Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

new hvac system needed

Hi Everyone,

Last week my Trane xr22 2.5ton hvac died. I have recieved 3 quotes to replace it and all are over $$ to install.

Here are the models in the quotes:
    Quote 1: 10 year parts and labor warranty
     Tempstar(15.00-SEER, 8.20-HSPF, ECM Blower, AHRI:204840447):Tempstar 2.5-ton R-410a heat pump condensing unit (model number N4H430GKP), matched with Tempstar air handler with all-aluminum evaporator coil and high-efficiency ECM blower motor (model number FXM4X3600AL) with 10kw supplementary heating elements.

Quote 2:10 year parts and labor and lifetime on compressor
    Amana asz1630 2.5 ton 16 seer and aspt37c14

Quote 3: 10 years on compressor and parts, 1 year labor warranty
    Lennox Elite Series EL15XP1-030-230, 2.5 ton, R-410A refrigerant, Lennox CBA25UHV-030, variable speed air handler.

As each are over $$ to install, I do not know which is the better one and will last the longest with least damage/repairs. Can anyone here give me feed back on which might be better?
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-27-2020 at 05:10 AM.

Post Likes
    It’s the installer, not the equipment that matters. A great installation of the lowest economy equipment will last longer and perform better than a crappy install of platinum equipment.

There are really only 4-5 manufacturers of equipment. Most equipment is very similar. THE HVAC CONTRACTOR IS EVERYTHING.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

3. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Contractor 1 was brady flanary and 2 and 3 local hvac shops

Post Likes
    Also is the amana lifetime warranty worth it or should I go with a 10 year warranty unit

Post Likes
    https://www.amana-hac.com/products/h.../16-seer-asz16

Says there is a rebate amount. BTW, if compressor ever fails to original registered owner, you get a new outdoor unit, not a replacement compressor. You have to read the fine print, as you may have to have yearly PM check with a receipt to get that lifetime outdoor unit replacement.

Make sure whatever brand you choose to have a AHRI matched system as rebates and the Federal Tax Credits would need to prove a certain SEER and HSPF.

Quote two Amana AHRI number is 8331308 gives 16 SEER, 13 EER, 9.5 HSPF

Quote three Lennox AHRI number is 202565763 gives 15.50 SEER, 12.50 EER, 8.50 HSPF

https://www.energystar.gov/about/fed...ty_tax_credits
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 03-26-2020 at 11:16 PM.

Post Likes
    Besides warranty, there is no real “best brand”.
    The contractors competency will determine how well the unit runs.
    Most equipment, unfortunately, is done wrong more often then right.
    Read here-

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...vac-brands.htm

http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...ty_Control.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...ent_Sizing.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/assets/d...ign_Issues.pdf

My first question would be do you really need 2.5 tons?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Yes my house needs a 2.5ton if not a 3 ton system and thank you for replying. Is any of the 3 going to have mire hardware problems then normal?
    Last edited by Titan17644; 03-26-2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

Post Likes
    How do you know your home needs a 2.5 or a 3 ton?
    What do you mean by “hardware problems”? There’s likely similar parts shared between the different brands you posted.

Post Likes
    Load balancing shows a 2.5 ton is needed by Brady Flanary in North Carolina. The problem is itthe old r22 trane could not heat or cool my house. Thus I was told a 3 ton would be needed or I could go 2.5 ton for cheaper.

Idk which to choose. And by hardware problems, I mean like capacitor goes out often, compressor dies alot, coils freeze over(clean filter) etc. My Trane system was a nightmare and we have spent thousands to keep it running till the reversing value failed.

Post Likes
    Sizing isn’t about pricing.
    Post the load calculation that shows you need 2.5 or 3 tons.
    All those problems you mentioned, could be directly related to install and/or service problems and are unrelated to unit quality.
    Frozen coils are a result of improper charge or inadequate airflow, not brand name.
    Pricing isn’t permitted here.

Post Likes
    Quote one Tempstar AHRI number given gives you 15 SEER, 12 EER, 8.20 HSPF

Hopefully all the numbers mentioned ( AHRI and SEER, EER, and HSPF ) for the Lennox and Amana are correct...

The only ones that applies for the Federal Tax Credits are the Amana and Lennox, and possibly any rebates your state or local utility company may offer.

In regards to the total package and warranty IMO the Amana beats them all, a higher SEER, EER, HSPF, a better manufacturers warranty. The Amana has a Copeland CoreSense compressor protection. Labor warranty equal to the Tempstar but superior to the Lennox labor warranty by far. Thou the Lennox Air Handler does come with a variable speed motor whereas the Tempstar and Amana comes with a constant torque ECM motor. I think your getting a great value for the money with the Amana, as a 10 year extended labor warranty are not cheap. As others have said need to find a company that will do a outstanding install following the manufacturers install guide of the indoor and outdoor units as closely as possible, and having correctly sized ductwork match for whichever brand model you choose.

Have them do a comprehensive startup/commissioning report also.

Does that price include the tax or is it plus tax? As plus tax can easily add several hundred dollars to the overall bill.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 03-26-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Post Likes
    “Idk which to choose. And by hardware problems, I mean like capacitor goes out often, compressor dies alot, coils freeze over(clean filter) etc. My Trane system was a nightmare and we have spent thousands to keep it running till the reversing value failed.”

Then purchase the Tempstar or Amana, you’ll be good for 10 years labor along with 10 years parts ( once registered ) Hopefully the manufacturers are offering the extended warranty and not the dealer, as if it’s the dealer goes out of business before the 10 year labor warranty period expires your stuck with no labor warranty, whereas if it’s backed by the manufacturer you would need to find another Contractor.

I don’t know all the details how that part works, but at least your covered.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan17644 View Post
    Load balancing shows a 2.5 ton is needed by Brady Flanary in North Carolina. The problem is itthe old r22 trane could not heat or cool my house. Thus I was told a 3 ton would be needed or I could go 2.5 ton for cheaper.

Idk which to choose. And by hardware problems, I mean like capacitor goes out often, compressor dies alot, coils freeze over(clean filter) etc. My Trane system was a nightmare and we have spent thousands to keep it running till the reversing value failed.
    What the hell is Load balancing? that's something that's done on an electrical panel!

1st get a load / loss calculation done. Not a best guess by a contractor that's been doing it wrong for 20 + years but an Actual Manual "J" calc.

Then read the information posted in post #6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast