Post Likes

What Has Happened to the Code Forum? Changes in the IFGC.

Was going to post some significant changes in the Code forum for the 2018 IFGC (International Fuel Gas Code). But it's gone. I wonder if any other forums have disappeared since all the changes here? Yeah.

For instance you can now use up to a 6' ft, flex connector on all gas appliances and not just for range and dryer installations as in previous restrictions. Gas furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. can now use up to 6' flexible connectors.

Also galvanized steel pipe can be used for gas use pipe. This will save on the total installed cost if cleaning & painting is required for black iron pipe since the cost of galvanized pipe is only about 10% more than black iron pipe and by the way in craw spaces and damp areas they will not rust or never need to be repainted.

There are other changes in the IFGC also along with the 2018 IPC and IMC and the IECC. But not a "Code" rum to list the significant changes.

I have been going over them for a week now. Wonder if any other forums have "disappeared" in all the confusion? Yeah. Gees. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Interesting, do you have the code numbers for those changes ?

Post Likes
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Interesting, do you have the code numbers for those changes ?
    411.1.3.1 Maximum Length. "Connectors shall have an overall length not to exceed 6 feet. Exception: Rigid metallic piping used to connect an appliance to the piping system shall be permitted to have a total length greater than 6 feet."

Commentary: ….. "six-foot lengths have traditionally been used for range and dryer installations to allow the connector to be looped or otherwise arranged to allow limited movement …. The safety record for such connectors has been good, therefore, the use of 6-foot-length connectors is not limited to speciific appliances."

Furnaces and gas hot water heaters are defined as vented appliances in the "Definitions" section of the code.

403 Piping Materials, 403.4.2 Steel. "Steel, stainless steel and wrought-iron pipe shall not be lighter than Schedule 10...."

Commentary: "Previous editions of the code required steel pipe to be schedule 40 or heavier, primarily because steel pipe has traditionally been threaded or welded. ………………. Scheduled 10 is allowed to be connected by press-connected fittings listed to ANISI LC4/CSA 6.32...………………………………… Steel pipe includes black iron, stainless steel and galvanized. Contrary to popular belief, natural gas does not adversely react with the zinc coating on galvanized pipe."

The state of Georgia's 2020 Amendment to the 2018 IFGC has also deleted 404.11.1 Galvanizing. "Zinc coating shall not be deemed adequate protection for underground gas piping." This means that in GA you are allowed to bury galvanized gas pipe without any other protection.

Have to go now but there are many more but these are the most interesting IMHO. Yeah. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Thanks beenthere, I missed that one. Didn't see Codes in the middle. Thank you very much

Sen. Barry Goldwater

6. Likes beenthere, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah, its easy to miss.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    411.1.3.1 Maximum Length. "Connectors shall have an overall length not to exceed 6 feet. Exception: Rigid metallic piping used to connect an appliance to the piping system shall be permitted to have a total length greater than 6 feet."

Commentary: ….. "six-foot lengths have traditionally been used for range and dryer installations to allow the connector to be looped or otherwise arranged to allow limited movement …. The safety record for such connectors has been good, therefore, the use of 6-foot-length connectors is not limited to speciific appliances."

Furnaces and gas hot water heaters are defined as vented appliances in the "Definitions" section of the code.

403 Piping Materials, 403.4.2 Steel. "Steel, stainless steel and wrought-iron pipe shall not be lighter than Schedule 10...."

Commentary: "Previous editions of the code required steel pipe to be schedule 40 or heavier, primarily because steel pipe has traditionally been threaded or welded. ………………. Scheduled 10 is allowed to be connected by press-connected fittings listed to ANISI LC4/CSA 6.32...………………………………… Steel pipe includes black iron, stainless steel and galvanized. Contrary to popular belief, natural gas does not adversely react with the zinc coating on galvanized pipe."

The state of Georgia's 2020 Amendment to the 2018 IFGC has also deleted 404.11.1 Galvanizing. "Zinc coating shall not be deemed adequate protection for underground gas piping." This means that in GA you are allowed to bury galvanized gas pipe without any other protection.

Have to go now but there are many more but these are the most interesting IMHO. Yeah. Thank you very much
    Yes thanks for posting those I'll be taking notes.
    I didn't even know this forum existed 👍🏻

Post Likes
    The codes still there. The problem is homeowners going to home cheapo where they help and NO inspections or permits!

The worse part is if We do that were considered trained and should know better and are held accountable, but a homeowner can screw up and is not held accountable.