Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Me tinks de corona vire ees no right! Better to chec eet!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Compressor calls for a 100mf cap, but my thought was the wiring, I didnt just swap the comp, that happen after factory was stumped, they said swap it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Now granted; I have not seen Everything - but I have never even heard of a 100uf motor run capacitor.

I would call Copeland and make very sure that is correct.

Or post the compressor model number and I'll do it for you - I have their app on my phone.

PHM
    --------
    When have you seen a compressor wired wrong at the factory?

Post Likes
    @rimride

Can we get the model # of this mystery Copeland with a 100uf cap?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    without any technical info, it's very hard for us to assist you.

could be multiple problems with the unit, the compressor, other components, etc. etc.

I'm voting for another system component that is bad, causing re-circulation of refrigerant from the high to low side without passing through the metering device.

Post Likes
    Only very rarely on industrial equipment.

But, although I have never once gotten a DOA new compressor - I have two friends who have. <g>

This guy has had TWO DOA compressors in a row? On the same job / piece of equipment? Come on - Not A Chance in my opinion.

But let's get back to assuming nothing. Let's see:

1. the condensing unit model number
    2. the compressor model number
    3. the ohm readings of the compressor windings
    4. the voltage being applied to the compressor terminals as start-up.

Until then - we are working with nothing.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    When have you seen a compressor wired wrong at the factory?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Are your guage valves closed?

The factory is not on site. They have to take your word for it that the wires and voltages are correct.
    So in that respect, the factory could be "wrong" too.
    A long time ago I had a replacement compressor that really befuddled me.

I had changed it, tucked up under a 1 door reach-in. Lying on my side in dark , messy, conditions
    it would not run right. The name plate was jambed up against the bottom of the case so I couldnt read it again.
    The shipping carton had been taken.
    It turned out that I had installed a 230v comp on a 115 unit. WHOOPS!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Only very rarely on industrial equipment.

But, although I have never once gotten a DOA new compressor - I have two friends who have. <g>

This guy has had TWO DOA compressors in a row? On the same job / piece of equipment? Come on - Not A Chance in my opinion.

I had a friend who had the same thing happen....2 brand new compressors bad for same piece of equipment.

compressor went bad, supplier provided new one, it was bad.....supplier warrantied, the new one was also bad.

Turned out the first replacement, someone at the supplier fat fingered the entry in the system. the supplier provided a single phase (equipment was 3 phase)....that one roasted on start up, the contractor called the supplier for the warranty.....it was already in the system as a single phase, so they provided an identical replacement......of course it roasted also.

I happened to be standing in the store when my buddy (installed the second one) was trying to figure it out. we started talking about it, and I asked what the compressor ohm'd out at. when he told me, I said, "well that sounds like a good unit, as C-S and C-R = S-R"......he said, "wait, what? My unit is 3 phase!" that's when he realized what happened. there were 4 different techs, and 2 different supplier branches involved.....never would have happened if the first guy checked the data tag.

After that, the branches put up large signs that read "It is the responsibility of the contractor to verify compressor data tags before installation, we will not warranty compressors installed on incorrect voltage and phase units."

Post Likes
    Maybe this is the Guru and the factory installed 20-5mfd caps just for him

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rimide View Post
    Single phase running backwards???
    Would still run but Scream. Very noticeable!

Post Likes
    Goodman package unit discovered bad compressor. Gave information right off the unit tag as I was on site. Go pick up compressor at Goodman distributor and install it only to realize it's running slow. So what do I do, of course I now read the tag on the compressor. I now realize they gave me a 240 instead of the 480. So what do I do, call them back and explain what happened. The counter guys tells me I'm wrong that's the right compressor. I argue that I'm looking right on the units tag that says 480.
    Needless to say I went back and they gave me the right compressor.
    Since that day I always check the box right at the counter.

Post Likes
    Single phase running backwards? On a new RTU swap out,Rheem,on startup the Boss,Service Mgr,Top Tech were all baffled by the cond fan motor running backwards. The new unit was left off. They ALL went down into the Diner for coffee and to demand a new motor. They unwisely left me all alone on the roof,I investigated and I swapped the wires on the CFM run cap,then I started the new unit and it ran properly so I left the unit running. This unit was directly above my Boss & his ass kissing crew drinking their well deserved coffee & seconds later they all come running up the ladder,all yelling at me to shut the unit down,which I did not do. The Boss ran across the roof and turned off the unit while still cursing me. As the rest of the crew got to the unit,giving me dirty nasty scrowls, I simply pointed to the still turning fan blade and to the man(girls) they all demanded to know what I had done. I kept my mouth shut(up yours) and went down and got MY WELL DESERVED cup of coffee.LOLALOT!

I had just started at this new Co, Celsius Service if my mind still functions properly.LOL.

14. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast