 ton.

The Den/Kitchen is an open space. 11 windows, 2 double doors that lead outside (1 facing West, 1 facing East). Kitchen has gas stove/oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer, 1 in cabinet microwave. the roof over den is uninsulated.

Bedroom has 2 windows (facing South), and one single door that leads outside (facing East).

Does anyone have a manual j worksheet that I can fill out?

Name:  layout windows doors.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  1.84 MB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaInUSA View Post
    thanks for the tax credit and rebate info. Will look into it. I was trying to calculate needed BTU. Currently have 1.5 ton.

The Den/Kitchen is an open space. 11 windows, 2 double doors that lead outside (1 facing West, 1 facing East). Kitchen has gas stove/oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer, 1 in cabinet microwave. the roof over den is uninsulated.

Bedroom has 2 windows (facing South), and one single door that leads outside (facing East).

Does anyone have a manual j worksheet that I can fill out?

Name:  layout windows doors.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  1.84 MB
    https://www.loadcalc.net/

You still need the installing contractor to do there own and compare the #'s.

Post Likes
    Definitely will require them to do manual j calcuilations, and have them provide copy.

I'm learning....lol.

Post Likes
    “ Does anyone have a manual j worksheet that I can fill out? “

pecmsg and myself gave it to you....

If you do consider a Daikin/Amana/Goodman here is some info that talks about the lineset size they recommend for tonnage and length of run of lineset. Also shows the inverted trap they recommend. Page 3 dated 2019.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/relate...ons%202019.pdf

From here your existing lineset looks like 3/8” OD X 3/4” OD. May need to add extra lineset to make the inverted trap?

Don’t know where you reside, but if it’s in a snow belt state, the OD unit needs to be elevated for proper water drainage during/after defrost. Do you have electric heaters element?

Make sure they install a shutoff switch for the Air Handler, as yours looks like they just hacked wire nuts and a short piece of wiring.

Commissioning report/start up report also, things like final field refrigerant charge, static pressure, amprege draws, etc. etc. are to manufacturers specifications.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 03-29-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Post Likes
    Please tell me the duct is getting ripped out and redone as well?? I would tear out everything up there and clean it out thoroughly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Please tell me the duct is getting ripped out and redone as well?? I would tear out everything up there and clean it out thoroughly.
    You'd have to...Theres no damn room to move!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    By duct, I'm guessing that you're referring to what I call the "main" duct from air handler? Wan't sure if it could be reused or outright replaced, replace all the flex duct too? Not much space in attic.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast