Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Is the HGRH system wired right? Solenoid valves mechanically stuck? Maybe it's bypassing the tx valve somehow? Just a thought. I was burned once by a tx valve on what I thought was a bad compressor. I've had one compressor come from the factory miswired- Tecumseh on a walk-in, start and run reversed although obviously it wouldn't cause it to run backwards.

Post Likes
    Bsburt, How would you make a comp run backwards?

Post Likes
    Well if it's three phase you would reverse one of the wires. Single phase you could do it with an "Annie". I've never seen a single phase compressor run backwards unless it was done intentionally to free it up by a technician. Condenser fan motors, yes, I've seen them run backwards with bad capacitors. I may see your point TechmanTerry, I wasn't thinking theoretically in this case. I've never seen a scroll single phase run backwards from the factory. Could happen I suppose.

Post Likes
    The old ANNIE would let you "bump" or jog a stuck compressor by reversing the run and start windings but IIRC it would then put the run cap on the run winding rather than the start.

You were supposed to just reverse it for a few seconds and then switch to normal. You could bump it back and forth several times to free the motor. I think that more than 30 seconds would cook windings.

That was quite a tool, would do many things. Including testing pot relays for drop out and pick up etc.
    Don't know why it is not around anymore. Could do 120 or 240 compressors.

Post Likes
    I think you mean, reverse any two wires on a 3 phase comp. And an Annie changes start for run,and run for start, to try to un-stick a stuck comp, but only temporarily. Or you can do the same thing yourself. I think!

There were a few diff types of Annies at the time,the one was as RLJN said. And the others purpose was????

Post Likes
    Yep. I've unstuck quite a few compressors with her! Some lasted a few more years to my surprise. But yes, that's what I meant, only as a diagnostic tool and to free a stuck one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsburt View Post
    Yep. I've unstuck quite a few compressors with her! Some lasted a few more years to my surprise. But yes, that's what I meant, only as a diagnostic tool and to free a stuck one.
    Now my Friend,this had better stay just between you and me,you agree!?!? My Lovely wife Annie has un-stuck me a few times over the past 20 years!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Now my Friend,this had better stay just between you and me,you agree!?!? My Lovely wife Annie has un-stuck me a few times over the past 20 years!!!!
    But that was with the Cast Iron Frying Pan!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    But that was with the Cast Iron Frying Pan!
    How did you know??? LOLALOT

Post Likes
    Well truth be told, I've always had a fondness of her. My Annie I mean, not your wife. Not that there's anything wrong with your wife, I'm sure she's a nice lady!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RLJN View Post
    The old ANNIE would let you "bump" or jog a stuck compressor by reversing the run and start windings but IIRC it would then put the run cap on the run winding rather than the start.
    Correct, The run winding would only be capacitive coupled to the start winding when you swap the two leads from S and R, just like the start winding is only capacitively coupled to the run winding when wired normal. You are swapping the two magnetic fields by doing this and therefore changing rotation. Swapping R and S will result in a change in rotation but not all motors will be able to operate that way for an extended period of time...

You were supposed to just reverse it for a few seconds and then switch to normal. You could bump it back and forth several times to free the motor. I think that more than 30 seconds would cook windings.
    some motors handle this better than others. Depends on how the windings are constructed. On motors designed to be reversible the run and start windings are, in at least some cases if not all, identical. The motors are reversed by doing exactly that, swapping run and start. They would be able to operate as per their rating equally in either direction.

That was quite a tool, would do many things. Including testing pot relays for drop out and pick up etc.
    Don't know why it is not around anymore. Could do 120 or 240 compressors.
    I’ve never seen this tool before, looks like I have something to research today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Bsburt, How would you make a comp run backwards?
    I would just beat on it with a 2 by 4. And if that didn't work, I would get My sledge hammer out and beat it until the fuses blew. Then quote a new compressor.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    How did you know??? LOLALOT
    Remember We've met Annie!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast