Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Are you locked into using the general contractors A/C company by contract yet? if not, I would suggest you find another contractor.

Edit: Gas is SO cheap in Houston, why a heat pump? I don't personally know of any contractors in Houston, that have sold heat pumps, and I have probably over 40 contractors/friends in the business.
    I hope my builder is not locked in, cause I am not paying. Gas is SO cheap that's why I questioned it. I know no-one here that has a heat pump, and I asked my entire community on NextDoor, everybody I know, my banker, my mailman, friends of friends, current neighbors and new neighbors to be in the Heights. Not one had a heat pump or knew anyone that had one. The range of houses from 1000-4500 s/f. I don't want it, wasn't suggested to me, wasn't asked about it. It is so not going to happen. I appreciate your support and that of this forum, allowing me to vent. I want to stay sane and diplomatic during this conversation. I will try very hard, but don't put any real money on it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    You can do your own Load Loss here
    https://www.loadcalc.net/

Sure going to try, thank you for the link.

Post Likes
    Reading now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1584 View Post
    Reading now.
    Fast read, emailed to myself, and printed. That's a good link, makes sense to me. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Not endorsing Angies list in any way but a good read
    https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...vac-brands.htm
    Got it, thanks.

Post Likes
    With Dan's numbers, you need 11,316 BTUs in heat. The smallest gas furnace I know of is 26,000 BTU 80% or about 21,000 BTU out. Rather oversized. I don't know of any conventional split at 1 ton heat pump but a 1.5 ton with 5kw backup ought to be toasty. Most 1.5 tons aren't the full 18,000 BTU anyway.

7. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    May want to consider a two stage Heat Pump, where it can run on low stage a good bit if your thinking about going with a HP. They come in even increments, 2 ton, 3 ton etc. They make heater elements typically starting at 5 KW, 6 KW, 7.5/8 KW also. I believe the 5KW gives you around 17,000 BTU. You also do a two stage in straight cooling using a furnace or electric heater Air Handler.

They usually start at around 16 SEER thou....rebates and the Federal Tax Credits may come into play if they meet a minimum SEER and HSPF for HP. Straight cooling needs a minimum SEER and EER.

Make sure they bid AHRI matching equipment, especially if you go with the Trane, as I believe ( read in the fine print on the warranty sheet ) that to get the maximum manufacturers warranty the system needs to be a AHRI match equipment and you need to register your system.

Whomever you hire should do a startup/commissioning report on whatever system type you select.

Besides the standard labor warranty ( typically one year ) from the bidding contractor, manufacturers offer extended labor warranties as an option if that interest you. Usually they are either five or ten years.

BTW the system they proposed looks to be a AHRI matched system.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 03-26-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    May want to consider a two stage Heat Pump, where it will run on low stage a good bit if you go with a HP. They come in even increments, 2 ton, 3 ton etc. They make heater elements at 5 KW 6 KW, 7.5/8 KW also.
    Were guessing 1 - 1 1/2-Tons. If correct a mini is the only thing falling into that range.

Post Likes
    I really don't want a heat pump. I would like a, to me a regular air conditioner with a compressor and air handler with a dehumidifier. I would also like a natural gas furnace.

Just to add to all this, attached to the front of this garage is a pool house that was to be part of this system. From the beginning I said I wanted this zoned separate from the apartment over the garage, as I wanted to be able to use it as an open air porch anytime the temperature allowed. NOW, sorry for the caps emphasis not shouting, it will not be included as no one bothered to figure out how the ducts would get to this room. We have carefully accounted for every s/f in this build and there is no way to get the ducts there without looking like a cheap hotel. They even brought up a mini split. I don't want this as this will serve also as the main family room, it's 16X24, again with all wall detail design worked out. I have experienced mini splits in many different fairly new builds and this is not something I want for a main, highly used room in this build. So we are only finishing it out as a porch, and when the addition is done, ducts will be connected to this room.

So you all can feel my frustration that all my preplanning was wasted time, not address. Mind you before preceding with the rest of this project all will be on the plans in detail.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    May want to consider a two stage Heat Pump, where it can run on low stage a good bit if your thinking about going with a HP. They come in even increments, 2 ton, 3 ton etc. They make heater elements typically starting at 5 KW, 6 KW, 7.5/8 KW also. I believe the 5KW gives you around 17,000 BTU.

Make sure they bid AHRI matched equipment, especially if you go with the Trane, as I believe ( read in the fine print on the warranty sheet ) that to get the maximum manufacturers warranty the system needs to be a AHRI match equipment and you need to register your system.

Whomever you hire should do a startup/commissioning report on whatever system type you select.

Besides the standard labor warranty ( typically one year ) from the bidding contractor, manufacturers offer extended labor warranties as an option if that interest you. Usually they are either five or ten years.

BTW the system they proposed looks to be a AHRI matched system.
    I do see it is a matched system, I now know to look for that, so thanks.

Post Likes
    I really don't want a heat pump. I would like a, to me a regular air conditioner with a compressor and air handler with a dehumidifier. I would also like a natural gas furnace.

Just to add to all this, attached to the front of this garage is a pool house that was to be part of this system. From the beginning I said I wanted this zoned separate from the apartment over the garage, as I wanted to be able to use it as an open air porch anytime the temperature allowed. NOW, sorry for the caps emphasis not shouting, it will not be included as no one bothered to figure out how the ducts would get to this room. We have carefully accounted for every s/f in this build and there is no way to get the ducts there without looking like a cheap hotel. They even brought up a mini split. I don't want this as this will serve also as the main family room, it's 16X24, again with all wall detail design worked out. I have experienced mini splits in many different fairly new builds and this is not something I want for a main, highly used room in this build. So we are only finishing it out as a porch, and when the addition is done, ducts will be connected to this room.

So you all can feel my frustration that all my preplanning was wasted time, not address. Mind you before preceding with the rest of this project all will be on the plans in detail.
    Your demands are going to raise the price of this project extremely high.

Gas heat is fine but finding one for this small of a foot print is almost impossible. I believe 40K BTU's is the smallest and that's probably 2 - 3 times whats required.

No Heat pumps is your decision but I feel is a mistake. You Do Not have to use the heat feature if you choose not to.
    A small system like this "Zoned" ? Only a duel zone Mini will be small enough for this requirement but your against those.

Lets start with Step 1

You need an accurate Load Loss calculation done. Complete the form I sent you, get back with the questions you have and well help.

Then we will know what size equipment you need and what your options are.

Post Likes
    Were guessing 1 - 1 1/2-Tons. If correct a mini is the only thing falling into that range.
    Yes, so many decisions in life, I like to think of it as the OP is helping to keeping the global economy moving, as whatever brand they choose the parts come from all over the world...

Post Likes
    I will try to be brief and to the point, this is a new build in Houston, Tx. This part is a garage with 2nd story apartment(800s/f).
    Just so I'm reading this right, you're trying to a/c heat a total of 800 sq.ft. and this includes the 16x24 area?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast