Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes

    Anyone voluntarily not working?

    So as the thread title implies, im not working voluntarily. Im in an area of TX that is currently in full lockdown “essential services only” My employers are running full-tilt on early A/C pm’s and I am trying to reason with them that they are putting us at increased unnecessary risk for exposure to this
    Covid-19 virus. Broken units I get but not maintenance, not right now... I want to hear what others think about this and if anyone feels the same. Extraordinary measures are being taken at the office to avoid contact with each other and “stop the spread” measures, yet were expected to open evap coils and blower compartments as if its like nothing! What y’all think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,668
    Post Likes
    I’m not an expert by any means. But I don’t think working on equipment is that risky. Your employer is trying to keep the guys working. If you aren’t comfortable I’d let the boss know you would like a lay-off or reduced hours. We have made it clear to our guys they can take time off if they want too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    11,849
    Post Likes
    I don’t think it lasts that long in the air to make it to a piece of air handling equipment, then live long enough in the unit for you to wonder along, open the unit and contract the virus.
    We are doing whatever we can at the moment to keep going. A lot of sites are shut down. Not really enough work to go around to give everyone full weeks. Some guys have been forced into layoffs. Some residential companies are going into hibernation until things start going back to normal. If you have work I’d feel very lucky.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

    “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

    Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    881
    Post Likes



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

  5. Likes Sabr7, ksefan liked this post.
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,696
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CoolPilot View Post
    So as the thread title implies, im not working voluntarily. Im in an area of TX that is currently in full lockdown “essential services only” My employers are running full-tilt on early A/C pm’s and I am trying to reason with them that they are putting us at increased unnecessary risk for exposure to this
    Covid-19 virus. Broken units I get but not maintenance, not right now... I want to hear what others think about this and if anyone feels the same. Extraordinary measures are being taken at the office to avoid contact with each other and “stop the spread” measures, yet were expected to open evap coils and blower compartments as if its like nothing! What y’all think?

    I am surprised many people are opening their homes for a maintenance under these circumstances. I would be more fearful on no cooling calls when they come. I wouldn't be surprised to see people being less than truthful about someone being sick to get their ac repaired.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,233
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I am surprised many people are opening their homes for a maintenance under these circumstances. I would be more fearful on no cooling calls when they come. I wouldn't be surprised to see people being less than truthful about someone being sick to get their ac repaired.
    Less then Truthful? That's a double edge sword. It can be 10 - 14 days of NO symptoms for both Us and the Customer. That's what's making this one so bad.

  8. Likes pageyjim liked this post.
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,696
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Less then Truthful? That's a double edge sword. It can be 10 - 14 days of NO symptoms for both Us and the Customer. That's what's making this one so bad.
    Very true. I meant knowingly having symptoms. I have seen many people make unwise choices just to get cool when their ac is out.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,233
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Very true. I meant knowingly having symptoms. I have seen many people make unwise choices just to get cool when their ac is out.
    I bet they have a Basement full of TP also!

  11. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobie View Post
    I’m not an expert by any means. But I don’t think working on equipment is that risky. Your employer is trying to keep the guys working. If you aren’t comfortable I’d let the boss know you would like a lay-off or reduced hours. We have made it clear to our guys they can take time off if they want too.
    I have already spoken to my boss, hence why im not currently working. I have a 12yr old daughter with asthma so my wife & I are being extra cautious. Just dont know how long we can hold out without a paycheck...

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    3,542
    Post Likes
    The Trump unemployment package pays up to $1105/week and is a huge incentive for guys not to work, my boss is pissed about the number of guys requesting to be layoff.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LEHIGH VALLEY, PA
    Posts
    718
    Post Likes
    Valdelocc, Like your Avator a Crusading warrior . when young i had knights and a castle for play , a striking bit of nostalgia . Cheers Jim

  15. Likes valdelocc liked this post.
  16. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    26,563
    Post Likes
    Since I'm strictly commercial A/C, the vast majority of my work is on a flat roof. A lot of customers I text when I arrive on site, lot less hassle than checking in in person, so almost no contact with people. If you don't want the Chinese Virus, just stop touching your face!

    Seems the only times I'm indoors is on the occasional split system or a building with VAV's.

    I "voluntarily" took last week off due to an injury to my hand. Will get paid for it though I need to use my earned PTO. Back to work tomorrow.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    The Trump unemployment package pays up to $1105/week and is a huge incentive for guys not to work, my boss is pissed about the number of guys requesting to be layoff.
    Is this something you would have to apply for or are you referring to the stimulus payments?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR