Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Compland 1phase compressor wont pump

Have a brand new unit, Copeland scroll, 230 single phase, started system, pressures are equalized, comp vibrates bad, swapped compressor per factory, same issue. All valves are open, checked capacitor.

Only thing I c!n think of, if factory wiring is not right and putting voltage and capacitor to wrong terminals. Ajy thoughts are appreciated
    Rather be golfing!

Post Likes
    Factory wiring wrong. That would be a first. But easy enough to check.
    Comp vibrates?
    Amperage
    Pressures
    Voltage

Post Likes
    Yes it vibrates, drawing 11 amp (rla is 28) pressures equalized at 205, voltage is 239

Post Likes
    Capacitor was checked, 100mfd, checked at 99.7

Post Likes
    Did you try blowing nitrogen through the lines when you had it open just to make sure there were no blockages? Wouldnt explain the equal pressures unless the internal bypass was opening.

Sounds more like its wired wrong causing it to run backwards. Look close at the wiring before you go much further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Single phase running backwards???

Post Likes
    Seen it happen on condenser fan motors and even inducer motors.
    Check the wiring at the capacitor because that's where I've always found that particular problem to come from.

Post Likes
    Can we get a model #

Post Likes
    Morning all

10. Likes pecmsg liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rimide View Post
    Single phase running backwards???
    Swapping the magnetic field of either the run or the start windings will reverse direction (changing both together will result in the same rotation).

If its running backwards then its probably wired incorrectly somewhere. Follow all the wires and confirm they go to the right locations.

If I were to guess I would think the wires to the run and start winding need to get swapped, That will flip the magnetic field I described at the top and make it change rotation. Make sure the wires are not miss labeled or plugged on incorrectly. Depends on how its wired, this change could happen at the compressor, or the capacitor, or some other component in the circuit.

Make sure the capacitor is the correct size (Ive heard a grossly oversized capacitor can cause reverse rotation but never seen it or tried it myself yet).

Emerson does make a point to mention that their scroll compressors can run backwards as a result of momentary power disruption. If the compressor is allowed to freewheel backwards and gets energized during this time it may result in reverse rotation, but that doesnt sound like its your issue here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    100MFD Capictor?? What does the cap look like? 2 bad comps? Wired wrong? Humph!!! Unit MN# SN#,,, Comp MN# SN#???

Where was the unit purchased thru? The bad comp was not handled thru them?

Post Likes
    My first thought is that you should check the wiring.

My second thought is that you should have done that before you replaced the compressor.

Is this a heat pump unit?

PHM
    --------

Have a brand new unit, Copeland scroll, 230 single phase, started system, pressures are equalized, comp vibrates bad, swapped compressor per factory, same issue. All valves are open, checked capacitor.

Only thing I c!n think of, if factory wiring is not right and putting voltage and capacitor to wrong terminals. Ajy thoughts are appreciated
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Now granted; I have not seen Everything - but I have never even heard of a 100uf motor run capacitor.

I would call Copeland and make very sure that is correct.

Or post the compressor model number and I'll do it for you - I have their app on my phone.

PHM
    --------

Capacitor was checked, 100mfd, checked at 99.7
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast